ePOE reliability

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you can access the cameras via the camera GUI, you can reset that way.

Otherwise you will have to go to where they are mounted and push the reset button next to where the SD cards go.

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Each camera had an ip address but I guess it was still “looking” at port 1 since that is what I used. I will reset them and try that. Fingers crossed it works or I will pickup that Poe switch and try that

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just for testing purposes could I plug them back into port 1 and see if they appear? Guess I couldn’t reset them that way as I wouldn’t keep them in that port

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just plug one in at a time in separate ports. But yeah as long as they havent been connected to anything else, that should work

Usually the ports are in banks of 4. Ive had switches go bad where ports 1-4 quit, but 5-8 worked and so on

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Other possibility like I said is the power supply. I dont know how that works exactly, but I think its possible it could be degraded where once you put enough of a load on it it will fail to put out enough juice for X number of cameras

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Rusty Ross ,
BTW, is there some misunderstanding of terms or names?

IIRC, the LR1002's you mentioned in your first post are considered "EoC" which stands for "Ethernet over Coax", and can run up to 3,000 ft. on RG-59/RG-6 coaxial cable.

"ePOE" stands for "Enhanced Power Over Ethernet", is Dahua's patented tech and is good for up to 2,464 ft. on CAT-5e, 6, etc. Ethernet cable. :cool:

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Rusty Ross ,

IIRC, the LR1002's you mentioned in your first post are considered "EoC" which stands for "Ethernet over Coax", and can run up to 3,000 ft. on RG-59/RG-6 coaxial cable.

"ePOE" stands for "Enhanced Power Over Ethernet", is Dahua's patented tech and is good for up to 2,464 ft. on CAT-5e, 6, etc. Ethernet cable. :cool:
To be fair, Dahua's marketing plays a part in blurring those lines.

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Rusty Ross ,

sorry I guess I got caught up with the lingo. I saw a post about keeping my rg59 cable and using ip cameras via epoe. I then bought a NVR and those LR1002’s for each run. Did I buy something I don’t need?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sorry I guess I got caught up with the lingo. I saw a post about keeping my rg59 cable and using ip cameras via epoe. I then bought a NVR and those LR1002’s for each run. Did I buy something I don’t need?
No, I'd say that's what they're for....running POE IP cams over existing coax.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

You bought the right thing. As I said ePoE isnt needed for your situation.

Your problem continues to be whether the internal PoE switch or power supply on the NVR you bought from eBay is good or not.

You need to isolate where your problem is;
  • NVR PoE ports dead or not putting out juice
  • Power supply failing
  • Actual rg59 on a certain run(s) no good

Connect one camera at a time to port 1. Then after it is shown as good and you can connect to it, go to #2 and so on.
When you get to one that doesnt work, STOP.
Try another port.
If still not connecting, try it in one of the previous known good ports by disconnecting one already connected and plugging that camera into the known good port
If its certain ports it should become obvious. If its a wire, then it should be a problem on all ports its plugged into

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried resetting the camera in port 3 and doesn’t do anything. I can see in the Poe screen it has its current wattage consumption though.

Attachments

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The data sheets / manuals do specify a maximum resistance a line can have, something like 10 ohms. The cable terminations are always likely candidates.
my cable and connectors are 75 ohm

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
What happened to 1 then 2 ??? No idea where you are in the process

Does it show ion the camera registration page?

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What happened to 1 then 2 ??? No idea where you are in the process

Does it show ion the camera registration page?
sorry I was testing the first adaptive camera which is port 3. Port 1 is my LPR camera which I ended up running cat6 and connects just fine. Camera 2 I can’t reach so right now is on pause

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok for another test could I plug in the 12v connector I have at the cameras location? I still have those ran when I used the analog cameras.

would the Poe know that it only needs the signal and not the power? Would I mess something up trying that external power?

edit: I took the camera back down and to the NVR using a factory supplied cable and it plays just fine. Put the one that is through the attic and just shows cannot connect host. That cable worked this morning no problem, which is what is messing with my head!