Early-gen i5 for Blue Iris server?

bconrey

n3wb
Reaction score
Just getting started with Blue Iris. I'll have 6-7 cameras to start, no real plans to grow beyond that (always a possibility of course). Rather than buying a new PC just for this purpose, I noticed my kids have an older Inspiron desktop that I upgraded to an i5 (760 maybe?) and 8 Gb RAM a couple years back. I'd rather put money towards a new PC for them if I can re-purpose their old one for this.

Assuming the only purpose of the PC is to drive Blue Iris, Windows 10, running as a service - will it have the oomph to do it?

Thanks in advance for the feedback and assistance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just getting started with Blue Iris. I'll have 6-7 cameras to start, no real plans to grow beyond that (always a possibility of course). Rather than buying a new PC just for this purpose, I noticed my kids have an older Inspiron desktop that I upgraded to an i5 (760 maybe?) and 8 Gb RAM a couple years back. I'd rather put money towards a new PC for them if I can re-purpose their old one for this.

Assuming the only purpose of the PC is to drive Blue Iris, Windows 10, running as a service - will it have the oomph to do it?

first gen processors were power hungry, relatively weak, and do not support quicksync which blue iris uses for hardware acceleration..you can pickup and i5-6500 with 3 year warranty for about 300..or third gen systems for as little as 150...search elitedesk, optiplex...

bconrey

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and perspective. Looks like my first gen i5 pre-dates Quicksync so that's a no-go. One last question on this topic - I have another PC which has an AMD A10-6790k with 16Gb of memory. Of course, it does not have quicksync and I know that Intel processors generally fare better in every category for this application, but I was curious if others have used a moderate AMD processor like mine and had success (or failure) with it...?

Given the choice I'd have the new PC under my desk rather than dedicated to my NVR. Then I'd have an excuse to buy new monitors, too!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
a modern machine for BlueIris will sip on power, many people here have em loaded under 50W... the problem with old machines w/out hardware support is BlueIris loads em up and they stay that way 24/7/365... Your older machines are likely to pull 200W+ doing the same task; and its functionally equivalent to running a space heater on low forever.

with modern machines running from $200-300; the'll pay for them selves in electricity usage alone within a year or so.

a modern low power system will also run off a battery backup for several times longer than any of those old machines you got... if you get 5-10mins of runtime off that AMD you'd get proabibly 30mins of runtime off a newer machine.

bconrey

n3wb
Reaction score
Great info again, thanks. Was hoping to upgrade some of the other PCs in the house as part of this project but it looks like I'll need to come up with a different excuse for that!

bconrey

n3wb
Reaction score
Found a factory refurb HP ProDesk 400 G3 with i5-6500 and 4Gb plus 128ssd for ~$360 after education discount. A few bucks for another 4Gb plus a purple drive for video and I should be all set.

I'm sure there are threads regarding hard drive sizing; I'm going to go search for them now and would appreciate any additional perspective you'd like to share here.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

Last edited:

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

If this is a starter pc try it out no need to spend more money until your set on what you what/need I have a first gen i5 Lynchfield CPU im running 8 cameras highest setting all cams 2688x1520 bit rate 8k and using 65% CPU the key is the CPU cooling keep it at 45c and under

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If this is a starter pc try it out no need to spend more money until your set on what you what/need I have a first gen i5 Lynchfield CPU im running 8 cameras highest setting all cams 2688x1520 bit rate 8k and using 65% CPU the key is the CPU cooling keep it at 45c and under
And wasting more money than buying an efficient PC...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No need to buy a new pc if the one you have runs fine.. specially a HP shit bucket
You obviously have no clue about the cost of energy...you are foolishly paying your electric company instead of yourself...they love suckers like you... Stop misleading. HP elitedesk system's are top notch...It's is obvious that you have no experience in this field...Best to stop giving improper advice...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Go on amazon, buy something called a kill o watt, you tell it how much you pay per killowat hour and then plug something into it and let it run for a couple of days, it will tell you how much that device draws in amps, watts, volts, and how much it's costing you to run a week, month, year.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You obviously have no clue about the cost of energy...you are foolishly paying your electric company instead of yourself...they love suckers like you... Stop misleading. HP elitedesk system's are top notch...It's is obvious that you have no experience in this field...Best to stop giving improper advice...
Trust me i'm fully aware of energy cost of my i5 Lynchfield CPU it uses 117 watts of power with a 60% CPU load which is also running 24/7. Now in my state the electricity cost is 0.08 (kWh) with that said it cost me 6.50 to 7.00 a month to run this pc 24/7 at 60% load. And it's about $80.00 to $82.00 a year,now my pc is using the highest power settings and is overclocked, so mine will be higher watts then normal. So going back to buying a new pc or using what you have. So even spending 300 on a new pc (which is cheap)for the Energy savings wouldn't pay off in a 3 year time frame. Also I do have tons experience in the tech field I have been working on computers at the age 8. Also im Cisco certified, A+ Certified, and Microsoft certified,I also am the technology leader in my company for the last 10 years. Again you say I no nothing because my views on the subject aren't the same as yours. And if it's not your solution to the problem it's always the wrong one. Meaning you think what you say is always right,and everyone else knows nothing. So obviously your statement above has two flase misleading solutions. :)

Electricity bill calculator | Energy cost calculator

Attachments