Does this camera/set up sound ok

Reaction score
Due to postage issues (I'm in Australia) using the ipcamtalk store is a no go.

Basicly just after a basic set up 2 - 3 wired cameras 4mp starlights link below.

Then add a cheap doorbell camera to the mix. Which is all simple enough I wouod also like to add a few super cheap wireless cameras one for the gun room and 2 on the shed. Any ideas on these?

Also if I read correctly I won't need a dvr just a pc running blue iris I've obtained a hp pc from work as it was of the network to long and was to hard to get back on and running win 10 (we have only just upgraded) it's a i7 6th or 7th gen small Hdd but have added a old 4tb wd green in (not ideal in know it has low hrs as it was just a back up drive) Its got 16gb of ram I stole from my old amd gaming pc.

I think I'll add another network card to get me another gigabit port and a WiFi card/USB so I can keep my security network seperate to my home network.

Due to home construction it will not be possible to add wired cameras to shed

Then I simply add a poe switch to power up cameras and go for it or am I missing anything.

This is the cameras I'm considering.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd suggest you contact Andy for that camera. He can be reached at any of these links and sells Dahua products that are legitimate International versions that can be easily upgraded as firmware changes. The problem with eBay and many sellers is that they sell hacked versions that will turn into a brick if you attempt to upgrade the firmware. He uses DHL, primarily, for shipping, guarantees the product and provides excellent service.

kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
forum: EmpireTech Andy

Reaction score
Yep emailed him he got back to me now I've just gotta decide how much effort/holes in the wall I want and see if I can get all wired cameras.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Make the effort, don't, repeat DON'T, use WiFi cameras. If you really need a WiFi camera, and that is actually not possible since a WiFi camera needs a wire for power, consider using a Ubiquity Nano Station Loco to make any PoE camera a WiFi camera. The Nano Station is a secure RF link with proprietary encoding that won't be hacked very easily at all. It can still be vulnerable to being diabled by another transmiter on the same frequency, but that seems fairly unlikely.

Reaction score
All main cameras will be wired covering entrances. Just the shed and gun room ones.

As my 2 story house has been converted underneath it may mean using sheilded cable running close to powercables and small run of uv stabilised cable to shed.

My brother in law actully does a bit of this stuff on contract but he works for the prison and he has very limited real world experience, his is all new stuff with cable trays just for data.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use a Nano Loco for my sheds. There was already an underground electrical service so installing a small PoE switch, cameras and the Nano Loco was very simple. A single WiFi camera might be OK, but I'd still try getting a CAT cable to it one way or another.

Reaction score
Make the effort, don't, repeat DON'T, use WiFi cameras. If you really need a WiFi camera, and that is actually not possible since a WiFi camera needs a wire for power, consider using a Ubiquity Nano Station Loco to make any PoE camera a WiFi camera. The Nano Station is a secure RF link with proprietary encoding that won't be hacked very easily at all. It can still be vulnerable to being diabled by another transmiter on the same frequency, but that seems fairly unlikely.
In this case, I take a new camera. I had a similar situation. The camera really helps to observe and remember who get in and out and what that person does. But, deciding that your business needs an efficient security camera (security industry) is not the end of it. There are many surveillance camera systems available for you to choose from, which makes the process of selecting the ideal video surveillance system for your business a daunting task. I have a small company, 10 people that make apps for, once our office was vandalized, they stole all our goods from the office, since that day I decided to install several cameras, and appealed at one of my clients The 5 Best Security Cameras For Business Reviews (2020), they said that wifi cameras are good, and has a long time period of work.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
WiFi can be hacked and there have been far too many examples of that. WiFi has limited bandwidth, IE you will hit a saturation point simply due to bandwidth limitations. WiFi is not reliable and is prone to signal drop out. WiFi can be jammed by a simple transmitter, think a type of walkie talkie or even your neighbors router/WiFi. WiFi cameras with batteries that are triggered by motion are even junkier and less dependable. Too may WiFi cameras require a "cloud" connection which means the video is not stored locally or accessed directly and you may have to pay a monthly fee depending on how much video you want to have available. Then there's the whole proprietary application that many of them require to even view the video.

Bite the bullet, buy a decent camera and run a CAT cable instead. WiFi is not better since they are consumer grade, AKA junk, no matter who puts their name on them like Ring, Nest, Hello or whatever. Small sensors, terrible low light performance, not matter what the advertising may say, limited frame rates, limited reference frame, iframe, rates and the list goes on. WiFi cameras have few, if any, of the built-in features of a wired camera. WiFi needs power so that means you're already running a wire to the camera. Bite the bullet and run a CAT cable and use a wired camera instead. Trust me, you won't be sorry.

Please read the Cliff Notes in the WiKi and learn what it takes to have a decent system.