error when adding a new network camera to poe nvr

HQV

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I use IPtv system which consist of one IPtv network Hikvision camera connected to 4 poe ports Hikvision nvr
Existing camera Is on nvr poe port 1 (D1) and Is working OK with status In green - It Is connected using plug and play method and IP Is 192.168.254.2
Hikvision nvr has 192.168.0.160 local address

I am trying to add a second Hikvision Ip cam to d2 poe port
I am using poe connection

the Hikvision camera I want to add was activated prior to be plugged Into poe port 2 of nvr

camera Ip address was changed from default one (192.168.1.64) to 192.168.0.60, also camera password Is changed to use same pass as admin pass of nvr

In NVR pool In online devices ready to be added I see new camera (192.168.0.60) Is with OK online (green ) status - It Is with correct model and firmware version

when I try to add camera using plug and play method the cam moves upstairs to D2 , try to detect, then get user or password Is wrong error, and status Is In red

when I try to add camera using manual method I get network error

please advise what Is wrong and how can I add successful second camera

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
camera Ip address was changed from default one (192.168.1.64) to 192.168.0.60, also camera password Is changed to use same pass as admin pass of nvr
Depending on the (unspecified) NVR, current firmware has the option to specify a different admin password from the NVR admin password to activate a camera.
Are you sure this has not been done? Check the NVR web GUI under System | Security | Default IP Camera Password Management tab.

There are several ways to add the camera.

The simplest method, which will lose any camera configuration settings that have been changed from the default, is to access the camera web GUI, and under the Maintenance menu, reset the camera to default settings so that it becomes 'Inactive'.
Then, assuming channel D2 is set to Plug&Play mode in the NVR, connect the camera to channel D2, and wait about 3 minutes for the NVR to 'Activate' the camera and establish a video connection.

If you want to preserve the configuration settings of the camera, you need to manually change the camera IP address to be the same as the IP address expected by channel D2. This will be something like 192.168.254.3
If the camera admin password is the same as the admin password configured in the NVR for 'activating' a camera, the camera should connect when connected to channel D2 when in Plug&Play mode,

The camera can also be added when channel D2 in in Manual mode, by setting the camera IP address to match that configured for the channel, and specifying the camera admin password and Hikvision as the connection protocol.

Reactions: HQV

HQV

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you for reply

NVR Is Hikvision DS-7104NI-Q1/4P , don't know which Is firmware version, but for sure It Is prior feb 22
I am not sure I understand when you advise to check NVR Default IP Camera Password Management tab (because admin password for camera Is same admin password for NVR)

thank you for providing 2 ways to add new camera

plan A - manually changing camera IP address from already configured 192.168.0.60 to 192.168.254.3 Is elegant way - can this be done directly from NVR IP camera management menu - online device list, or I have to do this using GUI connecting laptop
In this case, would you please explain why Is wrong adding POE network camera with local IP address 192.168.0.60 and Gateway 192.168.0.1 to a poe NVR with local IP address 192.168.0.160 , but using POE network with 192.168.254

thank you for providing plan B - resetting camera settings to default and Inactive state Is very good , but are we sure that default IP address for new and now Inactive camera will not be same as working camera In D1

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
can this be done directly from NVR IP camera management menu - online device list,
No - that's not the camera IP address, it's the address the NVR channel expects to find the camera at.

but are we sure that default IP address for new and now Inactive camera will not be same as working camera In D1
Yes, the default IP address when Inactive will be either 192.0.0.64 or 192.168.1.64 depending on the camera and its firmware version.
This is not the same as the 192.168.254.2 address of the camera in D1.

I am not sure I understand when you advise to check NVR Default IP Camera Password Management tab (because admin password for camera Is same admin password for NVR)
If I remember correctly - the option for a camera password specifically to be used on Activation was available via the VGA/HDMI interface a few firmware versions before it was added to the NVR web GUI interface.

HQV

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate very much your support

I like to note that In NVR POE Binding when It Is applied D2 tab option
camera goes automatically to connected online devices as D2 but It gave user of password error - How this can be explained

do I need to specify same admin password as nvr admin pass when changing manually IP camera to 192.168.254.3

can I connect PC directly In poe port of NVR In order to connect to camera to do IP address correction to 192.168.254.3 (or to do reset to default factory setting)
If camera Is plugged In poe port of NVR (to get power from poe) can I connect to camera from local network switch

I ask because It Is much easy to power camera with NVR Instead of unplug from NVR to connect to PC and power with external power supply

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can connect the PC to an unused NVR PoE port to access a camera connected to another NVR PoE port.

HQV

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you
I guess I do have to disable tab of the selected channel / port where PC will be connected from PoE Binding menu

HQV

n3wb
Reaction score
Would you please confirm or deny

When using plug and play add of network PoE camera method to PoE port, nvr does connect to camera using password
already set In Camera Activation Password which Is done In Initial nvr Activation together with admin password setting
but If camera admin password Is different than the Camera Activation Password - we can have user / password Issue

there Is Use the Device Password tab whch If selected omit typed pass In the Camera Activation Password field and Instead does use admin password that camera have ?

When we use manual addind of network PoE camera to PoE nvr port, we can use manually set camera admin password different than the setting In nvr Camera Activation Password
We have to use manually set of IP camera addresses In 192.168.254 range
If IP address of camera Is In other network segment (like 192.168.0.60) there will be network Issue

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
When we use manual addind of network PoE camera to PoE nvr port, we can use manually set camera admin password different than the setting In nvr Camera Activation Password
Yes, in manual mode you can use any password, provided the channel password is the same as the actual camera password.

We have to use manually set of IP camera addresses In 192.168.254 range
If IP address of camera Is In other network segment (like 192.168.0.60) there will be network Issue
Yes. The camera IP address must match what has been set in the channel so it matches what e channel is configured to expect.

HQV

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you for reply
would you please clarify where does It come from password when we do PoE plug and play adding of network camera - already activated camera, and not activated camera

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
would you please clarify where does It come from password when we do PoE plug and play adding of network camera - already activated camera, and not activated camera
With the camera management channels in Plug&Play mode, the example below shows where the password used for activating a camera comes from :
In older firmware that does not have this separate camera password configuration, the NVR admin password is used.

CameraPassword.jpg

HQV

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you

looks that modifying of camera activation password can be done also from NVR Advanced settings In Camera Configuration
password for already connected network cameras can be modified also

Attachments