Engineers bait box

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, ok. Sorry. I checked the latest posts but didn't see it. Sorry for the double post.
Thanks @PeskyPete

Worth watching that video a few times! ( does it piss you off you can't see the faces also?!?!? )

Catcamstar posted it earlier in the chit-chat section.
Car porch thieves - bomb them :)

Wow! 18+ Million views.. jumped up from 5 Million when I first saw it.
( on youtube alone - hmm wondering if facebook is still hijacking content creators videos and not compensating them .. )

This has to be the biggest successes for a viral video I have seen!

I think we should see if Andy can hook Mark Rober with a nice proper 2MP starlight camera at eye level by his door... with the Nest cameras without time stamps and mounted high they did not make the best camera setup for evidence. ( another reason for police to not follow up - if they can not use the evidence, they will be less likely to take time on smaller thefts ).

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Brilliant. The engineer spent a lot of money and time to produce such great results. Too bad there was a low tech, easy trap that worked (in a legally/morally responsible way) that we could employ with similar results.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think it was at 18 million yesterday
lol, and it was 5+ Million when I saw catcamstar's post in the ChitChat section on it.

So 30 Million views in 2.5 days?!?!?!

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Probably all of the criminal pieces o crap passing it around so they make sure not to pick one up.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed...however...the guy is a very talented individual nonetheless; that’s not phony.

Reaction score
Yes, there's no doubt he's very talented regarding the tech design, engineering and execution of his ideas.
I had a couple of my friends at work (who are familiar with my camera installation) forward me the original link. My tongue-in-cheek reply: "For all the time, effort, and money that went into that gadget, I would have simply installed some LPR cameras, recorded the license plates of the perps, and then hired a private detective to hunt them down and beat them up."

It's a shame the guy damaged his credibility with the fake reactions. It is certainly a clever gadget, but I found it rather peculiar that (a) so many people would steal it, and (b) he somehow succeeded in recovering it every single time. Despite the "stink bomb" aspect, you would think that at least one person would have torn it apart to find out what was inside it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Only a few of the reactions were fake, and he is not the one who faked it. He deleted those scenes. His only fault is that he got duped by a friend of a friend. They guy is a legit engineer and this thing is brilliant.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I did think that some of the "thieves" were enjoying it all a bit too much, laughing, etc., and in some cases, the wording the thieves used was suspiciously similar to each other.

If that fart spray is anything like the "liquid ass" my son got a few years ago, I can't imagine much laughing going on. That stuff reeks!

Still, an interesting project.

On a missing-package-related note: Yesterday, a stranger came to my door to deliver a package addressed to my wife that he found laying in his driveway a block or two away. That was a good way to meet a neighbor. The exact opposite of a package thief! We're blessed with a lot of great neighbors, actually.

I think the mail carrier accidentally dropped it. It was a small package that could easily go unnoticed if you were in a hurry.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk