Did I make a Mistake?

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wondering if I made a mistake buying a couple of Dhaka cameras (IPC-HDW5631R-ZE & IPC-GDW5231R-Z) to test before buying all that I need. Today when I put a temporary camera in for a Vivotek that crapped out, I remembered that on my 12tb NVR that it is setup up to use only ONVIF cameras. In other words all I have to do to change a camera is to update the router and power on camera then use my iMac to set the configuration by selecting a certain IP.

Does Dahua do standard ONVIF? I read in a couple of places here that ONVIF was not supported.

Thanks for any help.

M

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wondering if I made a mistake buying a couple of Dhaka cameras (IPC-HDW5631R-ZE & IPC-GDW5231R-Z) to test before buying all that I need. Today when I put a temporary camera in for a Vivotek that crapped out, I remembered that on my 12tb NVR that it is setup up to use only ONVIF cameras. In other words all I have to do to change a camera is to update the router and power on camera then use my iMac to set the configuration by selecting a certain IP.

Does Dahua do standard ONVIF? I read in a couple of places here that ONVIF was not supported.

Thanks for any help.

M
Where did you read that? Read the specs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did read the specs. My question is does it work well in the "real world".

example when talking about ONVIF Manager - Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
It woeks just as well as any other onvif implementation....which means it depends on the nvr....
Ivs functions will likely not work...
Regardless it would be much cheaper to replace the NVR vs paying 3x for an inferior image vivotek...

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The NVR had no issues with a Hikvision I tested. Finger crossed. NVR has been great (knock knock), so no plans to replace it.

Thank you

M

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The NVR had no issues with a Hikvision I tested. Finger crossed. NVR has been great (knock knock), so no plans to replace it.

Thank you

M
did you test hikvision line cross and intrusion detection on the NVR itself?
what brand is the NVR?

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a very custom elaborate security system. Really no need to do anything with cameras except record data with accurate timestamp on ten IP cameras with good resolution. The short answer is no.

M

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a very custom elaborate security system. Really no need to do anything with cameras except record data with accurate timestamp on ten IP cameras with good resolution. The short answer is no.

M
Lol, elaborate and super secret... doubtful...
Regardless it will work just as well as the Hikvision or vivotek...

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you. As far as Security System, I am a retired (34 years) USAF engineer/Computer Scientist. I did all the circuits myself and that all I can say. Look forward to the testing of a couple Dahua cams...

M

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. As far as Security System, I am a retired (34 years) USAF engineer/Computer Scientist. I did all the circuits myself and that all I can say. Look forward to the testing of a couple Dahua cams...

M
yes but you state you have an NVR...is the model a secret? or are you simply recording video to nas?
and engineer/computer science degrees or certs dont impress me...seen lots of folks with those certs who have no clue.

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Using the NVR as a NAS if you will. Eg... "Really no need to do anything with cameras except record data with accurate timestamp on ten IP cameras with good resolution"

Thanks for the flame...

M

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Using the NVR as a NAS if you will. Eg... "Really no need to do anything with cameras except record data with accurate timestamp on ten IP cameras with good resolution"

Thanks for the flame...

M
More defection...why can't you simply state what you are using?
This kind of secret idoicy makes me question everything you post...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only ONVIF confusion that I’ve seen with Dahua cameras is that the account used to connect via ONVIF is a separate account, different from the account that owners use to connect to the camera to make config changes with.

Both accounts have the same username (admin), and have the same factory default password. And for most folks, when they change their admin password, the camera usually changes the password of the ONVIF admin account to match.

But sometimes the passwords get out of sync. When that happens, and the user types their admin password into a box asking for the ONVIF admin accounts password, it won’t work. And if they don’t understand what’s going on, it’s easy to just assume that ONVIF doesn’t work on the camera, when that’s not the case.

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your a great help Fenderman, being a staff member I guess I figured you would help new members not chastise them. Oh Well... not playing your games! CYA

M

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your a great help Fenderman, being a staff member I guess I figured you would help new members not chastise them. Oh Well... not playing your games! CYA

M
Good don't let the door hit you on the way out...this is a no bullshit zone.