Do you record 24/7 or just motion?

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As the title states, what recording method do you all use? I have all of my cameras currently recording 24/7 and saving motion alerts. I'm trying to think through a pro/con list of doing both instead of just saving the alerts which will also save me a lot of hdd space.

Thoughts?

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is my thinking as well. My boss was just discussing how he only records the alerts this morning and got me thinking. I believe I will just leave them on 24/7, but just wanted to see what others do. Thanks for your input!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I record 7/24. I do not want to miss anything. Sometimes with motion the most important thing happens out size of the trigger zone. With motion you either have too many false alarms or you miss something.

Storage is cheap.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
24/7 on my HDD. Motion only on the micro sd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends on the location and if its inside or out. I have a mixture of both.

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
General consensus leads me to keep my current settings of 24/7 recording and saving my alerts. Appreciate all of the input!

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Crap - I need to look into that. I'm one of the few who rely solely on motion. :facepalm:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
24/7. You can never be too careful. It is good to play back to see that person and if thy were up to anything suspicious before the motion alert.

I do record on motion for doorbell though through Blue Iris. I don't think 24/7 is necessary there.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I do 24/7 recording with motion alerts so that I can lookout for the neighbors as well. All the motion alerts are only for activity within my property lines. But if a neighbor has something happen in an area my camera happens to cover, I can go back and find video for them. I've also had motion alerts miss activity before - had a guy creeping around and his clothing happened to be similar color to the lawn under IR light so it never triggered. But since I have 24/7 recording I was able to go back and find him.

Reaction score
Outdoors, 24/7 with Motion Alerts.

Inside sometimes. Our H/A system changes our inside cameras based on whether we are home and the house is awake - no continuous recording or motion; we are home and the house is asleep - motion but not continuous recording; we are not at home - continuous recording plus motion.

There are other triggers that will put our inside cameras into continuous recording plus motion such as if an exterior door or window is opened and it shouldn’t be, as in a break-in.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you record 24/7 or just motion?
Both. With 2 NVRs, one set for continuous on all cameras, one set for motion / smart event only on the same cameras.
With one NVR and PoE switches in a hidden location, the event-driven one not so.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sounds like I need to up my game and go 24/7. Haven't missed an alert yet though.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thing is without recording 24/7 you really dont know....
I suppose that's correct, however everything I've needed to go back and look for (solicitors, animals tearing stuff up, neighbor kids littering, what set the car alarm off, etc) has been captured in an alert.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I suppose that's correct, however everything I've needed to go back and look for (solicitors, animals tearing stuff up, neighbor kids littering, what set the car alarm off, etc) has been captured in an alert.
I ran mine on motion for about a year and finally went to continuous and I'm so happy I did. I kept my alert settings the same as they were but now I can see before and after the alerts. You'd be surprised what you see, maybe important, maybe not but if you can switch to 24/7 you won't regret it.