Early-gen i5 for Blue Iris server?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ASSume much? 7 year reseller of HP and have first hand experience. I know you think what you say goes but they are dog shit as far as im concerned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
I can assure my members that you are lying...As I said best tech support I have encountered...You must be pissed for another reason and are fabricating..that is the worst kind of post...it helps no one...And yes what I say goes...

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can assure my members that you are lying...As I said best tech support I have encountered...You must be pissed for another reason and are fabricating..that is the worst kind of post...it helps no one...And yes what I say goes...
Nope, not pissed about anything. In fact HP makes up about 20% of my sales. I again laugh at your ASSumptions but will no longer argue with you and your incredibly annoying superiority complex. You're making the fool out of yourself not me. The members of this forum can draw their own conclusions without you shoving it down their throats. If they would like to know my experiences, good and bad, with HP support I'll be more than happy to share. I actually enjoy helping people. God forbid anyone on this board have a different opinion than you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, not pissed about anything. In fact HP makes up about 20% of my sales. I again laugh at your ASSumptions but will no longer argue with you and your incredibly annoying superiority complex. You're making the fool out of yourself not me. The members of this forum can draw their own conclusions without you shoving it down their throats. If they would like to know my experiences, good and bad, with HP support I'll be more than happy to share. I actually enjoy helping people. God forbid anyone on this board have a different opinion than you.

Once again, I can assure members that you are a blatant liar. Please tell us about your their "dog shit" support? How can you explain the fact that I have always received exceptional support from them? Do they only treat me well? Must be something wrong with you. I can say with certainly that you have an axe to grind and are purposely lying. Its not about opinion its about fact. Lots of inexperienced folks such are yourself come here claiming a pedigree they do not posses, pissed off at Microsoft or Symantec because of an issue 7 years ago..get over yourself. Stop misleading end users here and for gods sake STOP LYING. I have maintained a long standing practice on this forum to call out bullshitters such as yourself and will continue doing so. You help no one by LYING about HP or any other manufacture for that matter. If that annoys you, you can fuck off and leave. Let me know if you need help with that.

bconrey

n3wb
Reaction score
A follow-up on this, with now a couple weeks under my belt. Mostly an update for the guys like me who will come across this thread in the future while trying to figure out how to build their system.

My ProDesk was a great deal but has certain challenges with its SFF footprint. I read the specs but it didn't quite come out that the open drive bays were dependent on the hard drive chosen. Fortunately I selected the SSD which was a 2.5. I had to permanently remove the slim DVDRW drive, zip-tie the SSD in its place (no real mounting kit that I could find), and put the purple drive in the 3.5 bay. Moral of the story - always get a tower if you can.

As indicated by others, this new processor sips power. Driving the PC plus two POE switches and 5 cams and I'm under 30 watts.

8 gigs of memory for my config is more than sufficient. Memory is so cheap I was debating whether to go with 16. With the BI console running, 5 cams, and remote desktop I'm seeing under 3Gb of memory usage.

Thanks again for the helpful advice!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A follow-up on this, with now a couple weeks under my belt. Mostly an update for the guys like me who will come across this thread in the future while trying to figure out how to build their system.

My ProDesk was a great deal but has certain challenges with its SFF footprint. I read the specs but it didn't quite come out that the open drive bays were dependent on the hard drive chosen. Fortunately I selected the SSD which was a 2.5. I had to permanently remove the slim DVDRW drive, zip-tie the SSD in its place (no real mounting kit that I could find), and put the purple drive in the 3.5 bay. Moral of the story - always get a tower if you can.

As indicated by others, this new processor sips power. Driving the PC plus two POE switches and 5 cams and I'm under 30 watts.

8 gigs of memory for my config is more than sufficient. Memory is so cheap I was debating whether to go with 16. With the BI console running, 5 cams, and remote desktop I'm seeing under 3Gb of memory usage.

