DS-7608NI-SE/8P Working With OSX El Capitan - Is It Possible?

Sprocket

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm a total newbie at this, so apologies if some of my questions are mind numbingly simplistic....

We have a new iMac retina running OSX El Capitan and a Synology 1515+ hooked up via a gigabit modem/router all on Cat 5e cables.

We are in the process of having a system fitted comprising 5 DS-2CD2042WD-I cameras and a DS-7608NI-SE/8P NVR. We chose the NVR rather than going with the Surveillance Station application that comes with the Synology NAS in the hope that the supplier can support the whole system and also that the reviews of the latest SS software are not encouraging.

The bottom line is that after messing about for a couple of days, the supplier's people, even with the help of HikVision's remote support, can't get pictures to show up on the computer. The plug-ins are installed and active on 2 of the 3 browsers we've been trying but still no pictures and the boss of the company now says that OSX newer than 10.10 is simply not supported. We're reluctant to revert to a previous version for fear of screwing some other aspect of the system up and asked him to find an NVR that would work with our Mac but he says they are not available - this is Thailand and it's not clear to me if he means he just can't get hold of one or that they just don't exist.

Firstly, does anyone have experience making the hardware and software we have work properly (and reliably)?

If not, one solution would be to get a (preferably inexpensive and physically small) Windows machine and add that to the network, in which case what is the minimum spec we should aim for? If we went that route, would the camera output be viewable on one of the iMac monitors as we have two and very little desk space for anything else.

Another would be to try out the Synology using the two camera licesnses that come with the NAS. We'd have to buy a PoE switch I know, but the main question is whether Surveillance Station is as flaky as people claim - my friend who is the main user has zero patience when it comes to software that doesn't work properly!

Lastly, any alternative solutions you can suggest which are practical for non-technical users would be gratefully received!

Many thanks in advance.

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
getting my DS-7716NI-I4/16P tomorrow so i'll let you know how i get on (as i only run Mac's), but have you tried the HikVision iVMS software ?

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Software/01 Video Management Software/00 iVMS4200/Hikvision iVMS-4200 v1.2.0 (MAC X 10.9)/
http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/Tools_84.html

is this the plugin you tried ? MAC Web Component For IP Cameras v3.0.5.26

Another would be to try out the Synology using the two camera licesnses that come with the NAS. We'd have to buy a PoE switch I know, but the main question is whether Surveillance Station is as flaky as people claim - my friend who is the main user has zero patience when it comes to software that doesn't work properly!
yes SS on Synology is totally useless on OSX, it uses 100% cpu for live viewing, and in Timeshift RW/FF simply just does not work.

Lastly, any alternative solutions you can suggest which are practical for non-technical users would be gratefully received!

as a last resort you could try to install Windows in a VM on OSX

Last edited by a moderator:

Sprocket

n3wb
Reaction score
We were using the iVMS4200 for Mac. I'm not sure about the name of the Plug-In but it was from HikVision - I'll check the file name this morning. Unfortunately, the Readme files with the Web Component Plug-In you linked to says it is not compatible with DS-76xxNI-SE

Considered using Parallels but thought it might slow the computer down too much. I'll give that a try today too.

Last edited by a moderator:

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just got my DS-7716NI/16P both website and the NVR app seem work ok, not had much chance to play around yet.

Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 18.34.35.png

Sprocket

n3wb
Reaction score
Found an old MacBook running OSX 10.7 but still couldn't get iVMS running, even connecting directly to the NVR to eliminate the possibility that it was the network that has been screwing things up. Had to use a temporary windows machine with Win 7 x64 installed to verify that the cameras were actually working (which they were, but at unexpectedly low resolution which is the next issue to look into).

I'm thinking that the only way forward is to look for a small windows PC but wondering how much processing power and memory is required for it to be useful for monitoring and playback from the NVR. Any guidance on that?

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
going by my mac i7 quad core 2.7Ghz, cpu just not get above 5% for live playback, however i have yet to get recordings to play in web browser, but iVMS does seem to work ok 3 cams simultaneous playback is about 20%.