DS-7604N - DDNS setup issues

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm trying to setup the DDNS on my DS-7604N-E1/4P for remote access through hik-online, and can't seem to input a valid entry in the Domain field. If I enter any string starting with a lower case, I get a "Invalid operation" error, if I lead off with a number, I get a "Wrong Domain" warning. My FW version is V3.0.8 build 140825

Specifically, under Configuration.Network Settings.DDNS, I have:
Enable DDNS: checked
DDNS Type: HiDDNS
Server Address: www.hik-online.com
Domain: <can't put a valid entry here>

I have previously done this procedure with a DS-7608NI-SE/8P in the past and had no issues entering an arbitrary alias for Domain.

What am I missing here? Should I try different FW? Thanks.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And just to be sure, you have the device registered with hik-online already - the part where you enter your device serial number?

If you have done that part, I would just double check that you have the Network Settings set up correctly with your router IP as the default gateway. One other thing to check is that you have your router setup correctly for port forwards to this device.

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I cannot add the device in hik-online, since the nvr does not accept the Domain string. Hik-online reports "The device does not exist." I'm fairly certain my setup is correct otherwise, since I can access the nvr remotely using the WAN IP.
Bottom line: I cannot set the Domain in the nvr. Possible Firmware issue?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ahh, I overlooked it the first time I glanced at your pic. You have the wrong server address entered.

Hik-Online address is 173.200.91.74. Put that in the field instead.

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tried using the IP address instead of hik-online, still seeing the same "invalid operation" error

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What happens when you try the IP address with domain blank?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I find you have to both parts of the setup at the same time, also you have to setup the NVR directly on the NVR not via its web interface.

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fixed!

Big thanks to @whoslooking

Problem was resolved by not using the web interface as suggested. Had to connect a mouse and a monitor via VGA (could not get HDMI to work) to the NVR. Went to the network menu, enabled DDNS and was able to save the settings!

Now I'm back to the web GUI and am able to change the Domain string and save at will. This sure smells like a Firmware bug :(

whoslooking - that suggestion was pure genius, you ran into this before?

I have 2 more questions:

1. With FW version is V3.0.8 build 140825, I no longer see the Network Settings.Advanced option in order to Enable Virtual Host. This was a very useful feature that allowed me to access the camera directly via <IP address>:<port>, i.e., http://192.168.1.220:65001 in my other NVR. Any way to work around this?

2. As mentioned, I could not get the NVR HDMI to monitor to work. After power up, I saw the initial splash screen, and a bunch of colored lines. Tried 2 different monitors.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, so many time trying to setup Hik ddns and failing then it all fell into place.
the virtual host, is on the newer fw releases, I just plug the PC into one of the POE ports when messing around, which is not that often on my home system.
As to the hdmi you may have adjust the resolution, as my screen only work with a vga with new nvr's until I set them up.

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was under the impression that "newer FW" should have Virtual Host support, certainly on my other NVR (DS-7608NI-SE/8P, US version) with Firmware_v2.3.10_141128 I had this option.

The DS-7604N-E1/4P in question was bought thru Aliexpress. It came with FW version is V3.0.8 build 140825. However, in the web GUI if I click on the Help button, on the upper right hand corner, it reports 3.0.4.140625.

Is this discrepancy due to some hacked FW that was loaded by the vendor? Need to study the threads in this forum to see whether it is worth the risk of updating the FW, since I really value the Virtual Host function...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It came with FW version is V3.0.8 build 140825. However, in the web GUI if I click on the Help button, on the upper right hand corner, it reports 3.0.4.140625.

Is this discrepancy due to some hacked FW that was loaded by the vendor? Need to study the threads in this forum to see whether it is worth the risk of updating the FW, since I really value the Virtual Host function...
You may be seeing the 'web version' of 3.0.4
Check out the 'Device Information' page in the web GUI - location varies with firmware.
Example:

I've been through all the firmware that's been published for 76xxN and 78xxN and have still not seen one that gives 'Virtual Host' for my 7816N-E2 NVR. I'm speculating it may be linked to something in the hardware descriptor.
There are several ways to access PoE-connected cameras, here is what I did a while back that works OK for me:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1604-Hikvision-POE-LAN-segment-access-to-cameras-without-virtual-host-or-extra-wiring?highlight=extra+wiring

Attachments

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, alastairstevenson, you've saved me countless hours of experimentation in search of the elusive "Virtual Host" option. My first NVR is a US-version, I suppose this is another trade-off for one purchased in Aliexpress, lesson learned:( This is valuable tribal knowledge. Hopefully one day there will be a sticky listing these tidbits.

I notice that you have FW 3.3.4, which has a different GUI that actually lists the "web version". My version does not list it, which further added to my confusion. I'm still motivated to update the FW, but most of the threads don't reference the DS-7604N-E1/4P but rather the DS-76xxNI.

This is the closest info I've found:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1575-Hikvision-NVR-DS-7104N-SN-firmware/page2?highlight=nvr+firmware

I would appreciate a push in the right direction...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you do decide to experiment with an upgrade - which is probably a temptation generally best avoided - here is a copy of something I posted a while back.
Though your 7604 may have a different flash layout than the 78XXN-E2. Check it out with 'cat /proc/mtd'
What I strongly suggest if you think about upgrading is to back up your existing firmware so you have a way back should you wish.
All you need is a copy of mtdblock2 in the as-delivered state. But copy mtdblock0 and 1 also.
The easiest way is if you can add a NAS destination via the GUI. It does not need to be formatted.
Something like this for an NFS mount.
Use 'mount' to find the mount point, then something like:
cd /mnt/tnfs01
umount /dev/mtdblock2
cat /dev/mtdblock2 > mtdblock2_orig
mount /dev/mtdblock2 /home/hik

You could also use TFTP, something like
TFTP -p -l mtdblock2_orig <IP address of TFTP server>

And the same for mtdblock0 & 1, though these don't need unmounted.
Then you can either at a later date 'cat' the mtdblock2_orig' back where it came from, or you can create new firmware using @wzhick really useful tool Hiktools to get a digicap.dav that the web GUI and TFTP recovery is happy with.
Also - make a backup copy of the NVR configuration, and the camera settings, via the maintenance menu, with the filename including the associated firmware version. You can't restore configurations across firmware versions.
That way - you can put the whole thing back exactly how it was before the firmware update if you ever need to do so.