Thanks again for the helpful advice!
The elitedesk SSF has room for a 2.5, 3.5 and dvd drive bay....I would assume the prodesk would be the same. The 2.5 is mounted under the 3.5 using special screws like these...20 HP Desktop Hard Drive Mounting Grommet Screws Elite Pro 6000 8000 8100 8200 | eBay
You can also buy a caddy that replaced the dvd drive to hold the ssd...
Edit, you can see the 2.5 drive bay here at 1:10

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You are wrong. You must be referring to home systems.. business support is out of San Antonio and with native English speakers...You get through to a human in under 5 minuets... Media is shipped FedEx overnight free...if you have no experience it's better to keep quiet...
Lmao no Support EVER has only a 5mins wait for support,not even Apple has support that fast of support time and their the best computer support money can buy. That's why you pay a high price for there computers,support cost money. Hp can sell cheap systems, cause like most companies their support is crap,they use cheap parts and don't back their products. But this can give you a good pc to run BI on for years. Remember their a company that makes money off of you . Do you really think they will give you A+ support under 5mins, and a A+ Warranty for a pc system running you 300 too 500 dollars?? HP is cheap for a reason don't be so gullible .

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lmao no Support EVER has only a 5mins wait for support,not even Apple has support that fast of support time and their the best computer support money can buy. That's why you pay a high price for there computers,support cost money. Hp can sell cheap systems, cause like most companies their support is crap,they use cheap parts and don't back their products. But this can give you a good pc to run BI on for years. Remember their a company that makes money off of you . Do you really think they will give you A+ support under 5mins, and a A+ Warranty for a pc system running you 300 too 500 dollars?? HP is cheap for a reason don't be so gullible .
I dont think, I know for a fact. I have called them several times and got through right away. This is not your typical bullshit india based support you get with home systems or even dell business, its US based with native english speakers. Two years ago they sent me windows 7 media overnight for FREE. They were open on THANKSGIVING eve. The warranty is A+ with next day on site service. These machines dont cost 300-500 dollars...they are 700-1k new in store, they are only cheap via ebay...that is why they are such a good value!!!
I guess if you have apple makes you wait on hold that long and charged you 2-5x for the same hardware you are the gullible one...oh and their products only come with a one year warranty and no onsite service (its available only with desktops not laptops and only with applecare at an additional cost)
I have a ton of these machines in service. You simply dont have a clue.

Last edited:

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and perspective. Looks like my first gen i5 pre-dates Quicksync so that's a no-go. One last question on this topic - I have another PC which has an AMD A10-6790k with 16Gb of memory. Of course, it does not have quicksync and I know that Intel processors generally fare better in every category for this application, but I was curious if others have used a moderate AMD processor like mine and had success (or failure) with it...?

Given the choice I'd have the new PC under my desk rather than dedicated to my NVR. Then I'd have an excuse to buy new monitors, too!
I have a A10-5800K with 8 gigs of ram. I run 6 cams on blue iris with around 35% usage. It was drawing around 60 watts last time I checked. BI only does MD for 2 of them. I have fps lowered, onboard motion, and lower res on a few overview cams. It stays up for months at a time and works great given the settings. That being said a newer i5 system or better would be ideal.

I would be careful about buying a pc with a short warranty. Go for the machines with a 3 year plan they mention here. Keep in mind that while a pc is fixable you will have to purchase a new windows key if your motherboard fails. That is my main issue with windows in general and I wish the developer would have designed BI to at least have the possibility for porting to a different os.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a A10-5800K with 8 gigs of ram. I run 6 cams on blue iris with around 35% usage. It was drawing around 60 watts last time I checked. BI only does MD for 2 of them. I have fps lowered, onboard motion, and lower res on a few overview cams. It stays up for months at a time and works great given the settings. That being said a newer i5 system or better would be ideal.

I would be careful about buying a pc with a short warranty. Go for the machines with a 3 year plan they mention here. Keep in mind that while a pc is fixable you will have to purchase a new windows key if your motherboard fails. That is my main issue with windows in general and I wish the developer would have designed BI to at least have the possibility for porting to a different os.
Amd are known power hogs ...Not a good choice for bi

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
AMD would be a very bad CPU for BI not only power but many other reasons like Quick sync..ect... why would you ever go with AMD

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
AMD would be a very bad CPU for BI not only power but many other reasons like Quick sync..ect... why would you ever go with AMD
Because I already had the extra pc before BI. Its a temporary setup but at least not having a dedicated gpu helps a bit on power usage.

