DS-2CD2386G2 - AcuSense - Bad image quality on latest firmware (V5.5.134)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I just got a new DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL and it's on V5.5.131 build 200220
Date: 03/2021

Wondering if I should upgrade it to something newer or just leave it as is?
That firmware may well have this serious vulnerability :

To be sure - ask the seller, or check it with @bashis POC tool here :

star500

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

EDIT: Firmware 5.5.131 does not have the quality issue.

I have been having non stop quality issues with the latest firmware for the DS-2CD2386G2-IU. I have spoken to HikVision and they have been able to re produce it and have given me temp firmware that should resolve the issue.

The new firmware is 5.5.150 and it appears they have added a new setting for the AcuSense function as seen in the attached image. This setting is only present in the "Smart Events" and not available for Motion Detection it would seem.

I am currently testing the new settings to see exactly how they respond.

In regards to the image quality issue I was having, I will attach an example image. The best way I can describe the issue is when the I-Frame interval occurs, the whole image will go blocky as if it had really low bitrate or compression artifacts.

As I said, HikVision China has confirmed this is indeed an issue on firmware V5.5.134 and will be releasing a new firmware late October.

It looks like the new firmware they have provided me has not resolved the quality issue bit it's good to see a new feature added for testing.
HI have same problin with this cam did you get it sorted out with new FIRM WARE may camera comes and goes with the image ,let me know thankyou

ABCcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This issue appears to be a general problem.

I have a DS-2CD2686G2-IZS - 8MP varifocal - which has horrible picture stability especially at night with colour (day) setting or IR.
Any movement causes blurring and even image freezing.

Firmware V5.7.10 build 220830
According to the HIK vision site this is the same firmware as for the cam noted original post in this thread - DS-2CD2386G2 ?

Is there any new or even older firmware that at least can give stable video quality.
I have tried the 5.5.131 firmware - does not allow it to load on DS-2CD2686G2-IZS

Currently this cam is as bad as the worst Chinese knock-off rubbish.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

ausmisc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This issue appears to be a general problem.

I have a DS-2CD2686G2-IZS - 8MP varifocal - which has horrible picture stability especially at night with colour (day) setting or IR.
Any movement causes blurring and even image freezing.

Firmware V5.7.10 build 220830
According to the HIK vision site this is the same firmware as for the cam noted original post in this thread - DS-2CD2386G2 ?

Is there any new or even older firmware that at least can give stable video quality.
I have tried the 5.5.131 firmware - does not allow it to load on DS-2CD2686G2-IZS

Currently this cam is as bad as the worst Chinese knock-off rubbish.

Any ideas?
Morning mate,

If you have a 8MP camera, don’t use less than 8192mbps. Also, extremely important is to make sure your event stream matches your main stream for bitrate. Often the event stream bitrate will not stick and you have to set it a few times manually.

ABCcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you have a 8MP camera, don’t use less than 8192mbps. Also, extremely important is to make sure your event stream matches your main stream for bitrate. Often the event stream bitrate will not stick and you have to set it a few times manually.
Good day

Have tried all options from 8192 to 16384 / variable / constant. Tried different I Frame Intervals.
None of these settings make any difference.
Get exactly the same when viewing rtsp stream directly with VLC, so it's not an OBS issue (apart from the fact that other cams running at the same time on OBS have no issues)

Network to cam is fiber so there is no issue with bandwidth

I have been using HIkvision 5MP & 4MP cams for a few years and have never experienced such bad quality.

ausmisc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good day

Have tried all options from 8192 to 16384 / variable / constant. Tried different I Frame Intervals.
None of these settings make any difference.
Get exactly the same when viewing rtsp stream directly with VLC, so it's not an OBS issue (apart from the fact that other cams running at the same time on OBS have no issues)

Network to cam is fiber so there is no issue with bandwidth

I have been using HIkvision 5MP & 4MP cams for a few years and have never experienced such bad quality.
Just want to confirm the Event Stream bitrate is set correctly. On the camera the Event stream may not be visible, but if using an NVR you should have the below option. Make sure the "Main Stream (Normal) and Main Stream (Event)" is set the same. Refresh page and double check the bitrate stuck, often it doesn't.

1667857574799.png

ABCcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
not using an NVR.
Use RTSP
example: rtsp:/[USER] : [PWD]@192.168.1.30:554/Streaming/Channels/101
101 is the main stream

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also got this camera DS-2CD2386G2.IU.
My latest firmware is V5.5.160 build 210416
Unfortunatly I can not find the G2 firmware in the portal.
With google I found this page with the latest firmware: DS-2CD2386G2-I(U)
But when I try to update the firmware, it failes. I also tried the Hikvision Bath config tool, but that also failed to update the firmware.
Is anyone succesfull in updating to the latest firmware? Because I think there are some problems that need to be solved.
Thank you in advance.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
With google I found this page with the latest firmware: DS-2CD2386G2-I(U)
But when I try to update the firmware, it failes.
That page refers to the (C) version of the camera - probably different internal hardware to yours.

