Dumb question...

zhill29

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there any way to set up BI to record continuously, delete old files that don't contain motion and archive the ones with motion?

Example....

Record and keep everything from all cameras for a week. And keep a months worth of footage that contains motion.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any way to set up BI to record continuously, delete old files that don't contain motion and archive the ones with motion?

Example....

Record and keep everything from all cameras for a week. And keep a months worth of footage that contains motion.
You can do this by creating cloned cameras, one recording continuously and one motion....this will take up more space...but will achieve the result

zhill29

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok one more thing, I didn't see anything in the camera settings about cloning I'm assuming I would just add the same camera again? Or is there a better way?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok one more thing, I didn't see anything in the camera settings about cloning I'm assuming I would just add the same camera again? Or is there a better way?
yup, add the same camera again ( you can export the camera and import), you will be forced to change the name..you will see blue iris will only pull a single stream not two...you can then hide the duplicate so you dont see doubles. (select hidden in the camera properties general tab)

zhill29

n3wb
Reaction score
yup, add the same camera again ( you can export the camera and import), you will be forced to change the name..you will see blue iris will only pull a single stream not two...you can then hide the duplicate so you dont see doubles. (select hidden in the camera properties general tab)
Thanks again!

ravencsr

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, new to all this but.........

Why would you need to set a camera to record all when you will set up a camera to record motion only? What purpose is it to have video capture of nothing happening when you can set to motion only?

What is the purpose of the 24/7 footage AND motion footage from the one camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, new to all this but.........

Why would you need to set a camera to record all when you will set up a camera to record motion only? What purpose is it to have video capture of nothing happening when you can set to motion only?

What is the purpose of the 24/7 footage AND motion footage from the one camera?
Some users are concerned that the may miss motion events, this happens if the threshold is set too high, the user is incorrectly using an option like object detect. Also, you can have an instance where the subject is just standing/sitting pretty still (using their cell phone or something) and not generating enough motion to trigger recording.

zhill29

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah having it set up this way was nice, but as I added a few more cameras it started to take a toll on my CPU usage even with the continuous cameras set to the lowest resolution. (This computer isn't 100% dedicated to BI) I resorted to setting all the cameras to trigger if so much as a ant crawls by and I'm slowly fine tuning each one individually. The motion detection seems to work fine enough to not worry about it though. I also have them set up to record a few seconds prior to being triggered.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah having it set up this way was nice, but as I added a few more cameras it started to take a toll on my CPU usage even with the continuous cameras set to the lowest resolution. (This computer isn't 100% dedicated to BI) I resorted to setting all the cameras to trigger if so much as a ant crawls by and I'm slowly fine tuning each one individually. The motion detection seems to work fine enough to not worry about it though. I also have them set up to record a few seconds prior to being triggered.
Are you using direct-to-disc recording? It makes a huge difference to CPU usage.

zhill29

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you using direct-to-disc recording? It makes a huge difference to CPU usage.
I've seen that said around here a few times. I assumed they were just referring to recording to a local disk on the computer vs network attached storage? Am I way off?

zhill29

n3wb
Reaction score
I've seen that said around here a few times. I assumed they were just referring to recording to a local disk on the computer vs network attached storage? Am I way off?
Nevermind, I just googled it. Now I know. I will try that out and see what it does. Now I guess I'll have to go turn on the time stamps on all the cameras again. :p

zhill29

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there any real advantage of using BVR format over AVI? I would like to have another computer on the network uploading some footage to a cloud server just in case the BI server was ever stolen. (There have been some shop robberies around here where they took the cameras DVR's while they were there.) It would be much nicer to have the files as .avi for that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any real advantage of using BVR format over AVI? I would like to have another computer on the network uploading some footage to a cloud server just in case the BI server was ever stolen. (There have been some shop robberies around here where they took the cameras DVR's while they were there.) It would be much nicer to have the files as .avi for that.
Yes, bvr is more efficient and does not have a size limit like avi. BVR clips can also be played back while its still recording the clip. If you want to playback avi you need to wait until the clip is closed. There is no issue uploading bvr files, you can easily play them back or export them to avi/mp4 using a demo version of blue iris on any computer.

zhill29

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, bvr is more efficient and does not have a size limit like avi. BVR clips can also be played back while its still recording the clip. If you want to playback avi you need to wait until the clip is closed. There is no issue uploading bvr files, you can easily play them back or export them to avi/mp4 using a demo version of blue iris on any computer.
Ok thanks, I will leave it as BVR for now and figure out how to import and play them on my laptop later. I just changed all but one camera to direct to disk and it made a huge difference on cpu usage. Dropped from around 55% to 28-30%

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok thanks, I will leave it as BVR for now and figure out how to import and play them on my laptop later. I just changed all but one camera to direct to disk and it made a huge difference on cpu usage. Dropped from around 55% to 28-30%
When using direct to disk, make sure in your camera settings, you match the iframe interval to your fps...also in blue iris in the record tab set the pretrigger frames to at least 2x your fps. This is important because in direct to disk mode blue iris begins recording when a new iframe is sent.

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fenderman,
I have one of my cameras set to record direct to disk. On the settings it shows it is in the "db" folder as I recall, but when I check it it appears there are a bunch of dat files and that is it..am I missing something, I have it set to record mp4 or avi files can't remember which.
Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman,
I have one of my cameras set to record direct to disk. On the settings it shows it is in the "db" folder as I recall, but when I check it it appears there are a bunch of dat files and that is it..am I missing something, I have it set to record mp4 or avi files can't remember which.
Thanks
the db folder will contain the database files only. The video is stored in the new folder and stored folder

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you do direct to disc, will the alerts show up in your clip list on the side of the interface?