DVR Constantly Restarts itself every 30-40 seconds. Please help.

tankyman

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an Eyemax 960H DVR that had been working for several years without an issue.

One day I noticed the monitor that usually shows my camera feeds was just a black screen.

I went to check on the DVR box and it didn't have any power at all, leading me to believe the PSU had burnt out after several years of use, and I had to order another.

I believe the original PSU was 12V 3A - and I ordered a 12V 4A (by mistake) and plugged it in to the DVR.

The DVR powered on, but never gets past the original loading in screen (blue screen stating "professional DVR 960H" , after that screen it turns to a black screen for several seconds, and then the DVR beeps and restarts itself again. DVR Model #DVST PST960H-16

It's stuck on this constant loop of rebooting, I even tried unplugging all the cables/wires from the back of the DVR and turning it on with only the power cable and VGA cable connected. Lastly I opened up the DVR box and disconnected the HDD, and started the DVR up, but the problem persisted, and it just rebooted again. Lastly, I found a battery on the motherboard a CR2032 - I replaced it with a brand new battery, but that didn't help either.

I do not think the PSU is the issue, because if the original was 12V 3A - now that I'm using a 12V 4A - there should be more than enough power for the DVR to draw from the PSU, and the DVR is turning on. -- Or do you think I NEED a 12V 3A instead of the 12V 4A I am currently using?

What do you guys/gals think, any help would be GREATLY GREATLY appreciated, and I mean it!

This is effecting the safety of my family, so any help would be tremendously welcomed, I have been doing all I can to figure out what is going on to no avail and its driving me nuts!

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an Eyemax 960H DVR that had been working for several years without an issue.

One day I noticed the monitor that usually shows my camera feeds was just a black screen.

I went to check on the DVR box and it didn't have any power at all, leading me to believe the PSU had burnt out after several years of use, and I had to order another.

I believe the original PSU was 12V 3A - and I ordered a 12V 4A (by mistake) and plugged it in to the DVR.

The DVR powered on, but never gets past the original loading in screen (blue screen stating "professional DVR 960H" , after that screen it turns to a black screen for several seconds, and then the DVR beeps and restarts itself again. DVR Model #DVST PST960H-16

It's stuck on this constant loop of rebooting, I even tried unplugging all the cables/wires from the back of the DVR and turning it on with only the power cable and VGA cable connected. Lastly I opened up the DVR box and disconnected the HDD, and started the DVR up, but the problem persisted, and it just rebooted again. Lastly, I found a battery on the motherboard a CR2032 - I replaced it with a brand new battery, but that didn't help either.

I do not think the PSU is the issue, because if the original was 12V 3A - now that I'm using a 12V 4A - there should be more than enough power for the DVR to draw from the PSU, and the DVR is turning on. -- Or do you think I NEED a 12V 3A instead of the 12V 4A I am currently using?

What do you guys/gals think, any help would be GREATLY GREATLY appreciated, and I mean it!

This is effecting the safety of my family, so any help would be tremendously welcomed, I have been doing all I can to figure out what is going on to no avail and its driving me nuts!
Stop throwing good money after bad. Whatever caused the power supply to fail may have caused other damage. For 220 bux you can buy this DVR that will not only allow you to keep using your old cams but upgrade to HD cameras in the future. Dahua Technology Pro Series 16-Channel Pentabrid 1080p Mini DVR (No HDD)

tankyman

n3wb
Reaction score
Stop throwing good money after bad. Whatever caused the power supply to fail may have caused other damage. For 220 bux you can buy this DVR that will not only allow you to keep using your old cams but upgrade to HD cameras in the future. Dahua Technology Pro Series 16-Channel Pentabrid 1080p Mini DVR (No HDD)
220?

looks like it's $354 without an HDD!

Also, I appreciate your response.

I am currently in a situation where the management group of my building will be upgrading the buildings CCTV's to high def / new technology shortly. They were intending to do it before Covid broke out, but that stalled the whole thing. I was trying to fix this DVR I have for the time being until they and the board members make the decision of which system and when to install it all, but with everything that's been going on, they are holding off.

Thats mainly the reason why I'd rather try and fix what I have then spend money on a new DVR when they will be buying a whole new system and new cameras ... ect... ect.. in the coming months. -- Would be a total waste of my money at that point.

Thanks though!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
220?

looks like it's $354 without an HDD!

Also, I appreciate your response.

I am currently in a situation where the management group of my building will be upgrading the buildings CCTV's to high def / new technology shortly. They were intending to do it before Covid broke out, but that stalled the whole thing. I was trying to fix this DVR I have for the time being until they and the board members make the decision of which system and when to install it all, but with everything that's been going on, they are holding off.

Thats mainly the reason why I'd rather try and fix what I have then spend money on a new DVR when they will be buying a whole new system and new cameras ... ect... ect.. in the coming months. -- Would be a total waste of my money at that point.

Thanks though!
Yes 220. You need to read where it says login to see our price.
You can sell the dvr later if you dont need it. Better then spending time and money on power supplies and not having a working system.

tankyman

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes 220. You need to read where it says login to see our price.
You can sell the dvr later if you dont need it. Better then spending time and money on power supplies and not having a working system.
Alright, fair point. What do you think about a used DVR for cheaper, maybe closer to $100 for the time being... Just to get me through the next few months.

ALSO, if I bought the 1 with NO HDD, could I take the old HDD out of my old DVR and install it in to the new DVR with no HDD? Or would that not work...?

Thanks man.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright, fair point. What do you think about a used DVR for cheaper, maybe closer to $100 for the time being... Just to get me through the next few months.

ALSO, if I bought the 1 with NO HDD, could I take the old HDD out of my old DVR and install it in to the new DVR with no HDD? Or would that not work...?

Thanks man.
I would not risk a used DVR. I am trying to understand what you are using this for. Is this the DVR currently used by the building management? Are you using all 16 channels?

tankyman

n3wb
Reaction score
3a vs 4a makes no difference if you're above, if it was 4a to 3a, that'd make a difference
Thank you, thats what I was thinking. So for sure it's not a PSU issue then.

Maybe fender is right, maybe when the PSU blew, it maybe somehow shorted something on the motherboard or what-not... because I have no clue whats wrong with it at this point!

tankyman

n3wb
Reaction score
I would not risk a used DVR. I am trying to understand what you are using this for. Is this the DVR currently used by the building management? Are you using all 16 channels?
I am the super of the building. The DVR is for my safety (as I live in the basement where nobody else lives) and before I go answering the door when it rings multiple times per day, I like to glance up at the monitor and see who it is that I am about to go and open my door too. Also, the building (members on the board and shareholders alike) like having the cameras because it makes it easy for them to figure out what happened in the event something bad happens, whether it is to a person or property like the lobby doors being damaged for instance.

This DVR was installed by the building years ago, and they have known for some time that they should upgrade and get something GOOD. They were talking about getting high definition cameras and giving everybody access to them on their cell phones in the near future. However once covid hit - that took a back seat and for now at least they are not going forward with any plans on buying a new system until everything calms down, which could be another year from now, and I would rather not stay without a live feed of the cameras until they decide to upgrade the system.

So, I guess if I have too - and you think my DVR is a lost-cause I'd be open to getting another 1, just for the time being - but just know that this DVR won't be used for that long of a time period, so I would rather not spend a ton of money on it, which is why I mentioned a used DVR - since I found the same one you just linked me but instead of $220 - it was $130 and apparently in 9/10 condition. It'd be alot easier for me to part with $130 on something I know that I'll probably not be using in a few months to a years time. Rather then spending over $200.

I hope that I painted the picture a little more clearly now!

Thanks again guys!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am the super of the building. The DVR is for my safety (as I live in the basement where nobody else lives) and before I go answering the door when it rings multiple times per day, I like to glance up at the monitor and see who it is that I am about to go and open my door too. Also, the building (members on the board and shareholders alike) like having the cameras because it makes it easy for them to figure out what happened in the event something bad happens, whether it is to a person or property like the lobby doors being damaged for instance.

This DVR was installed by the building years ago, and they have known for some time that they should upgrade and get something GOOD. They were talking about getting high definition cameras and giving everybody access to them on their cell phones in the near future. However once covid hit - that took a back seat and for now at least they are not going forward with any plans on buying a new system until everything calms down, which could be another year from now, and I would rather not stay without a live feed of the cameras until they decide to upgrade the system.

So, I guess if I have too - and you think my DVR is a lost-cause I'd be open to getting another 1, just for the time being - but just know that this DVR won't be used for that long of a time period, so I would rather not spend a ton of money on it.

I hope that I painted the picture a little more clearly now!

Thanks again guys!
220 bux for a large building is not a ton of money. You will be able to transfer the hard drive. If you are not using 16 channels you can buy an 8ch for less. If you dont mind waiting a bit longer you can get that DVR or something similar from @EMPIRETECANDY for less.
This dvr supports 1080p cameras so you may not need to replace it later anyway. As far as giving everyone remote access that is easier said than done if you consider the security implications of opening ports or using p2p as you will eventually get hacked.

tankyman

n3wb
Reaction score
220 bux for a large building is not a ton of money. You will be able to transfer the hard drive. If you are not using 16 channels you can buy an 8ch for less. If you dont mind waiting a bit longer you can get that DVR or something similar from @EMPIRETECANDY for less.
This dvr supports 1080p cameras so you may not need to replace it later anyway. As far as giving everyone remote access that is easier said than done if you consider the security implications of opening ports or using p2p as you will eventually get hacked.
Much appreciated for all your help. - I agree $220 is nothing for a large building. But I doubt they will cover the cost of it because they are intending to redo the entire system. They want to throw out all of what we have in place, and get some really really good high quality cameras (and add a number of cameras) as opposed to just having 4 cameras, they were talking about having 8-12+ ... I just doubt they'll want to spend the $220 now, knowing they are likely to spend thousands in the coming months on getting top of the line equipment in and a company to install it all. --- I was just looking to see if I could fix mine or I guess buy an extremely cheap 1 that I could cover the cost of, for my own sake.

But I hear you man, and I seriously appreciate all the help! -- I'm going to stop trying to fix this, and move on with replacing it with something like the 1 you linked me for the time being, until they decide to upgrade.

Thanks again sir you rock.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Much appreciated for all your help. - I agree $220 is nothing for a large building. But I doubt they will cover the cost of it because they are intending to redo the entire system. They want to throw out all of what we have in place, and get some really really good high quality cameras (and add a number of cameras) as opposed to just having 4 cameras, they were talking about having 8-12+ ... I just doubt they'll want to spend the $220 now, knowing they are likely to spend thousands in the coming months on getting top of the line equipment in and a company to install it all. --- I was just looking to see if I could fix mine or I guess buy an extremely cheap 1 that I could cover the cost of, for my own sake.

But I hear you man, and I seriously appreciate all the help! -- I'm going to stop trying to fix this, and move on with replacing it with something like the 1 you linked me for the time being, until they decide to upgrade.

Thanks again sir you rock.
If you only have 4 cameras you can buy a 4 channel for 100 bux.
Sounds like they are going to get royally ripped of on a new system in the future. They will tell you the equipment is "top of the line" charge you triple cost and insane labor.

tankyman

n3wb
Reaction score
If you only have 4 cameras you can buy a 4 channel for 100 bux.
Sounds like they are going to get royally ripped of on a new system in the future. They will tell you the equipment is "top of the line" charge you triple cost and insane labor.
LOL! Thats hilarious because its very likely to happen....especially here in NY!

I will look for a 4 CH. DVR then that way I'm only pulling $100 out of my pocket. and we only have 4 cams up currently.

Then whatever they decide to do later on, I may come back here and share with you... if for no other reason just to give you a good laugh as to what crooks are trying to screw us... LOL

Lastly, if you buy a DVR with no HDD - could you just open up the DVR and install the HDD yourself if you have 1? - Will you need to source the wires or will the wires already be in that DVR ready for an HDD to be added?

I'll leave ya alone after that question haha ;)

Thanks a bunch brotha

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL! Thats hilarious because its very likely to happen....especially here in NY!

I will look for a 4 CH. DVR then that way I'm only pulling $100 out of my pocket. and we only have 4 cams up currently.

Then whatever they decide to do later on, I may come back here and share with you... if for no other reason just to give you a good laugh as to what crooks are trying to screw us... LOL

Lastly, if you buy a DVR with no HDD - could you just open up the DVR and install the HDD yourself if you have 1? - Will you need to source the wires or will the wires already be in that DVR ready for an HDD to be added?

I'll leave ya alone after that question haha ;)

Thanks a bunch brotha
It will contain all the connectors your need. Just pop the new drive in and format.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
3a vs 4a makes no difference if you're above, if it was 4a to 3a, that'd make a difference
Yep the unit will only draw as much power as it needs, it's getting the correct voltage and a power rating that exceeds the maximum drawn that matters. It's like a pc, once you get over the max system draw limit eg 400W, it doesn't matter if you stick a 450W or 1,500W PSU in, or anything in between, you're good to go. Here provided its 12v @ 3A or above, you're good. When PSU's fail it can go 1 of 2 ways. They fade away or they can send a spike throughout the whole system. If it sent a spike then it could have damaged multiple components throughout the DVR. Best thing to do with the DVR is remove the HD and send the DVR for recycling.

Last edited:

tankyman

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep the unit will only draw as much power as it needs, it's getting the correct voltage and a power rating that exceeds the maximum drawn that matters. It's like a pc, once you get over the max system draw limit eg 400W, it doesn't matter if you stick a 450W or 1,500W PSU in, or anything in between, you're good to go. Here provided its 12v @ 3A or above, you're good. When PSU's fail it can go 1 of 2 ways. They fade away or they can send a spike throughout the whole system. If it sent a spike then it could have damaged multiple components throughout the DVR. Best thing to do with the DVR is remove the HD and send the DVR for recycling.
Much appreciated response, this seems to be the consesus here - I wish I found this fourms before I spent a bunch of time researching in other places wasting hours of my time! -- I am going to be ordering another DVR something with just 4-channels for the time being, until the management agency decides to revamp the whole system and cameras later this year. -- Thank again!

Now im off to find a decent 4 channel DVR for under $100 haha.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Much appreciated response, this seems to be the consesus here - I wish I found this fourms before I spent a bunch of time researching in other places wasting hours of my time! -- I am going to be ordering another DVR something with just 4-channels for the time being, until the management agency decides to revamp the whole system and cameras later this year. -- Thank again!

Now im off to find a decent 4 channel DVR for under $100 haha.
B and H has the dahua pentabrid DVR for 100.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wasn't able to find that, only found a used 1 for $70 - Would you mind linking it? - I'll order it right now!

You will have to wait until 9:30pm to place the order as they close on Saturdays.

tankyman

n3wb
Reaction score

You will have to wait until 9:30pm to place the order as they close on Saturdays.
Thank you, much appreciated.