Electrical Inspection Wall Of Shame

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is REALLY unusual is conductors that size having colored insulation. Because of lack of availability (at some point in the past), the NEC (assuming it's in the U.S.) allowed the use of colored phasing tape on conductors larger than #6 AWG. Most electrical contractors took that route also because black was so much cheaper, even as the colors in the larger gauges became more readily available.

I don't know when the NEC started the colored phasing tape allowance but I'll guess it began in the early 70's when there was big copper conductor shortage. We had several traffic signals that were put in circa '71 where ALL the underground #14 conductors with TW and UF insulation were black and were color-coded with red, yellow, green, blue and white tape!

Last edited:

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Beautiful work.
480 volt/3 phase, no doubt.
277 volt to the neutral (the grey).
Without context it tough to tell. Looks to me like 10 2 awg wires coming from a generator to bus bars. Is BOY limited to 480 or can be used on any 3 phase circuit? 10 2 awg wires could carry over 1000 amps so I guessed a 4160 generator.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Without context it tough to tell. Looks to me like 10 2 awg wires coming from a generator to bus bars. Is BOY limited to 480 or can be used on any 3 phase circuit? 10 2 awg wires could carry over 1000 amps so I guessed a 4160 generator.
In my past experience, BOY was for 480 3 phase, 277 to neutral, at least in the U.S. of A. Since it's been 20 years I looked it up and got some confirmation.

NEC_US_3phase-colors.jpg

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Brown, Orange, Yellow is still reserved for 480 VAC 3 PH. Inside of control enclosures, anything above 120VAC control voltage will be black. It is acceptable for grounds larger than #6 to be black, but they must have green electrical tape wrapped around the visible ends.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's the electric panel of the house I grew up in. Not sure how jenky it is, but looks pretty jenky to me. The dryer and barn circuits were added on. We were pretty late getting a microwave.

Here's the electric panel of the house I grew up in. Not sure how jenky it is, but looks pretty jenky to me. The dryer and barn circuits were added on. We were pretty late getting a microwave.

I hope those are really old photos and not the currently installed situation. :wow::wow:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
A couple of years after moving into my house I discovered the 100 amp feed to the shop, covered with about 5" of dirt, had a 4-inch separation between two sections of the PVC pipe
Me thinks this is a bot, or a huge coincidence that it's an exact sentence from something I posted a year ago. Electrical Inspection Wall Of Shame

Is it phishing? What are the three fine-print clickable links following the text? Every one of the 6 posts from this user has small print clickable links.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Me thinks this is a bot, or a huge coincidence that it's an exact sentence from something I posted a year ago. Electrical Inspection Wall Of Shame

Is it phishing? What are the three fine-print clickable links following the text? Every one of the 6 posts from this user has small print clickable links.
Removed him