ePOE reliability

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Working with a N52B3P NVR I picked up used on ebay. I am in the process of installing my cameras that I purchased from Andy and keep running into issues with the connection. I have LR1002's on each of the coax and I have successfully installed two cameras; however I restarted the NVR and now one of the two cameras wont come up. Just says "failed to find network host..." It was connected not a few hours ago :smash:

I am not wanting to run new wire hence the reason to buying the epoe stuff but this is starting to piss me off. What should I try??

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am wondering if it is an NVR issue.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
If there is one weak spot in Dahua NVRs its their PoE switch. I've lost a couple over the years. Fortunately you can still use an external PoE switch so the NVR isnt a paperweight

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If there is one weak spot in Dahua NVRs its their PoE switch. I've lost a couple over the years. Fortunately you can still use an external PoE switch so the NVR isnt a paperweight
how would one do that with the ePOE? Sorry I’m still new to all this and getting frustrated. Just get a Poe switch and piggy it to the NVR?

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would something like this work??

Amcrest 9-Port POE+ Power Over Ethernet POE Switch with Metal Housing, 8-Ports POE+ 802.3at 96w (AMPS9E8P-AT-96)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is always a crap shoot buying on ebay - maybe one of the ports went out or was going out.

Is ePOE like other items with an NVR - if you use it, it is only good for X many channels and power budget is reduced or something?

What is your longest run - is ePOE necessary?

Did you plug all the cameras in at the same time or did you do one at a time and let the camera find it and initialize? If not, you could be having IP conflicts and would explain what happened when you rebooted.

This is the go to thread on setting up an NVR correctly:

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is always a crap shoot buying on ebay - maybe one of the ports went out or was going out.

Is ePOE like other items with an NVR - if you use it, it is only good for X many channels and power budget is reduced or something?

What is your longest run - is ePOE necessary?

Did you plug all the cameras in at the same time or did you do one at a time and let the camera find it and initialize? If not, you could be having IP conflicts and would explain what happened when you rebooted.

This is the go to thread on setting up an NVR correctly:

when I tested it I plugged each camera on port 1 and let it initialize. Could be my issue as they are now on each of their own ports. My longest run is about 75 feet I would say so not ePOE I don’t think. I’m not sure where to start or start over. Guess I need to read more

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep that is your problem - sometimes they will assign to the port it was first plugged into.

We see this all the time where someone bench tested their system of cameras and then installs it and don't connect the cameras into the same port and then some or all of the cameras are not showing.

You don't need ePOE for 75 feet.

I would suggest a factory reset of each camera and the NVR and start over following the PSA.

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep that is your problem - sometimes they will assign to the port it was first plugged into.

We see this all the time where someone bench tested their system of cameras and then installs it and don't connect the cameras into the same port and then some or all of the cameras are not showing.

You don't need ePOE for 75 feet.

I would suggest a factory reset of each camera and the NVR and start over following the PSA.
how do I reset them? Three are physically mounted

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Or it could be the switch or the power supply. Agree with above, start over, plug each one it, one at a time, hard reset using the onboard button in the trp door where the SD card is, allow the NVR to recognize it then login using the IE button, answer NO to two questions, assign and you should be fine

An external switch should take care of it I would think if the PoE switch is dying