Dual NIC setup on your Blue Iris Machine

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah it seems somewhat complicated although I haven't looked in detail as really not in a position to give advice.

However, I can't see the point in over complicating things. It just leads to nightmares when things go wrong.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm rusty with Ip addressing,,,,I think if you use two IP adresses that are not routable, ( 2 different subnetmasks?) I think your not going to be exposing the cams to the Net via the other network.

ccssid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
his diagram went from typical home user to quadrauple WAP's and 5 switches LOL wtf.
A work in process. First I had to separate from att. Nothing but issues with my computer and att switch. Then I needed 10 Gbe to my servers. Of course, a couple of ap's. Now, my Nest (argh) doorbell took a crap...so let's add a camera...or 2...or 3. Then I decided I needed a couple of wi-fi cameras to move around the interior of my house as nec. Needed the Wi-Fi extended anyway so l can ( eventually) get rid of the Nest doorbell...and utilize Blue Iris. Hey...What can I say!!!

ccssid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A work in process. First I had to separate from att. Nothing but issues with my computer and att switch. Then I needed 10 Gbe to my servers. Of course, a couple of ap's. Now, my Nest (argh) doorbell took a crap...so let's add a camera...or 2...or 3. Then I decided I needed a couple of wi-fi cameras to move around the interior of my house as nec. Needed the Wi-Fi extended anyway so l can ( eventually) get rid of the Nest doorbell...and utilize Blue Iris. Hey...What can I say!!!
A little convoluted...but not complicated. Without the 10 Gbe intranet to my servers, set setup would be much simpler. Without the Wi-Fi camera's even more so

ccssid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've made a new diagram. Does this look correct now everybody and is this of any use to you CCSSID?

View attachment 117096
Yes. Basically same setup that I have. I simply added wifi for wifi camera's and 10Gbe nic for my servers. If I used vlans, setup would be more straight forward. But, I don't quite understand vlans.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help. I know I'm a networking idiot but hopefully one getting there. :wave:

BTW if my diagram is correct and my DHCP screenshot will help others, please feel free to add it into the wiki. I'm all for giving back to the IP cam community.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm rusty with Ip addressing,,,,I think if you use two IP adresses that are not routable, ( 2 different subnetmasks?) I think your not going to be exposing the cams to the Net via the other network.
You are correct. You would need to enable routing between the two interfaces and turn the PC into a router basically. Keep in mind that only the “public” NIC gets a default gateway in the IP settings. The private NIC (camera network) should not have a gateway configured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbiff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last edited:

zcondo

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a computer that has two Nics built into the motherboard. Will this work or would I need a separate separate PCIe NIC?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a computer that has two Nics built into the motherboard. Will this work or would I need a separate separate PCIe NIC?
That will work unless something crazy is going on that will not let you assign separate IP address range to them.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
How did you get that fancy Windows icon on the lower left corner?

Thats from purchasing Start 10, Been using Start 8 as well since they fucked up Windows 7 perfectly good start button with thier fucking " Metro" bullshit. gives a kind of windows 7 start control. and you can customize it a little bit.
Sorry I didn't see that question

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for a few weeks (more questions later I'm sure) and I set up (maybe successfully) a dual NIC machine using a USB ethernet adapter.
But I think a couple of more pictures may make things easier and I'm confused about one setting.

After I enter the TCP properties (192.168.55.10) in the example, I go to advance and enter: 192.168.1.50. Where does the 192.168.1.50 comes from, is that the IP address of the machine with the 2 NICs on it or is it an IP address I should never use?

And here's the picture that should be added after that showing the default gateway was set. Could this have been accomplished without adding the "advanced" box step by just filling in the default gateway box?

ater-advanced.jpg

And when I go back to the network settings page things look like this:

network-config.jpg

My second NIC is an "Unidentified Network". Is that correct and or should it be changed somehow>

Thank you!

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for a few weeks (more questions later I'm sure) and I set up (maybe successfully) a dual NIC machine using a USB ethernet adapter.
But I think a couple of more pictures may make things easier and I'm confused about one setting.

After I enter the TCP properties (192.168.55.10) in the example, I go to advance and enter: 192.168.1.50. Where does the 192.168.1.50 comes from, is that the IP address of the machine with the 2 NICs on it or is it an IP address I should never use?

And here's the picture that should be added after that showing the default gateway was set. Could this have been accomplished without adding the "advanced" box step by just filling in the default gateway box?

View attachment 125419

And when I go back to the network settings page things look like this:

View attachment 125420

My second NIC is an "Unidentified Network". Is that correct and or should it be changed somehow>

Thank you!
Leave the gateway blank. You won't need one on the private network that the 2nd NIC is on. The unidentified network is normal because this NIC will have limited connectivity.

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have the same question. Thanks for the great instructions. SO I added a second NIC card 192.168.55.X in the blue iris computer and added the camera. I can add the camera to blue iris ( it is an annke/HIKvision) though I usually use Dahia. I can ping the camera and get a reply. I can also see the camera on the SADP tool. But I cannot log on the cam interface via the web ( ). Anything I am missing?

In addition, for the HIK vision, which PTZ settings do I need to use for blue iris ( the blue iris dropdown)

Thanks again very much for the great dual nic instructions

LP

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
You won't be able to connect to the camera directly if it is on the private network controlled by that second NIC. The network your PC/Phone etc. is on, would need to connect to the Blue Iris server directly. If you need to change camera settings, connect to the camera from your Blue Iris PC. This is the separation/protection you get with the 2nd NIC.

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You won't be able to connect to the camera directly if it is on the private network controlled by that second NIC. The network your PC/Phone etc. is on, would need to connect to the Blue Iris server directly. If you need to change camera settings, connect to the camera from your Blue Iris PC. This is the separation/protection you get with the 2nd NIC.
Thank you. It works. I found out that I dont need to use the port # with the hikvision. So I will now switch all my cameras to the 2nd NIC. It really was not that hard. I also found out that the orbi pro mini ( with VLAN) works pretty well.

mrc545

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can someone smarter than me explain why a separate, isolated switch is needed for the cameras? On a flat L2 network, if the isolated NIC has no default gateway (and is on a separate subnet), and all of the cameras follow suit, how would traffic be able to escape? When the isolated NIC and IP Camera ARP each other (which is only in the isolated network address space, since that is where they are configured to ARP), they learn each other's MAC, and establish their connection.

I use the same switches for my primary network, and for my IP Cameras. I have never seen an IP of any device on the isolated network ever show up on my router, as (I'm assuming) it doesn't know what to do with it those non-routable addresses.

Any sanity checks would be appreciated.