DS-7604NI-E1 vs DS-7604NI-E1/4P

fevis

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello

As title says. What is the difference between these 2 models?
Links:
DS-7604NI-E1 and DS-7604NI-E1/4P

Only difference i can tell is the price. First one about 60 usd cheaper.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, not knowing what you will be wanting to cover with the cameras it's not really possible to say for sure ... but:
The 2332 has better IR and is a lot less susceptible to false motion alerts due to things like spider webs than the 2032, as I'm sure you've seen often mentioned on this forum.
On the NVR - I'd work on the basis that you will want to add more cameras sometime going forward, and future-proof it a bit with some spare channels.
And you need to understand the lens focal length choice and the resulting field of view - but again, lots of that on this very useful forum.

fevis

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for taking your time to help me out.

Cameras will be covering
- driveway/front entrance
- back house/entry
- porch/entry
- backgarden/entry

Upgrade of the NVR you are right. I think it is good option to upgrade to this DS-7608N-E2/8P for only 50 usd more.
As for the cameras i am not sure. I read in many threads that the new 4MP (DS-2CD2342WD-I) has alot better nightvision compared to the 3MP DS-2CD2332-I.
Is it worth the extra money to get the 4MP? If yes you know about a trusted supplier that sells these at good price?

Thanks

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I find the 2mp camera's have the best night vision level over all,
Without the barreling.

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was in the same situation as you about 2 years ago upgrading my analog to HD, I got an 8ch Hik NVR with 4 cams, this quickly grew to 8 cams and the problem was I ran out of bandwidth and had to dial down the quality of the cams to meet the bandwidth requirements of the NVR.

I fixed this problem by upgrading to a 16ch NVR giving me twice the bandwidth; I can now run all my cams at full quality without any problems.

I also opted for a non-POE NVR using an external POE switch, this will give you easier access straight to the cams over the network, the NVR will cost less and gives you flexibility for installation. You can mount the switch closer to your cams, I have mine mounted in my crawl space and only run one wire into the house instead of running all 8 from the cams into the house and NVR.

You should be able to get a 16ch non-POE + an external switch for about the same price as the 8ch/8POE that you posted. If your sure 4~6 cams is all you need then the 8ch should do fine but you should leave room for expanding.

Just some other options to consider.

fevis

n3wb
Reaction score
Thats a great idea keeping all the cables hidden away and only 1 cable to the NVR inside the house!
You have any links to a external switch + non PoE NVR to a good price?

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score