dewarping fisheye image on camera IPC-EB5531

de4js

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been struggling with this for a while so perhaps someone can assist me on this subject.
I purchased a Dahua IPC-EB5531 fisheye camera at AliExpress . This is an affordable 360 camera that produces a circular video image.
The camera offers an excellent image but its standard form is a round hard the look at image
The DMSS mobile app allows you to dewarp the image making it look as though you have a PTZ camera and offers a normal readable image. This dewarping is being done in the mobile app, not on the camera.

When selecting this camera I expected there to be a dewarping feature on the camera itself. This should dewarp the OnVif video stream so that it offers a readable image to the application that I am using to store the images (Synology Surveillance Station).
I saw a youtube video explaining this feature and derived from this video that this model would be capable of doing this.

Now that I have the camera in place it turns out that there are no dewarping options available in the admin interface.

The Dahua website has an article on their website describing the onboard dewarping feature, they refer to 8000 series camera's that support this.
https://dahuawiki.com/Fisheye/On_Board_Dewarping

The missing options from the admin panel are shown in a picture from this article (inside the red square): DahuaWiki

In another document from the Dahua website which contains al the features per model, the 5531 model is mentioned next to two 8000 models and in the specification it seems that the 5531 model offers exact the same dewarping features as my camera (page 9).

I've updated the camera towards the latest firmware release (2.8 version from december third 2019) , nothing changes
I've tried contacting Dahua directly to ask questions on this matter but they dont seem to be able to help me since I purchased the cam in China. I also tried to persuade the seller to ask this question on my behalf at Dahua but so far no response.

I am looking for other owners of this cameramodel and their experiences.
Does any of you have the required settings in the admin panel, if you do wat software version is installed?
Is there any other way to have the Onvif stream dewarped?

I hope this thread will help others when thinking about purchasing a fisheye camera.
Any help is appreciated.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good camera Video Management Software can do the dewarping in realtime and interactively while you watch live or recorded video.

On the camera side, it definitely varies by exact Dahua model. Some are nicely featured and flexible, some are not.

Here's a N68BR4V with firmware System Version 2.622.0000000.6.R, Build Date: 2018-05-15 .

1595013233963.png

1595013185254.png

The Conditions - Fisheye page's Record Mode sets what the output stream looks like, whether it is full fisheye or dewarped.
The Live tab page allows you to do interactive dewarping but doesn't affect the stream.

de4js

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for responding Adam these we're exactly the features I was hoping for...none of them present in my 5531.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been struggling with this for a while so perhaps someone can assist me on this subject.
I purchased a Dahua IPC-EB5531 fisheye camera at AliExpress . This is an affordable 360 camera that produces a circular video image.
The camera offers an excellent image but its standard form is a round hard the look at image
The DMSS mobile app allows you to dewarp the image making it look as though you have a PTZ camera and offers a normal readable image. This dewarping is being done in the mobile app, not on the camera.

When selecting this camera I expected there to be a dewarping feature on the camera itself. This should dewarp the OnVif video stream so that it offers a readable image to the application that I am using to store the images (Synology Surveillance Station).
I saw a youtube video explaining this feature and derived from this video that this model would be capable of doing this.

Now that I have the camera in place it turns out that there are no dewarping options available in the admin interface.

The Dahua website has an article on their website describing the onboard dewarping feature, they refer to 8000 series camera's that support this.
https://dahuawiki.com/Fisheye/On_Board_Dewarping

The missing options from the admin panel are shown in a picture from this article (inside the red square): DahuaWiki

In another document from the Dahua website which contains al the features per model, the 5531 model is mentioned next to two 8000 models and in the specification it seems that the 5531 model offers exact the same dewarping features as my camera (page 9).

I've updated the camera towards the latest firmware release (2.8 version from december third 2019) , nothing changes
I've tried contacting Dahua directly to ask questions on this matter but they dont seem to be able to help me since I purchased the cam in China. I also tried to persuade the seller to ask this question on my behalf at Dahua but so far no response.

I am looking for other owners of this cameramodel and their experiences.
Does any of you have the required settings in the admin panel, if you do wat software version is installed?
Is there any other way to have the Onvif stream dewarped?

I hope this thread will help others when thinking about purchasing a fisheye camera.
Any help is appreciated.
Did it request that you install a plugin when you first connected to the camera, or can you see video without a plugin.
I would connect to the camera with IE or Chrome with the IE tab extension installed and see if it prompts for the plugin install.
Other wise, you will need either a NVR or Blue Iris or similar to dewarp any recordings.
That demo video appears to be using Dahua's SmartPSS software.
See more here:
Review-Dahua IPC-NB5531P 5mp Fisheye Camera IP Cam Talk

de4js

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Loony,

you seem to have some experience with this specific model. Interesting to see that documents with specs differ. Your specs indicate tripwire the pdf I linked in the Initial post from Dahua omits this functionality. Too many models, even Dahua seems to be lost. Thanks for the link to the review. the video you embedded shows dewarp options from the webinterface doesn’t it, or is this the idmss software? Looks quite similar to the webinterface. I did not get any pop-ups asking me to install plugins using the browser. Did not try IE yet but will check. Do you still have the 5531 available? If so could you check your dewarp interface options? Synology’s Surv Stat does support some fisheye but not this model. Unsure whether SS can dewarp for supported models. Perhaps I’ll give BI a go, demo looks good!

Last edited: