DS-7608NI - One channel will not pick up ONVIF camera/stream

Reaction score
I'm installing a Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/P8, firmware V3.4.95 (english) with 4 POE Foscam bullet cameras. I had everything working perfectly for 2-3 weeks but then, all of a sudden, Channel 2 stream disappeared. In the Configuration, that camera shows as "Offline (Network Abnormal)" and nothing I do "revives" the channel. The camera works perfectly - I can reach the Foscam webGUI by plugging a laptop into one of the free POE ports. Nothing appears to be wrong at the camera and cabling end and I'm totally puzzled. Can anyone offer some help?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm installing a Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/P8, firmware V3.4.95 (english) with 4 POE Foscam bullet cameras. I had everything working perfectly for 2-3 weeks but then, all of a sudden, Channel 2 stream disappeared. In the Configuration, that camera shows as "Offline (Network Abnormal)" and nothing I do "revives" the channel. The camera works perfectly - I can reach the Foscam webGUI by plugging a laptop into one of the free POE ports. Nothing appears to be wrong at the camera and cabling end and I'm totally puzzled. Can anyone offer some help?
Hi Klaus,

you've probably done some of this already.. do let us know what you have tested.

Did you restart the NVR?
Check the logs on the NVR?
Check the logs on the Camera?
Double check the settings?
Did the NVR update the firmware?

Reaction score
Hi Klaus,

you've probably done some of this already.. do let us know what you have tested.

Did you restart the NVR?
Check the logs on the NVR?
Check the logs on the Camera?
Double check the settings?
Did the NVR update the firmware?
YES to questions 1, 2 and 4. The log showed no unusual entries from July 1 to July 31 except for "IP Camera Disconnect" - D2 on July 17 at 07:36:01. Then I swapped camera cables around amongst the channels and the others showed "Disconnect" and then "Start Record" as they came back up - all except channel 2 (D2). D2 showed "IP Camera Disconnect" again at 7:36:55.
I double checked all settings - as I said, all cameras and ONVIF streams were working perfectly for many days. Connecting my laptop to the POE segment and giving the camera's IP:port allowed full operability of the camera.
Regarding question 5, I'll check the camera's logs when I'm back on site tomorrow morning - I need to be directly connected to the POE segment. I'm also going to switch one of the working cameras to channel 2 to see if the problem moves around. - I did that but I can't remember the results.
Question 6: I did not update it and, I don't think, it would do so on its own. Unfortunately, I did not record the firmware version when I first opened the box.

Reaction score
In the NVR web GUI, does the IP address and port assigned to the channel the camera is connected to match the IP address and port of the camera when you access it directly with the laptop?
YES it does. I made sure when I first installed the system. The actual camera IPs and ports match what shows on the camera management page of the NVR. IPs 192.168.254.11 - .14 and ports 65001 - 65004.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It wasn't the NAT ports I was thinking of, but the management port that is set in the channel configuration.

Reaction score
I got the cameras working today, but I am still totally puzzled as to the initial cause - all I can think of is a software glitch in the NVR.
1. My "bad" channel was channel 2 (POE port 2) - channels 1, 3 & 4 were OK.
2. I rebooted the NVR again - no difference.
3. I cycled the AC power to the NVR - no difference.
4. I unplugged the cameras from both channels 1 and 2.
5. I plugged the channel 1 camera into POE port 2 & entered the correct camera IP & ports into NVR Camera Management - camera worked OK on channel 2.
6. I plugged the channel 2 camera back into POE port 2, set correct IP/ports - still did not work.
7. I plugged the channel 2 camera into POE port 1, set the correct IP/ports - camera worked.
8. I returned both cameras to their original POE ports and set the original parameters into Camera Management - everything now worked fine!
9. I never had an incorrect parameter entered anywhere - NVR nor cameras. Maybe setting/resetting the parameters in Camera Management "shook up" the NVR!!??
Throughout all this, the camera GUIs and video streams were always available via the laptop connected to a free POE port.
I hate not finding the cause for a problem. Oh well.