DS-2CD2032 not working - Overheating

niofar

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a problem with a camera ds-2cd2032. With a 12V power supply the camera does not work (IR led doesn't light up). The camera gets hot in the upper part of the case and also causes a power supply overheating...:sad:
I can certainly rule out that it is a power supply problem.

What can i check?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a problem with a camera ds-2cd2032. With a 12V power supply the camera does not work (IR led doesn't light up). The camera gets hot in the upper part of the case and also causes a power supply overheating...:sad:
I can certainly rule out that it is a power supply problem.

What can i check?
How do you know its not the power supply? have you tried another? How many amps is the power supply rated for?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera always runs hot, they are meant too, check the power supply with a test meter, also check the IR plug on the pcb as ive seen a few of these with corrosion and this also causes the camera to fail.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How many amps is the power supply rated for?
I would second this! Also, I would be interested in how many amps the camera is actually pulling from the power source. Of course, you would need a tester to run "in-line" in order to figure that.

Only other thing I could think of is your distance from the power socket on the wall. If you're using a long cable or extension cable to reach your installation site, that can cause a drop in power. Alternatively (though less likely), if there's other electronics plugged into the same outlet, it could be an issue of the outlet not having enough power to handle the load. Would be especially true if you were using a surge protector or power splitter and had heavy power-consuming electronics (such as a refrigerator) sharing that socket.

Last edited by a moderator:

niofar

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, i tried to change the power supply but the problem is the same. Camera is not working, ir led is not lighting, camera emits a strong smell of burning...Power supply is 12V, 2 Ampere.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you're not sharing the same outlet with high powered electronics and the distance between the camera and the actual power outlet is not excessively far, then that would rule out a power issue. With the burning smell, that sounds like something has blown out on one of the circuit boards (fuse, capacitor, etc.)

If there's no kind of warranty on the unit, then you could always try taking it apart and looking at the internal circuit boards for dark/burnt spots. If you've got any soldering skills, it may be something you could replace. Or perhaps you could post some pictures of the internal circuit boards and someone here may be able to identify what has blown out and if it's something that could be easily replaced....Though my gut feeling is that repairing it, if it's even possible, would probably be more trouble than it's worth...Unless you're like me and enjoy the challenge of fixing electronics; Although with my eyesight not as good as it used to be and electronics becoming more and more compact/smaller, that once-enjoyable hobby is fast turning into a source of frustration.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, i tried to change the power supply but the problem is the same. Camera is not working, ir led is not lighting, camera emits a strong smell of burning...Power supply is 12V, 2 Ampere.

Is the 12v supply a regulated supply or is it a typical wall transformer with no regulation and crappy smoothing circuitry?

niofar

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the 12v supply a regulated supply or is it a typical wall transformer with no regulation and crappy smoothing circuitry?
Ahahah, it is a classic wall transformer, but...i have 8 cameras and only this is not working with this power supply.

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you've burned the board already. Burning smell?

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ahahah, it is a classic wall transformer, but...i have 8 cameras and only this is not working with this power supply.
Those typical transformers can output 20v or more under no load or a low load. The rated voltage is for it's rated current. Whereas obviously a regulated supply will keep it close to 12v regaurdless.

Just because other cameras don't mind, doesn't necessarily mean the supply is up to spec or suitable. Could be as simple as a lower than spec regulator or diode or similar.

There would be an onboard regulator that would conver the "12v" into either 3.3v or 5v for the onboard electronics. Maybe that fried. When voltage difference is very large, regulators tend to get much warmer. But yeah. No idea what has burnt but you gotta find out.