Escape room ip camera / Good audio - nightvision

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you do decide the audio quality isn't acceptable, you can always sell it here and recoup a fair chunk of what you spent. That is, if the $$ is worth more to you than the time to repack and mail it off.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure what the primary purpose of the audio is, simply for whoever's watching or if it gets turned in to a keepsake video. If it's for video production use, there's nothing stopping you from installing and recording with some much higher quality microphones that leave whatever cameras you're using entirely out of the picture.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The starlights in those videos dont have mic inputs....all audio is from build in mics...they are very good...
@nayr's dahua shootout video was between "Dahua 4MP 1/3" HFW4421D-AS @ 6mm vs Dahua 2MP 1/2.8" Starlight HDW5231R-Z @ 6mm"
the 4MP HFW is a bullet with audio in, no built in mic. 2/3 cameras in the above vids are built in mics, there's a noticeable difference in the audio quality of the external mic.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@nayr's dahua shootout video was between "Dahua 4MP 1/3" HFW4421D-AS @ 6mm vs Dahua 2MP 1/2.8" Starlight HDW5231R-Z @ 6mm"
the 4MP HFW is a bullet with audio in, no built in mic. 2/3 cameras in the above vids are built in mics, there's a noticeable difference in the audio quality of the external mic.
I am specifically referencing the starlights as indicated, since that is what was recommended....yes a mic will be better, but the starlights have very good audio...

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All right I think that the first video on Youtube is a result of noise filtering + bad encoding.
I just bought one from "Andy", i saw a lot of posts mentioning him. I selected the PAL version, there was no more NTSC version but looking at difference posts on the forum there doesn't seem to be a big difference between NTSC / PAL, right? Thank you all again!

Last edited:

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All right I think that the first video on Youtube is a result of noise filtering + bad encoding.
I just bought one from "Andy", i saw a lot of posts mentioning him. I selected the PAL version, there was no more NTSC version but looking at difference posts on the forum there doesn't seem to be a big difference between NTSC / PAL, right? Thank you all again!
Correct, no real difference. Hardware is the same, you can flash NTSC or PAL firmware, but it doesn't really matter one way or the other.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have found the sound from my 4- HDW5231R-Z Starlight & 1-Dahua HDW5231R-ZE to be very good.
They sound great when the audio is used with a decent computer speaker and sub combo.
The 5231ZE's mic isn't quite as good as it's brother.
Just be sure to turn off the stupid noise filter as bp discovered.

Keep in mind that the acoustics of the room will have a great affect on how well it picks up voices.

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you looney, I'll be sure to take the noise filter off. Maybe that's why the sound sucks so much on the russian video.