Difference between Hikvision 76xx and 78xx series

Discussion in 'NVR's, DVR's & Computers' started by glenncol, Dec 1, 2014.

Share This Page

1. alastairstevenson

alastairstevenson Staff Member

Hello,
    Both NVRs show similar utilisation - and both remain very responsive at both the GUI and command line and VGA/HDMI interfaces.
    One has 6 IP cameras recording 1080P continuous and motion/intrusion etc detection, and another 2 720P cameras continuous recording, and is also feeding from PoE ports 5 1080P streams to another NVR and 3 1080P streams to a QNAP NAS with Surveillance Station. And it runs absolutely fine, no recording glitches, responsive UI, responsive at the command line, no errors in the logs, zero crashes.
    As I said - I'm impressed with how well it performs.

I understand where you are coming from in your comments about the load averages.
    But I believe you are comparing the figures with what you'd see on a Linux box sitting waiting for your next keystroke, or maybe browsing the net or downloading an update.
    Compared with that, the NVR is a very busy box indeed, and it's normal to have a large number of items queued up ready for processing. Remember it's a real-time processing environment.
    That does not necessarily mean it's overloaded - though it could do in other circumstances.
    Remember also that the SoC has a fast and busy DSP on board that is used to do the hardware encoding and decoding of video, and is under control of the main CPUs which queue up its tasks.

To reinforce the statement that what's being seen is a consequence of the type of job the CPU is performing - take a look at the figures for an IP camera.
    You will see a very similar picture, showing what you might consider some scarily high load averages. Though on the Hik cameras, the CPU is much more utilised, depending somewhat on what analytics have been configured and enabled.
    Here is an example:

2. jesd03

jesd03 Getting the hang of it

not sure how accurate this is but it was on one of the Australian forums:

8 Port Hikvision NVR – You can get it from the alibaba sellers listed above. Note: Only Buy 76XX series as that is for International Users. 78XX is for China and can have issues in future. For compatible HDD look at .....

not sure if am allowed to post links to other forums

3. alastairstevenson

I have a couple of 78xxN-E2 NVRs bought from Aliexpress that were aimed at the Australian market - 7816N-E2/8P (lang=1) and 7816N-E2 (lang=2 (CN)). They have been fine, no problems.
    On the 7816N-E2 I have installed as experiments various 3.0.8, 3.0.10, 3.2.1 78xxN-Ex firmware and all has been OK, accepting cameras with language=1.
    Also 3.0.8 and 3.0.10 7616N-E2 firmware both EN, CN and ML versions.
    When needed changing the firmware language with the really useful Hiktools utility if there is a complaint about 'language mismatch'.
    The menus and the VGA/HDMI interface have all been able to operate at least in English so far.

This forum's admins are pretty good and favour open and helpful dialogue over excessive rules - I believe an external link to something helpful or useful or interesting would be fine.
    These sort of statements without detail are not helpful

4. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

You can post any useful links you like...we are all about maximizing information sharing...

5. jesd03

jesd03 Getting the hang of it

6. alastairstevenson

7. glenncol

glenncol n3wb

You will not find the 78xx series being sold anywhere else in the world besides China, i have had this information confirmed by Hikvision's Asia Pacific Sales Manager so thats why is on the wiki.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2015
  8. alastairstevenson

Yes, quite true, as far as I can tell.
    Which means the prices are low.
    Which also reduces the chances of the firmware being messed with to make it work outside the China region ...

9. GMD99

GMD99 Young grasshopper

I see from the links that these NVR's have Australian power supplies which I believe is 230V 50Hz. Does anyone from North America have experience ordering one of these units?

10. scn101

scn101 Getting the hang of it

The different models either use a built in power supply or an external adapter. Either way both use an IEC standard cord and automatically adapt to 120V/60Hz.

Update: the DS-7816N-E1 that I just received came with a wall wart with USA prongs and an adapter for 220V.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015