Do 5MP ip camera's slow down the network

joecam

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking to get about (16) of the H.265 5MP cameras and a H.265 NVR and want to know if it will slow down my network terribly? Thanks

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
and want to know if it will slow down my network terribly?
Assuming we are talking LAN access and not WAN access here.
If you have a gigabit wired network throughout, or even just on the core, the answer would be no, as even if the traffic from all of the 16 cameras is aggregated down one connection such as the NVR LAN port (ie they are all LAN-connected, not NVR PoE port connected) that's only 16 x (5 - 10Mbps) say 150Mbps.
But if your network is still 'Fast Ethernet' (10/100Mbps) then it's probably time to consider some updates.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am looking to get about (16) of the H.265 5MP cameras and a H.265 NVR and want to know if it will slow down my network terribly? Thanks

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
make sure the cams/nvr are from a known tested brand or you will be sorry. As alastair said it will not affect your network..remember, that the mp rating is irrelvant to the network bandwidth...its all dependent on the bitrate you set the camera to.

joecam

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions guys. Yes the concerns were over the LAN and I have a GB switch so that should work. Any recommendations on a good 5MP IP Poe camera with good night capabilities in a tropical environment? Dome vs Bullet?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you have your network setup properly in which your IP cameras are hooked up to a seperate switch so the idle traffic stays off your router, you can have hundreds of cameras and it wouldnt affect your network given that you have quality switches with gigabit uplinks. The only time your "networK' would experience any kind of traffic from your IP camera system would be if a device such as a computer or cell phone requests information from that system for remote viewing purposes, then the combined bandwidth from the total amount of cameras that you are viewing at one time would be sent through that router.