DS-2CD2032F: E-mail Suddenly Stopped Working

Domer82

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed a Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I about a month ago and got it all configured to detect motion events, take a few snapshots, and e-mail them to me (as well as record video clips to my NAS). But yesterday, the e-mails suddenly stopped. I logged into the camera (remotely, over the Internet from my office) and clicked on the "Test" button and it immediately generates a message stating, "Failed to connect the test server."

I haven't changed ANYTHING on the camera, my router, or my NAS; it just stopped working. I can obviously access the camera remotely without any problem and I can see live video.

Anyone have any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I installed a Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I about a month ago and got it all configured to detect motion events, take a few snapshots, and e-mail them to me (as well as record video clips to my NAS). But yesterday, the e-mails suddenly stopped. I logged into the camera (remotely, over the Internet from my office) and clicked on the "Test" button and it immediately generates a message stating, "Failed to connect the test server."

I haven't changed ANYTHING on the camera, my router, or my NAS; it just stopped working. I can obviously access the camera remotely without any problem and I can see live video.

Anyone have any ideas?
If using gmail, there is a thread discussing this for the NVR, likely the same issue.

Domer82

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have an NVR. The camera is just connected to my LAN and set up to record snapshots and video clips to my NAS.

Domer82

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, so what is the issue? Can someone point me to that thread?

What's baffling to me is that this was working fine for a month. I changed nothing in my system and it just stopped working.

Domer82

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, I tried that - I enabled access for less secure apps in the Gmail account but it still fails. If I disable SSL in the camera settings, it simply gives me an error message of "Testing Failed". So it doesn't work with SSL enabled or disabled, even with the Gmail account set to enable access for less secure apps.

Also, that thread was dated November of last year, so it doesn't explain why the camera was able to work for most of the months of May and June and just suddenly stopped working yesterday.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I tried that - I enabled access for less secure apps in the Gmail account but it still fails. If I disable SSL in the camera settings, it simply gives me an error message of "Testing Failed". So it doesn't work with SSL enabled or disabled, even with the Gmail account set to enable access for less secure apps.

Also, that thread was dated November of last year, so it doesn't explain why the camera was able to work for most of the months of May and June and just suddenly stopped working yesterday.
Read the last 10 posts of that thread - its not the same issue as the beginning of the thread. You will see this link.
http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.ro/2016/05/disabling-support-for-sslv3-and-rc4-for.html

Domer82

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, OK. That explains it perfectly. Thank you.

So am I just out of luck now or is there some other free e-mail that still works with Hikvision cameras?

2pi

n3wb
Reaction score
btw:

for 2CD2142FWD-IS
Capture.PNG

TLS support is already within firmware and works with gmail:
Capture1.PNG

but build 5.4.0 is actually no longer available ...

So looking forward for next official build...

ehaneber

n3wb
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2CD2142FWD-IS (US version) and I need TLS support to get my gmail working again. Does anyone have 5.4.0 available to download? Or is it best to just wait for the next official build?

Thanks

aedq

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I have the same issue but with various hikvision devices including nvrs, dvrs and ip cameras.
Is there any other smtp server that i can use with hikvision devices?, Has someone tested hotmail, yahoo servers?
thanks for your support.
Best regards

ehaneber

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick update - I updated the firmware on my 2CD2142FWD-IS (US version) to version 5.4.0 that has TLS support and my email alerts using gmail are now working.
Thanks for your help,

Domer82

n3wb
Reaction score
For some unknown reason, Gmail suddenly started working again yesterday on my Hikvision DS-2CD2032F. I didn't change anything in my system; e-mails simply started arriving again when motion was detected. So apparently this isn't related to Gmail ceasing support for SSL (unless they inexplicably resumed support). Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Domer82

n3wb
Reaction score
No. As a matter of fact, even though e-mail suddenly started working again several weeks ago, it inexplicably stopped working again last week. All of my other IP cameras continue to work just fine - only the Hikvision camera is affected.