Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes Jacksonian, it's faster and no hiccups and do PayPal like I did. But no worries Andy is the man.
I had no issues paying through AliExpress, the money went through right away as far as I could tell but if it's better for Andy to get paid through PayPal he should let us know because honestly I feel safer going through that I can dispute stuff with PayPal but it really makes no difference if nobody has issues with getting legit stuff through him in a timely fashion. I really want to test the turret so if I like it, which I think I will, I can try to order more before Chinese New year.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you have attic access, why use so much conduit for the cams? That's a lot of extra work. Just run a network cable to each soffit location from the attic.

Directv requirement is RG6 quad-shielded cable with a solid copper conductor. NOT copper coated steel. If you are doing your own install, this is not the place to cheap-out. Solid copper conductor allows for the required power from the receivers to the dish at a much greater distance.
The attic exists only along a portion of the north side of the house, most of the house is vaulted ceilings so conduit outside is way easier than patching what would ultimately be all the drywall in the house. The attic has direct access to only one camera location and 2 network drops in the house.

Thanks for the info on the solid copper core. I read somewhere that the solid copper core actually only needs to be between the device they call the "swim" ? and the dish on the roof as it is what powers the dish, the receivers themselves do not need solid copper core but I was planning on using solid copper to be safe.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as I get it soon I should be able to order more well before 1/22 lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had no issues paying through AliExpress, the money went through right away as far as I could tell but if it's better for Andy to get paid through PayPal he should let us know because honestly I feel safer going through that I can dispute stuff with PayPal but it really makes no difference if nobody has issues with getting legit stuff through him in a timely fashion. I really want to test the turret so if I like it, which I think I will, I can try to order more before Chinese New year.
As far as how Andy gets paid, I don't know...only he can answer that. Like you, I feel more comfortable paying through PayPal...that way I can dispute with them and my credit card company. But this is a non-issue in this case because it's Andy we're dealing with.

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For reference. Ordered 12/24 through Ali. No tracking number yet.

billv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For reference. Ordered 12/24 through Ali. No tracking number yet.
Ordered on 12/20 US and just got tracking number. Used PayPal for payment. Easy to do. Just ask Andy. He'll ask for PayPal user id (not password) and other into and send you an invoice thru PayPal.

Katodude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just got my shipping information from Andy. Yippieee. Soon comes the fun part figuring out how and where to install them. Lots of reading coming up for me.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same here. Getting Cat6, plate, and keystones now from mono.

Last edited:

rracctv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just got a tracking number yesterday for my order on 12/26. It was the wrong tracking number, but I am guessing it was shipped none the less.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not uncommon for something from China to "ship" with a tracking number, and then get a new tracking number that works a few days later.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Well I just got a DHL tracking number so let's hope it moves fast, heh heh

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine shipped Saturday and it is already at the local DHL. Should be here today or tomorrow. 3-4 days from china is incredibly fast. ....Especially for that price.

Well I just got a DHL tracking number so let's hope it moves fast, heh heh

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Happy new year to everyone! Just back from a short holiday and back to work today.
Have some updates here.
Got another stocks in, and shipped 32 parcels yesterday,but not enough for the guys who make the order on aliexpress, for the ones using paypal can be processed no problem.
Just wait for my updates for the tracking. If can't ship out, i will send message to you.

Appreciated for your support. Here will have a long Chinese new year holiday from Jan.22th-Feb. 6th. new stock will comes arond 20th So will not sell anymore till the stock in. But if you can wait or anything need my support, just skype to me, my skype ID is andy.tenvis

Andy

Thanks Andy for the updates. They are most appreciated. Happy New Year to you!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Andy did far more work on his first day back from the Holiday break than I intend to accomplish today, remember there is a language barrier and geographically he is practically on the other side of the world.

Think we blew out his stocks as his store shows 0 pieces available, and his parent store is showing only 1.. If I translated his Chenglish correctly then the next big shipment in stock is not due from Dahua until right before the Chinese new year, and not with enough time to process back orders before then so were back in the same boat as November, waiting for the OEM to get another large quantity onto the markets.

These might be hard to get your hands on until February I suspect, just be glad you got your orders in early.. Hopefully after the Chinese new years shutdown the limited availability of this camera will start to relieve, I kinda expect/hope these issues to be behind us come spring.. The Mini Black Face PTZ was hard to get like these when it was announced in summer of 2015, was not until spring of 2016 that they became widely available.

Meanwhile I ordered a IPC-HFW8232E-Z, 1/1.9" Starlight Varifocal Bullet from @EMPIRETECANDY and will soon do a head to head shootout with the Varifocal Turret with the big sensor starlights.. 0.002Lux@F1.53, and 0.0001Lux in B&W... This is not a budget friendly camera, but it'll be interesting to see how these two stack up against eachother.. UltraSmart 1/1.9" vs EcoSavy 3.0 1/2.8"

Last edited:

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Bummer, I ordered 12/26 and no confirmation yet but I went through Aliexpress as I gave Andy my Paypal ID and he never replied. Super busy guy, totally understand. Im sure it will come eventually. Its all good. Good to know we can trust someone out there. Otherwise Id be having a fit knowing the money was yanked immediately and not even a confirmation. Again, I need to learn patience.

Reactions: Tic

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
...Meanwhile I ordered a IPC-HFW8232E-Z, 1/1.9" Starlight Varifocal Bullet from @EMPIRETECANDY and will soon do a head to head shootout with the Varifocal Turret with the big sensor starlights.. 0.002Lux@F1.53, and 0.0001Lux in B&W... This is not a budget friendly camera, but it'll be interesting to see how these two stack up against eachother.. UltraSmart 1/1.9" vs EcoSavy 3.0 1/2.8"
Excellent, thanks @nayr you are always making excellent choices. I was just wondering the other day how these two would compare and if the price difference would be worth it or not.

I know I sound like a broken record but thanks again for doing endless research, comparisons, and above all else posts on these boards about your findings and ideas. You are the main reason I keep coming back to these boards, your knowledge, willingness to learn and try new things, your endless patience answering the same questions again and again, to help and educate new and existing users alike, you are truly such a generous person with your time and knowledge. Thank you @nayr from the bottom of my heart, I really appreciate everything you do on these boards and I am sure countless others do as well. I am sure many people will say I am being overly flattering or sucking up to @nayr and perhaps I am, but I challenge them to find another user on any other forum of any topic who can rival him. So from all of us on ipcamtalk, thank you so much @nayr for doing such good work.