Did I install my new system correctly? (VPN/internet security)

dfalk

n3wb
Reaction score
New member here/first post. Been reading as much as I can the last few weeks and just recently installed my first system this weekend. I bought 2 2MP starlight cameras and an 8 channel POE NRV from Andy. Got everything installed this weekend and so far it's all working perfectly. Just have a couple questions on internet security.

• I have a WiFi router that I changed the admin/password on and made sure I have a strong WiFi password.
  • Connected my Dahua NVR to my router, made a strong password, and set a static IP address for it. The 2 cameras plug directly into the NVR
  • Installed PiVPN on a Raspberry PI 3+
  • Setup OpenVPN on my android phone and tablet
  • Use OpenVPN and tinycam pro to view my cameras when I'm not at home
Like I said everything is working just fine and I am very happy with it. Just want to make sure I set up all the networking stuff right to make sure my system is as safe as possible. Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You can check the is no inbound access by using a service such as ShieldsUp! from GRC.com
Use the full port scan.
Also - check that UPnP is disabled on both the router, and the NVR and cameras so they don't configure any inbound holes in the router firewall.