Dual NIC setup on your Blue Iris Machine

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any reason to use a vpn router over just installing a vpn server on the BI PC?

Fwiw, having set up both OpenVPN and Wireguard vpn servers, Wireguard is so much less complicated and just works. I had Wireguard setup in like 5 minutes, OpenVPN took me like 3 days of struggling with iptables lol (at least on FreeNAS).

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Any reason to use a vpn router over just installing a vpn server on the BI PC?

Fwiw, having set up both OpenVPN and Wireguard vpn servers, Wireguard is so much less complicated and just works. I had Wireguard setup in like 5 minutes, OpenVPN took me like 3 days of struggling with iptables lol (at least on FreeNAS).
Hosting a VPN server on BI is inside your LAN. This requires your router to be modified to allow the traffic through to your LAN in order to reach the VPN server service. This is like letting people in to a secure building, THEN checking their credentials to determine if they are authorized.

Best practice is to host the VPN service on the router, which will keep any unauthorized 'guests' from reaching your LAN.

mrc545

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hosting a VPN server on BI is inside your LAN. This requires your router to be modified to allow the traffic through to your LAN in order to reach the VPN server service. This is like letting people in to a secure building, THEN checking their credentials to determine if they are authorized.

Best practice is to host the VPN service on the router, which will keep any unauthorized 'guests' from reaching your LAN.
This. You typically want VPN traffic to terminate at your network perimeter.

Additionally, most routers are usually inherently more stable (linux-based, and don't have a lot going on, complexity-wise, in relation to a PC). I usually bring my router offline every couple of months in order to do a firmware update. Other than that, it just runs. I restart my PC at least weekly to push updates. If you have other people who rely on your VPN server (family members who need to access BI, or if you do some kind of shared folder/private cloud setup), having the OpenVPN Server on the router will ensure uptime if they need to access network-wide resources.

The only real detractor to hosting the OpenVPN server on the router is the speed penalty. Even with AES-NI, my router can't compete with the horsepower provided by the PC's CPU for cryptographic operations. It's not that big of a deal to me, as I'm getting around 180 Mbps throughput. Plenty for me.

Mac25

n3wb
Reaction score
back to dual nic i guess, my isp is only capable of 6 mbps till hs is terminated at location,
fiber on poles just waiting for ground crews.

VladS

n3wb
Reaction score
I need help with dual NIC. I installed NIC 2 (IP: 192.168.77.10) for PC with Blue IRIS and connected to POE Switch and connected the cameras (IP: 192.168.77.21,22,23,24,25) and the Blue IRIS is showing all cameras.

Before I installed dual NIC, I was using a WiFi Router – Centurylink C2000T to connect an Andriod tablet thru wifi network, using Chrome. After I installed dual NIC, I cannot connect to the router (I don’t have internet). Please help me with connecting to an android tablet or a laptop, because I have no idea how to do it.

I added photos of my setup if that helps. Thanks
NIC Setup.jpg

NIC Setup3.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would first have them on separate IP address subnets. Like 192.x.x. for the Internet and 10.x.x.x. for the cameras, or else you have a typo because you show 192.168.77.xx for both NICs, yet in Advanced TCIP you have put in a 192.168.1.x and 192.168.77.x subnet?

Also, on that setting, do not have both IP addresses of each NIC or you will cause problems - which may be what you have now. All that should be there is the IP address for that NIC card.

VladS

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for replying.
NIC2 and cameras settings are 192.168.77.xx , but for NIC1 the settings are selected as: Obtain IP address automatically.

So you’re saying I need to NIC 2 and cameras from 192.168.77.10 change to a 10.x.x.x.?

Do I need to remove 192.168.1.50 from advanced TCP?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
NIC2 and cameras settings are 192.168.77.xx , but for NIC1 the settings are selected as: Obtain IP address automatically.
Any idea what the router is handing out for a DHCP addresses?

What is the address you type in to your web browser to manage the Centurylink C2000T?

VladS

n3wb
Reaction score
Any idea what the router is handing out for a DHCP addresses?

What is the address you type in to your web browser to manage the Centurylink C2000T?
I'm not sure about what the router DHCP address is.

The web browser is 192.168.77.10:81

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
The web browser is 192.168.77.10:81
No, not according to your previous post. You stated you defined NIC #2 in your BI server as 192.168.77.10

I need help with dual NIC. I installed NIC 2 (IP: 192.168.77.10) for PC with Blue IRIS and connected to POE Switch and connected the cameras (IP: 192.168.77.21,22,23,24,25) and the Blue IRIS is showing all cameras.
Do you ever login to your Centurylink C2000T?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for replying.

So you’re saying I need to NIC 2 and cameras from 192.168.77.10 change to a 10.x.x.x.?

Do I need to remove 192.168.1.50 from advanced TCP?
When dealing with Cameras, it is best practice to always set STATIC IP's outside the range you have set for DHCP in the router for everything, including the BI pc.
If not, everytime something power cycles, there is a chance it's IP will change.

staind204

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a good NIC card for the dell optiplex 7040 SFF? The specifications say it uses a half size pcie type so i want to make sure i get one that fits. Thank you.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you @wittaj @SpacemanSpiff @looney2ns for helping, it resolved my issue.

What happened is that I connected my router to the NIC2 where the camera and the switch is. But right now I connected the router to NIC1 and everything works normal again.

Thank you guys so much.
And you're now using NIC#2 for... ?

If I am not mistaken, you now have it BACK to it's previous configuration, and the cams are hangin out with everything else on your network, and they are free to access the Internet as well :thumbdown:

VladS

n3wb
Reaction score
And you're now using NIC#2 for... ?

If I am not mistaken, you now have it BACK to it's previous configuration, and the cams are hangin out with everything else on your network, and they are free to access the Internet as well :thumbdown:
Only the cameras are connected to NIC2.

And I connect the andriod tablet to the router and the router to NIC1.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.