DS-2CD2432F-IW has grainy picture in the dark

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I really like these cubes. They work great as long as they have some light (even low light). When they cut over to IR they get pretty grainy as shown in the screenshot.

Are there any adjustments I can make to clear these up a bit? I've messed around with some of the settings but it hasn't seemed to help.

Thanks for your insight!

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can make some adjustments but you'll then get motion blur most likely. This is normal. The cube doesn't have the greatest IR so you need some light.

The biggest adjustment. Get some LED lighting in there.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Post your image settings, perhaps there is something that can be improved or you can add external IR source. I have 4 of these cubes and I get better results, although they are in smaller rooms.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have WDR on and at at 20
DNR on and at 100

All Image Adjustment settings at 50

I think I got that from an older NetworkCameraCritic post. Works well but not perfect. Good enough.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
DNR on and at 100

I think I got that from an older NetworkCameraCritic post. Works well but not perfect. Good enough.
set wdr to off or at least less than 10.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
set wdr to off or at least less than 10.
WDR is a scene specific setting and in reading the buellwinkle review of this particular camera i noticed that he had the same scene problems I did, windows with light coming in, shadows and lots of color. I tried various settings and this seemed to work but I'll try your recommendation and report results. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
WDR is a scene specific setting and in reading the buellwinkle review of this particular camera i noticed that he had the same scene problems I did, windows with light coming in, shadows and lots of color. I tried various settings and this seemed to work but I'll try your recommendation and report results. Thanks
You will need to set distinct settings for day and night. WDR causes this issue at night. The op may have his set to way more than 20.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will need to set distinct settings for day and night. WDR causes this issue at night.
You mean the OP's graininess issue? Yes you're right and I'll try it however mine isn't that bad.

dalepa

Reaction score
You can buy some IR lights $10-$20, or for $69, you can buy a Hik turret DS-2CD3345-I-4MP and use it's IR which works great in the dark (see image below).

With Porch Light on

PorchAlert.20160114_200823_1.jpg

With Porch Light Off
PorchAlert.20160114_221543.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mines not so bad with current settings.

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! Sorry I'm so late getting back! That thing we call "life" keeps getting in my way!

Anyway, I reset everything back to the defaults (didn't seem to make any difference) and here's what the settings look like.

This is actually an LTS CMIP8932-W which is an LTS branded Hik DS-2CD2432F-IW.

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DNR on and at 100

Wow! Just these adjustments from the default settings made a big difference!

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WDR = Off was worse than the previous adjustments (not much).

WDR = On at 8 = Better (attached)
Agree, using my settings was a big improvement. Drop WDR made it even better. Save the config.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
WDR = Off was worse than the previous adjustments (not much).

WDR = On at 8 = Better (attached)
Yup, that looks more like it. Also since it's in garage you can easy add another IR source which could bounce against walls/ceiling and will give you even better view.

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks to all your help a few months ago (especially fenderman), this is my current setup. I still have a ton of tweaking to do on it, but it's getting there. I have to say that the dome camera facing the street is absolutely the best money we spent. It has the "Smart Tracking" feature and we need to rename it "The Neighborhood Busybody". We just chuckle and chuckle when we see what it captures. That thing will follow a leaf down the street!

Thanks again for all your help! I'll probably be back in a few months with more wacky questions!

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Which smart tracking cam are you using? I'm looking for a decent option. Does yours have zoom? Can you recognize faces day and night?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which smart tracking cam are you using? I'm looking for a decent option. Does yours have zoom? Can you recognize faces day and night?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
We purchased the PTZIP762X20IR from LTS which I believe is the Hikvision DS-2DF7286-AEL. It's a full PTZ camera and we've been able to recognize faces day and night. The IR on it is phenomenal. License plate recognition during the day is excellent, but at night they're not distinguishable because of the brightness of the IR. The thing that amazes us is that once something comes into it's initial field of view, it not only tracks it, it continues to zoom in on the object (and tries to keep it centered) as it moves farther away.

If I can figure out how to extract video from Blue Iris and upload it here, I'll provide an example. Does anyone have pointers on how to do this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If I can figure out how to extract video from Blue Iris and upload it here, I'll provide an example. Does anyone have pointers on how to do this?
when viewing the video, adjust the green and red sliders to select your start and endpoint then either push the export button at the right of the timeline or right click on the video and chose export. You can upload to youtube.

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman! I'll give this a try... I ran these through some editing software to blur private information so I think I've degraded the video a bit. These are smooth in Blue Iris and not jittery like they came out here. First timer... but you can get an idea of how it works in automatic mode.

I know that I need to adjust some of the settings to get it to zoom better and track better. The trash bins to the left (for some reason) attract the attention of the camera and it stops on them most of the time. At night, the police car across the street seems to attract its attention.