External alarm I/O module

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a network connected, external alarm I/O module? I cheaped out when purchasing my NVR and got it without alarm I/Os.
Is there a way to add on module or something to an existing NVR? Well, I'm sure there is but does anyone know or have used any?
I found this... AXIS P8221 Network I/O Audio Module

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What action do you want an alarm event to trigger?
If it's a NVR recording action, a Hikvision NVR can use an alarm input wired to a camera with that facility, to trigger any of the Linkage Methods.
'Alarm Input' tab under Basic Event.

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Currently I only have one camera with I/O. I want to put some PIR sensors in to trigger events/recording. I also want an alarm output for the NVR that I can trigger to an alarm or some other output device.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently I only have one camera with I/O. I want to put some PIR sensors in to trigger events/recording.
OK, so you want to be able to separate the actions for each event, as opposed to combining them.
I also want an alarm output for the NVR that I can trigger to an alarm or some other output device.
If this just a single output - events from any source, such as motion etc on any channel, could have Linkage configured to trigger an alarm action on the camera that has the alarm output.

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had to think about it for a few minutes but I suppose it could work. I would just use the I/O from one camera and then use different linkage methods/trigger channels. I would like to have a few more inputs so I could trigger separate events. I should have just gotten an NVR with them built in.
Looking around in the advanced network settings>other, there is a spot for alarm host IP and port...is there a way/device to use as a remote I/O?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use Exacq as my NVR software and they make a USB connected IO module, but I assume it will only work with Exacq unfortunately. Has 8 inputs, 8 ttl outputs and one relay and just plugs in via USB. Surely there are other devices like this out there? I've not seen one but surely something else like this exists. If not someone needs to make BI drivers for this module as they work great and are not expensive at about $100 and I have about 100 of them in use.

Exacq Technologies | IP Video Surveillance Solutions for Windows, Mac, Linux, iPhone, mobile

Only other way I have ever added inputs personally other than ones built in one cameras is on analog to IP adapters, like the hikvision DS-6704 which has some IO built in.

http://www.hikvision.com/us/Products_1_10659_i8736.html

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what NVR do you have? If it has a documented API you can usually accomplish this via http requests from a automation logic engine.

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a LTS (hik) 8716-p16.

That sounds pretty complicated nayr. At this point, i'll probably stick with my NVR and wait until a friend or someone wants a system and sell mine used to get a new NVR with I/Os. I really don't "need" the I/Os but its one more thing I can play with and integrate into my house.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I see the latest post is slightly old; I have the same want to add alarm IO to an NVR which doesn't have it built in (nor do the cameras).

I've seen this video by DVS(ltd) about using an Optex PIE alarm IO module connected to a Hikvision NVR. I'm also wanting to know about how to incorporate the device to trigger events (such as PTZ preset).
I did a search online for "POE alarm IO" and many results came up for this kind of device, juts how to incorporate them into Hikvision system.
This device (WISE-4060/LAN-AE) Is far cheaper than me purposely spending an extra $600 getting an NVR with too many channels than I need just to have alarm IO.