ePOE reliability

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok so after many trials and error @bigredfish and I came to the conclusions that my current wire will not work. Unfortunately I am going to have to pull new wire and hope for the best. I have one half of a run so far but have a question for you guys.

The box of cat6 I’m using is in the attic with the wire going out to the camera. I still have to pull it into the closet where the NVR resides. What’s the best method of pulling enough wire without much waste? I assume I should have pulled the closet first but that didn’t happen. I’m guessing pull a rope or something to get a rough measurement then take that much out of the box? What’s the best advice here.

edit: also is there a particular brand of cat6 that’s better than others? I have southwire plenum right now, but may be short by the end of the job

Attachments

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok so after many trials and error @bigredfish and I came to the conclusions that my current wire will not work. Unfortunately I am going to have to pull new wire and hope for the best. I have one half of a run so far but have a question for you guys.

The box of cat6 I’m using is in the attic with the wire going out to the camera. I still have to pull it into the closet where the NVR resides. What’s the best method of pulling enough wire without much waste? I assume I should have pulled the closet first but that didn’t happen. I’m guessing pull a rope or something to get a rough measurement then take that much out of the box? What’s the best advice here.

edit: also is there a particular brand of cat6 that’s better than others? I have southwire plenum right now, but may be short by the end of the job

just make sure the cable is pure copper.... no CCA

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry you have to go through that.

We verified NVR power supply good, PoE ports good, NVR can recognize cameras on good known short cable, but cant get anything working over the old RG59.

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry you have to go through that.

We verified NVR power supply good, PoE ports good, NVR can recognize cameras on good known short cable, but cant get anything working over the old RG59.
thank you for taking the time out of your day and trying to help me! Not anyone’s fault except the cable I guess didn’t want to cooperate

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's already been said to use solid copper, no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum).

CMP (Plenum) is OK in the attic but less expensive CMR (Riser) is OK for use in attic, walls, crawl spaces and between floors.

IOW, P can go where R is OK but the reverse is not true (no R where P is needed).

Either do the rope thing and cut the right length (plus extra) and pull in uncoiled and straight BUT it's best IMO to have someone pay the cable off the reel or out of the box to prevent kinks and twists that can damage the cable and cause issues. This latter method also keeps you from having guess and to pull off more than you really need and waste cable ($$$).

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's already been said to use solid copper, no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum).

CMP (Plenum) is OK in the attic but less expensive CMR (Riser) is OK for use in attic, walls, crawl spaces and between floors.

IOW, P can go where R is OK but the reverse is not true (no R where P is needed).

Either do the rope thing and cut the right length (plus extra) and pull in uncoiled and straight BUT it's best IMO to have someone pay the cable off the reel or out of the box to prevent kinks and twists that can damage the cable and cause issues. This latter method also keeps you from having guess and to pull off more than you really need and waste cable ($$$).
I bought a box of vertical cable cat6 plenum reasonably cheap on eBay.

Thank you all for the help and support!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder if your siamese cabling was actually smaller and couldn't support the POE.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh nevermind that is 59.

I was thinking this was an analog from some prior all-in-one box kit and they used smaller cabling.

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh nevermind that is 59.

I was thinking this was an analog from some prior all-in-one box kit and they used smaller cabling.
Originally it was but I upgraded the cable when I installed them. Lesson learned I guess but now I get to try and pull new cable before the summer heat hits!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Originally it was but I upgraded the cable when I installed them. Lesson learned I guess but now I get to try and pull new cable before the summer heat hits!
The other thing you could try is re-doing the connector at the end of the cable.

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok small update. I pulled 2 more cables tonight making it 3-3 for the cat6 swap. Have 3 more to go with one being super easy, and 2 harder ones.

one question for you guys. Pulling the harder ones, do I pull from the outside into the closet, or from the closet to the outside? Does it matter? I’m hoping and praying for a good pull as I don’t want to physically run the last 2 runs.

Would you pull the wire or a fish cable then the wire back?

sorry multiple questions but want to be sure I have everything covered for a good pull

Attachments

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Major update for anyone still reading and may care. I was able to finish the pulls tonight basically solo as my wife had errands to run and couldn’t help. I’m thankful for the help and the push to get these done! Not finished but the hard part is done and just have to finish the ends.

Attachments