In your camera web GUI, under System Settings | Basic Information what does it show at the bottom for "Firmware Version Property" ?
The should help locate firmware for the camera.
Possibly this :

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That page refers to the (C) version of the camera - probably different internal hardware to yours.

In your camera web GUI, under System Settings | Basic Information what does it show at the bottom for "Firmware Version Property" ?
The should help locate firmware for the camera.
Possibly this :
Should I use this firmware, 5.5.801 build211105 ?
Then I see two files:

��
-2022-03-10
IPC_G3_EN_NEU_5.5.801_211105.zip74.80MB2022-03-10
IPC_G3_EN_STD_5.5.801_211105.zip74.81MB2022-03-10
Which one? :)

Attachments

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so you need some specific G3 firmware.
The 2 choices are for the range of languages supported.
NEU = Northern Europe
STD = Standard

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm from the Netherlands, is that Northen Europe?
I don't know for sure, but it looks like not.
Here are the languages listed in the STD version, includes NL :
Code:
{"Languages":[{"name":"繁體中文","value":"zh_TW"},{"name":"English","value":"en","isDefault":true},{"name":"Български","value":"bg"},{"name":"Magyar","value":"hu"},{"name":"Ελληνικά","value":"el"},{"name":"Deutsch","value":"de"},{"name":"Italiano","value":"it"},{"name":"Český","value":"cs"},{"name":"Slovensko","value":"sk"},{"name":"Français","value":"fr"},{"name":"Polski","value":"pl"},{"name":"Nederlands","value":"nl"},{"name":"Português","value":"pt"},{"name":"Español","value":"es"},{"name":"Русский","value":"ru"},{"name":"日本語","value":"ja"},{"name":"Türkçe","value":"tr"},{"name":"한국어","value":"ko"},{"name":"ภาษาไทย","value":"th"},{"name":"Eesti","value":"et"},{"name":"Tiếng Việt","value":"vi"},{"name":"Român","value":"ro"},{"name":"Dansk","value":"da"},{"name":"Svenska","value":"sv"},{"name":"Norsk","value":"no"},{"name":"Suomi","value":"fi"},{"name":"Hrvatski","value":"hr"},{"name":"Slovenščina","value":"sl"},{"name":"Srpski","value":"sr"},{"name":"Latvijas","value":"lv"},{"name":"lietuviešu","value":"lt"},{"name":"Português(Brasil)","value":"pt-br"},{"name":"Українська","value":"uk"}]}

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but it looks like not.
Here are the languages listed in the STD version, includes NL :
Code:
{"Languages":[{"name":"繁體中文","value":"zh_TW"},{"name":"English","value":"en","isDefault":true},{"name":"Български","value":"bg"},{"name":"Magyar","value":"hu"},{"name":"Ελληνικά","value":"el"},{"name":"Deutsch","value":"de"},{"name":"Italiano","value":"it"},{"name":"Český","value":"cs"},{"name":"Slovensko","value":"sk"},{"name":"Français","value":"fr"},{"name":"Polski","value":"pl"},{"name":"Nederlands","value":"nl"},{"name":"Português","value":"pt"},{"name":"Español","value":"es"},{"name":"Русский","value":"ru"},{"name":"日本語","value":"ja"},{"name":"Türkçe","value":"tr"},{"name":"한국어","value":"ko"},{"name":"ภาษาไทย","value":"th"},{"name":"Eesti","value":"et"},{"name":"Tiếng Việt","value":"vi"},{"name":"Român","value":"ro"},{"name":"Dansk","value":"da"},{"name":"Svenska","value":"sv"},{"name":"Norsk","value":"no"},{"name":"Suomi","value":"fi"},{"name":"Hrvatski","value":"hr"},{"name":"Slovenščina","value":"sl"},{"name":"Srpski","value":"sr"},{"name":"Latvijas","value":"lv"},{"name":"lietuviešu","value":"lt"},{"name":"Português(Brasil)","value":"pt-br"},{"name":"Українська","value":"uk"}]}
Thank you!
It's updating at the moment, so updating works! I was also confused because the map started wit G3, while it is G2

Maybe you also know this:
  • The modelnumber is not longer mentioned in the Surveillance station app and it is now pointed on "Generic Hikvision"
  • Also, the videofiles produced bij Surveillance station, are not able to be imported in Adobe Premiere.