DS-2CD2387-LU Colorvu troubleshooting

BlueBear

n3wb
Reaction score
I have just installed 4x DS-2CD2387-LU(C) cameras on a DS-7616NI-12/16P NVR with 2x 8TB hardrives.

I set everything to the highest quality settings, 3840*2160 8MP, max bitrate at 16384 variable, 25fps, H.265, medium quality etc.

When trying to live view on Hikconnect the cameras either show a bright green box over the image or would not load and I could not view any playback (please see attached).

I dropped the settings to H.264 and changed the max bitrate to 3072, I can now view live on Hikconnect and playback, however the video quality is very poor.

As soon as I raise the bitrate to 4096 I can't load live view in Hikconnect or playback.

What am I doing wrong? I bought a 16 Channel NVR with 160mbps bandwidth so it could handle high quality video.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are finding that not all NVRs are created alike - and just because they say they are 16 channels - that is with a lot of caveats.

You dropping the bitrate and then it works (albeit fuzzy) is proving that the NVR isn't capable to accept what you are pushing in.

Try dropping FPS down to 15 - that is all that is needed for surveillance.

These types of cameras are not GoPro or Hollywood type cameras that offer slow-mo capabilities and other features. They "offer" higher FPS to appease the general public that thinks that is what they need, but you will not find many of us here running more than 15 FPS; and movies are shot at 24 FPS, so anything above that is a waste of storage space for what these cameras are used for. If 24 FPS works for the big screen, I think 15 FPS is more than enough for phones and tablets LOL.

BlueBear

n3wb
Reaction score
I've put all 4 cameras to 8fps on main and substream and tried to increase the bitrate but its doing the same as before, not loading live view on Hikconnect or playing footage back

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've put all 4 cameras to 8fps on main and substream and tried to increase the bitrate but its doing the same as before, not loading live view on Hikconnect or playing footage back
Hikconnect on a smartphone via WiFi or over the mobile data network?
That may be the limiting factor, not the NVR or camera.

Do you have an HDMI/VGA monitor or TV attached to the NVR?
Or access to the NVR web GUI via a browser on a PC?
How does the video look using that route?

BlueBear

n3wb
Reaction score
Both on WiFi and data on an Android phone.

I've got a monitor attached to the NVR and the footage does look better.

What can I do to improve this?

BlueBear

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes the quality is normal.

I've just installed these cameras so not 100% sure what normal looks like, I had 8mp IP cameras before and the quality was much better, on my phone and the monitor.

I think it's something to do with the bitrate.

How do I install iVMS4500?

BlueBear

n3wb
Reaction score
It looks like this could be linked to the most recent firmware update on the 7616NI NVR V.4.60.000 as other users have complained about the same issues

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We have almost the same system - downgrade firmware. I'm on the one just below that with 7 of the same cameras and the same NVR. I'm on highest quality, 15 fps, 8000 max bitrate, and 265+ and have never had any issue either through the local wifi or when away from home on cellular.

CQR-View

n3wb
Reaction score
I have just installed 4x DS-2CD2387-LU(C) cameras on a DS-7616NI-12/16P NVR with 2x 8TB hardrives.

I set everything to the highest quality settings, 3840*2160 8MP, max bitrate at 16384 variable, 25fps, H.265, medium quality etc.

When trying to live view on Hikconnect the cameras either show a bright green box over the image or would not load and I could not view any playback (please see attached).

I dropped the settings to H.264 and changed the max bitrate to 3072, I can now view live on Hikconnect and playback, however the video quality is very poor.

As soon as I raise the bitrate to 4096 I can't load live view in Hikconnect or playback.

What am I doing wrong? I bought a 16 Channel NVR with 160mbps bandwidth so it could handle high quality video.
[/QUOTE

See attached pic
Try the setting changes listed, make sure both Main View Continuous & Event are the same
SUBSTREAM settings change Resolution to 640x480(VGA), QUALITY to Highest, Max. Bitrate to 1024, Video Encoding to H.265

I suggest Disable Stream Encryption
Navigate to Settings > Network > Advanced > Platform Access uncheck Enable Stream Encryption then click apply
Also Navigate to Maintenance > System Service > Stream Encryption ......... make sure it not enabled, click apply

these ate the setting I usually use ......
other things to check: make sure the network cable in the NVR LAN Port is secure, maybe disconnect/reconnect
if you can provide a complete Gigabit Connection from NVR to Gateway can help

Lastly ..................... Reboot the NVR, Cameras if not Connected via NVR PoE Ports, Gateway/Router
close hik-connect app in your phone & Reboot your phone
give it 10 mins to fire up and recheck your App images.

as for recordings, make sure you have footage recorded at NVR, and make sure you are searching for Remote Playpack Recordings in the App & not phone stored recordings

goodluck

Attachments