DS-HD1 Problems

Reaction score
I recently got a DS-HD1 problems to test out Hikvision with the goal of getting 5-6 cameras and an NVR for a complete package but I'm already running into issues.

The first issue is that the doorbell camera picks up cars driving by. The street is probably 80 feet from the doorbell camera. It doesn't matter if I set the sensitivity all the way down and scale the motion detection area way back. About the only way I can make it where it doesn't pick up the cars driving along the street is where it also basically won't pick up anyone on our porch. Any tips to help with this? It would be nice to just get a notification when someone is on the porch instead of 150 notifications a day when someone drives by.

The second issue is that anytime I view a playback recording of someone driving by there is a loud crash sound right when the car comes into view. It doesn't happen with recordings of people. I deleted the device from my phone, reset the camera, and re-added the device back and it didn't change anything. It doesn't matter if it's a car or FedEx truck, the sound is almost always exactly the same. I do plan on talking with Hikvision tomorrow but I've read their customer service for DIYers is anywhere from minimal to non-existent. Thanks for any tips you all can provide!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Reaction score
That's certainly a well put together user guide but I didn't see where it addressed the issues I was having. If I overlooked it, I apologize but are you able to point out the solutions?

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you using the Guarding Vision app and using the wedge to aim the doorbell down, and changing the PIR motion sensitivity from the app?

Reaction score
Are you using the Guarding Vision app and using the wedge to aim the doorbell down, and changing the PIR motion sensitivity from the app?
I’m using the Hik-Connect app since I just have the doorbell camera for now. Would you recommend the Guarding Vision app over Hik-Connect?

I have the wedge to help aim it further right to pick up most of the porch. I had thought about putting the wedge to aim it down but thought it wouldn’t be very good at picking up faces, especially once somebody is at the door.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's certainly a well put together user guide but I didn't see where it addressed the issues I was having. If I overlooked it, I apologize but are you able to point out the solutions?
One thing that is nice about this DB is you can adjust many things. Most all of us use Batch Config Tool from Hikvision. This will help in getting the right video capture. As far as Apps, you could also try EZVIZ App, it has some nice new features...
A mistake many Smart DB owners make is trying to use this Cam to pickup movement beyond the porch/door area. In other words, this Cam is meant to capture video when someone is at/on your porch/door and not from the driveway. You will get video of someone walking up to your porch but the PIR should be set to detect them right before the enter the porch area.
I have my PIR set at the lowest level, the DB will record 5 seconds before so I get video of them coming up our driveway, but that video is also captured from another camera that covers that area. Finding the right angle for your DB install is the key to minimizing your issues.

As you can see I have the whole porch covered. When we get packages I can see them with no problem, this is another great thing about this DB that other DBs do not have the wide vertical angle. I could even point it down more since I don't need to see the ceiling of the porch.

1636977491512.png

As far as Audio, like most Cams the audio is not the best, you can adjust volume in Batch Tool but once you get your PIR issue fixed you most likely won't have to.
1636978027400.png

HTH

Reaction score
One thing that is nice about this DB is you can adjust many things. Most all of us use Batch Config Tool from Hikvision. This will help in getting the right video capture. As far as Apps, you could also try EZVIZ App, it has some nice new features...
A mistake many Smart DB owners make is trying to use this Cam to pickup movement beyond the porch/door area. In other words, this Cam is meant to capture video when someone is at/on your porch/door and not from the driveway. You will get video of someone walking up to your porch but the PIR should be set to detect them right before the enter the porch area.
I have my PIR set at the lowest level, the DB will record 5 seconds before so I get video of them coming up our driveway, but that video is also captured from another camera that covers that area. Finding the right angle for your DB install is the key to minimizing your issues.

As you can see I have the whole porch covered. When we get packages I can see them with no problem, this is another great thing about this DB that other DBs do not have the wide vertical angle. I could even point it down more since I don't need to see the ceiling of the porch.

As far as Audio, like most Cams the audio is not the best, you can adjust volume in Batch Tool but once you get your PIR issue fixed you most likely won't have to.

HTH
I was able to download the Batch Config Tool and get everything adjusted and seems to be doing pretty close to exactly what I need it to do. I agree that I only need the doorbell camera to cover the porch as the other cameras will end up covering everything else. I don't consider myself the most technologically savvy person in the world and I'm new to security camera systems (esp. Hikvision) so thank you for the handholding. You've been awesome!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was able to download the Batch Config Tool and get everything adjusted and seems to be doing pretty close to exactly what I need it to do. I agree that I only need the doorbell camera to cover the porch as the other cameras will end up covering everything else. I don't consider myself the most technologically savvy person in the world and I'm new to security camera systems (esp. Hikvision) so thank you for the handholding. You've been awesome!
Do you have your NVR yet? Your Hik DB supports ONVIF which will connect to most any brand NVR with ONVIF support so you are good there. I can't advise you on which NVR is best but you are on the right Forum to get that answer. My NVR is a PC Box running Blue Iris...

Here is a tip if you use VLC:
⦁ RTSP Streaming for VLC (VideoLAN Media Player) Under Media/Open Network Stream (Ctrl+N)...Enter your RTSP Link/Info for Live Video Stream

You may want to check out Cliff Notes, it is long but full of good info...

