DS-2CD2432F-IW 2.8mm - Quality Expectations

mwatz

n3wb
Reaction score
Been reading on the forum for a bit (help me out a lot, as a lot of questions were already answered), and I just received my indoor camera (while waiting for the outdoor 4mp version...whenever that comes). Is the quality from this indoor shot within expectations. The picture seems fuzzy to me, the clock on the back wall is fuzzy (~18ft away from the camera). Not sure if the lens is a little out of focus (I read the post on how to remove/cut the glue so I can adjust the lens...I haven't open the camera). Or since this is a 2.8mm lens things will get fuzzy further out from the cam and this is within expectations. I did noticed natural light produces a better image compared to using 5000K (light color temperature) indoor daylight LED lights i am using at nighttime.

I am using wireless, but connected via ethernet (disabled wifi) and I couldn't tell the difference between picture quality. So I don't think the network is affecting the image.

2048*1536@20fps@60Hz
Exposure Time 1/30
Gain 100

Here are the settings (1st one from ONVIF Device Manager)...can't figure out how to get all the settings in easy location where i can print screen from...

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need more light...also try disabling wdr...it may also help to try and refocus it... but first try it with adequate light...never tested with 5000k lighting...

mwatz

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick update, I disabled wdr (but I couldn't tell the difference in 'fuzziness'). But having more natural light helps (in this photo only wdr is disabled). Looks slightly sharper, so I don't think its the lens focus. Hope this info helps anyone out.

Attachments

mwatz

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so the camera sensor isn't the same as the lower resolution cameras in terms light sensitivity. 3MP has more pixel's than lower res one, but it needs more light to have the 'same' quality of image in terms of fuzziness.
If that makes sense.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so the camera sensor isn't the same as the lower resolution cameras in terms light sensitivity. 3MP has more pixel's than lower res one, but it needs more light to have the 'same' quality of image in terms of fuzziness.
If that makes sense.
Basically..here is an article explaining it. The new hikvisions 4mp have improved and are better than the 3mp. This is a general rule and there are 5mp that are better than 1.3mp cameras at night, though those cost over 1k.
http://www.cnet.com/news/htc-explains-why-4-megapixels-are-better-than-8/

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also you have a high level of light in one part of the camera's view, the camera tries to correct this with BLC, it will play a large part in whole image while the sun is shining in that window.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm glad you posted this, as I'm also considering one. The second picture looks much better, and I actually think the quality and sharpness is fine. I also had to turn off WDR on one of my Hikvisions as it made the picture less sharp. Tell you what: write your settings down somewhere, and reset the camera back to defaults. You'll see that sometimes, after you tweak it too much, the picture quality can start degrading. Only mess with the settings you REALLY need and leave the rest alone. At least, that's what ended up working best for me.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You all are spoiled, lol. j/k
That image looks fantastic to me, I would be happy with that, haha.
But no, I understand. I am still stuck on analog "1200tvl" cameras. I noticed once I upgraded to HD television and movies, you can get used to 1080p and want higher quality. But I'd be happy with that image on my cameras forever. My cameras have evolved so much since my first CCTV camera in 1995, it's crazy looking back at old security footage compared to what I have now, even though it's still analog. (not for long) but it has changed so very much!