I have a dahua nvr on the way to play with. It might end up somewhere else if I miss BI and finally get around to upgrading to a i5. I only need the cpu and motherboard so I won't buy a prebuilt machine.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Because I already had the extra pc before BI. Its a temporary setup but at least not having a dedicated gpu helps a bit on power usage.

I have a dahua nvr on the way to play with. It might end up somewhere else if I miss BI and finally get around to upgrading to a i5. I only need the cpu and motherboard so I won't buy a prebuilt machine.
Will be the same price to buy a machine

Cyph

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have an old Core 2 Q6600. However, it has a GTX460. I think the Nvidia card has hardware acceleration. That should work with Blue Iris right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I have an old Core 2 Q6600. However, it has a GTX460. I think the Nvidia card has hardware acceleration. That should work with Blue Iris right?
I stated no it will not provide Hardware acceleration also those old processors are huge power Hogs in conjunction with discrete video The Q 6600 is a relatively weak processor... it will cost you more to run that system then it would replacing it with a modern efficient i5 Haswell or Skylake which will be several times more powerful than the Q 6600

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow!! Don't fight guys!

I run a self built i5 Haswell 4670k on a Gigabyte Z97x Socket 1150 board that I built almost 3 years ago now. Win 7x64 Pro and 16 Gb RAM along with a Samsung EVO 850Pro SSD. I'm seeing cpu under 20% with two cameras right now AND I run this machine as a media server (20Tb storage) with other intensive processes going on keeping my media collection enriched. Looking right now, I'm showing 30W on CPUID HWMonitor. I suspect I'll hit 50% or so on my CPU when I get the rest of my cams installed. BTW, Powershoot UPS reading is showing about 20% of total capacity so I'm good there too. As far as support goes, I don't understand the discussion. I've built and supported my own systems for decades now and don't really rely on CS anyhow.

All that said, I haven't selected the QuickSync (Intel HD Hardware Acceleration) option yet in the Blue Iris Camera settings because I don't want to reboot right now. When I have the time to do that I will but rebooting takes down other things (my media mostly) which I need to do at an appropriate time so as to not have the hounds of hell come down upon me! Is this even worth the effort? Blue Iris seems to be running fine as it is right now.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow!! Don't fight guys!

I run a self built i5 Haswell 4670k on a Gigabyte Z97x Socket 1150 board that I build almost 3 years ago now. Win 7x65 Pro and 16 Gb RAM along with a Samsung EVO 840Pro SSD. I'm seeing cpu under 20% with two cameras right now AND I run this machine as a media server with other intensive processes going one keeping my media collection enriched. Looking right now, I'm showing 30W on CPUID HWMonitor. I suspect I'll hit 50% or so on my CPU when I get the rest of my cams installed. BTW, Powershoot UPS reading is showing about 20% of total capacity so I'm good there too. As far as support goes, I don't understand the discussion. I've built and supported my own systems for decades now and don't really rely on CS anyhow.

All that said, I haven't selected the QuickSync (Intel HD Hardware Acceleration) option yet in the Blue Iris Camera settings because I don't want to reboot right now. When I have the time to do that I will but rebooting takes down other things (my media mostly) which I need to do at an appropriate time so as to not have the hounds of hell come down upon me! Is this even worth the effort? Blue Iris seems to be running fine as it is right now.
Two cameras and likely low res is why it's working..A PC should be dedicated to VMS...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
we got people here with a dozen cameras using that much cpu/power; not 2..

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Two cameras and likely low res is why it's working..A PC should be dedicated to VMS...
I'll get there in time. Woopie! Another Build on the horizon! Right now though, things are going smooth. My cams are only 2MP 1080p but I do have some of the settings tuned up in Blue Iris though. I will tweak it as I need to down the road. I know I'm the noob but why a dedicated PC when I've got a pretty robust one already?

Last edited: