Early-gen i5 for Blue Iris server?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
because when you go to transfer media too or from that 20TB media server you built your going to drop frames and loose recording data; so you better hope that your never copying over a bluray file at the same time someone's outside stealing your mail.

Murphy's Law dictates that if your investing the time and money in a surveillance system, its likely to fail when you need it the most.. dont stack the odds against yourself.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got it. I'll get to that in time for sure. I'll probably go with a SFF with a single storage drive and tuck it in the corner someplace.

As far as the stinking mail goes, we have those stoopid gang mail boxes so the thieves can knock off the whole street at once. As nobody else (people across the street from the boxes) cares, I'll probably focus a camera with a nice telephoto lense from my roof to those boxes one of these days. I soo much want to catch those bastards as that has become a big problem in our neighborhood.. that and car break-ins and general theft in people's yards, hence the addition of cameras to my Vera Z-wave system that already protects us from unauthorized entry and controls a whole host of things at the house. I can even get these cams to trigger lights and alarm sirens after I get things going with the Vera Plugin.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NAS also makes poor recorders, if you have a big ass raid array full of important data; you'll do anything to keep it and if that means downtime while waiting for a replacement disk and then the days/weeks to rebuild/verify/restore will be worth the trouble.

Your NVR is mostly garbage data until an event happens, it should always be recording, which is wearing and tearing on disks.. If you have a multi-disk NVR and one disk goes out, you'll pull it out, RMA it and get the NVR back online at reduced capacity ASAP, never bothering with data recovery at all unless there house just got robbed and the disk failed (Murhphy is an asshole).. almost the exact opposite way people treat there personal fileservers.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's always the option to up the priority of a process so that it doesn't drop frames.. Drive back up to an external location or at least a drive on one of my other systems is probably better than doing a NAS or RAID anyhow. There's no substitute for a good back up plan. I can set that for the particular directory on the recording drive to have it back up at close intervals.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its not the process, its the network your killing.. HDD"s today are entirely capable of saturating a GigE network connection, espically a raid.

cameras are streaming via UDP for lowest latency, and wont retransmit on failure.. so you'll drop frames, the image will tear and the recording will be crap.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ahh.. I see. I was under the impression that dropped frames are just that, 1/59.94 second missing from the picture for each frame dropped.. Tearing is usually cause by issues with the video processor not being fast enough or an issue with codecs. But if the camera is transmitting without failure re-transmit then that is another issue altogether. Please direct me to another thread where this is discussed as I fear we are going somewhat OT in this thread.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
each frame is the difference of the frame before it; not an entire frame.. so you loose frames and the image starts tearing on motion, loose an iframe and the entire image goes to shit..

lots of things can cause tearing, poor network performance, poor disk performance, poor cpu performance.. thats why we dedicate hardware to VMS so we can guarantee it has all the resources it needs w/out external interference.. disable auto updates, anti-virus, everything and just let it churn along doing what its supposed to do

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't had updates enabled since Microsoft started spamming Win10 as a critical update in Win7. As far as AV goes, MSE does a pretty good job with that and is very low profile on the system. While I completely understand what it is that you are saying, another PC isn't in the budget right now. I will do that as funds permit.. Still a small form factor system with SSD and high RPM HDD('s?) with a good back up plan.. Tell me, what are the Tb requirements for a 5 or 6 cam system recording 24/7 and say 7 days retention? Can the retention be made lower if it is set to archive footage on alarm or motion detection? I want a decent system that doesn't break the bank. A good cost balance so to speak.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A single 4-6TB Purple should do it, depending on bitrates.. search online for ip camera storage calculators