Reaction score
Do you have your NVR yet? Your Hik DB supports ONVIF which will connect to most any brand NVR with ONVIF support so you are good there. I can't advise you on which NVR is best but you are on the right Forum to get that answer. My NVR is a PC Box running Blue Iris...

Here is a tip if you use VLC:
⦁ RTSP Streaming for VLC (VideoLAN Media Player) Under Media/Open Network Stream (Ctrl+N)...Enter your RTSP Link/Info for Live Video Stream

You may want to check out Cliff Notes, it is long but full of good info...
I haven’t bought anything else yet. I just got the doorbell camera to see if it’s what I was needing for a doorbell cam (local storage capability, no subscription fees, etc.). I’m leaning more towards the Hikvision ColorVu cameras as there’s some ambient light and I value night surveillance a little more than daytime. The NVR is yet to be determined but I’m looking more for user friendliness regardless of price.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
oh wait... you have not purchased the NVR yet? I ran LaView for about 5-6 years and had friends with Blue Iris at work. It seemed like a big deal to get a PC, buy BI and install it. I liked that a Hardware NVR could just be plugged in. I sort of thought that meant "user friendliness". But was I wrong, also, that approach was such a short sighted approach.

First, once it was all setup and ready (surprisingly not as easy as I was hoping by the way) we set it up so that my wife and I would get alerts. Well guess what, we got so many alerts that we were both frustrated. With so many hardware NVR's you simply can not tune them well enough to suppress false alerts very well. Within months my wife opted out of the alerts. I found myself manually reviewing footage since the alerts were meaningless.

As of about 9 months ago I switched to BI, which had just recently integrated AI. Such a difference in reliability and functionality. Just as easy to run BI as it was to run LaView. And the options are many fold greater. Now it is a tradeoff when we order out if I get an alert on my phone or if they make it to the doorbell. Meaning the camera on the front porch is so fast at detecting a person on the front porch I often get an email/text before they press the doorbell. Many times they don't even press the doorbell, but no matter as I know right away. Also no more false alerts due to a bunny/breeze/shadow/etc. Our faith for having actionable alerts has been restored. I went from 7 to 12 cameras since changing to BI because they actually provide meaningful information for us now.

I guess most important item to consider is having AI somewhere in your equipment chain. Some say the AI in recent cameras work well. Having AI somewhere is pretty key for any modern security camera system. For me it is in BI and BI allows me to configure things that my hardware NVR never even dreamed of.

Reaction score
oh wait... you have not purchased the NVR yet? I ran LaView for about 5-6 years and had friends with Blue Iris at work. It seemed like a big deal to get a PC, buy BI and install it. I liked that a Hardware NVR could just be plugged in. I sort of thought that meant "user friendliness". But was I wrong, also, that approach was such a short sighted approach.

First, once it was all setup and ready (surprisingly not as easy as I was hoping by the way) we set it up so that my wife and I would get alerts. Well guess what, we got so many alerts that we were both frustrated. With so many hardware NVR's you simply can not tune them well enough to suppress false alerts very well. Within months my wife opted out of the alerts. I found myself manually reviewing footage since the alerts were meaningless.

As of about 9 months ago I switched to BI, which had just recently integrated AI. Such a difference in reliability and functionality. Just as easy to run BI as it was to run LaView. And the options are many fold greater. Now it is a tradeoff when we order out if I get an alert on my phone or if they make it to the doorbell. Meaning the camera on the front porch is so fast at detecting a person on the front porch I often get an email/text before they press the doorbell. Many times they don't even press the doorbell, but no matter as I know right away. Also no more false alerts due to a bunny/breeze/shadow/etc. Our faith for having actionable alerts has been restored. I went from 7 to 12 cameras since changing to BI because they actually provide meaningful information for us now.

I guess most important item to consider is having AI somewhere in your equipment chain. Some say the AI in recent cameras work well. Having AI somewhere is pretty key for any modern security camera system. For me it is in BI and BI allows me to configure things that my hardware NVR never even dreamed of.
It sounds like Blue Iris would be a nice, user friendly solution. I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about computers and adding HDDs but any recommendation for a plug and play computer with about 4TB that would just allow me to install Blue Iris and get everything set up from there?

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I read the help files on this forum that review very thoroughly the hardware requirements for a PC. Then I went to my local small computer store (not Best Buy or any big box store) and custom ordered a computer. What I ordered was a I7-10700 16GB RAM and with the 12 cameras I now have it hovers around 4 percent. But I without question over bought as I know I will be going to a total of 15 cameras and I did not want to deal with any lag whatsoever. So for me it was a good path to take. Please note that you can run BI with far less power (and may have the same experience as me)

I am sure you are familiar with those pages, but here is the link again to the hardware requirements: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It sounds like Blue Iris would be a nice, user friendly solution. I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about computers and adding HDDs but any recommendation for a plug and play computer with about 4TB that would just allow me to install Blue Iris and get everything set up from there?
Once you read the help files and know how powerful a computer you want, maybe check out 'Craigs list' as you indicate you are in the US. It is a good place to peruse used computers.