Failed Motion Detection - Car broken into...

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well it happened to us night before last. I have 5 2332's on the network, recording with motion to BI. It appears between 2:51am and 3:11am, forwhateverreason the cameras didn't detect motion, and bingo bammo, someone broke into my across the street neighbors car and ransacked it.

I live in a narrow street only about 15 feet wide, so I have no idea why the motion didn't detect either from the camera itself sending me an email .JPG capture, nor BI motion picking it off..

I guess this is what I get for only recording on motion versus 24x7? I feel like an A$$ cuz now I can't help my neighbor with any sort of footage to turn over to law enforcement.

:mad-new:

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
all cameras were up and operational, otherwise I would have had watchdog alerts. This is the case of night vision motion didn't go.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
all cameras were up and operational, otherwise I would have had watchdog alerts. This is the case of night vision motion didn't go.
Do you have object detect reject unchecked? What is your make time?

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Here are the motion settings for both driveway cameras.. I have them set 20 feet apart and "cross beaming" eachother on the driveway so I can view both sides of my cars.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tested to see if it triggers in the day? Your minimum size and contrast may be too high to capture across the street action.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yup, it triggers just fine during the day... literally if a lizard runs across the driveway it will go off. After this happening, I'm now tempted to just buy a big hard drive and record 24x7 and abandon the idea of motion detection all together. It's funny, but I've never felt unsafe up here (we live up in the hills) until now. This is the first time anything bad has ever happened up here on my street and I'm sorta rattled over it. Especially since I just added the 5th camera to cross beam our driveway less than 8 hours before the incident happened! It's just disturbing you know what I mean?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear you...but did you test the motion detection at the location where the incident happened? Test it at night...its likely that it simply was not set sensitive enough.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to make adjustments to sensivity for day vs night? Can you offer any suggestions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to make adjustments to sensivity for day vs night? Can you offer any suggestions?
You can set another more sensitive profile and have it switch to that profile after sunset...before you do that, first simply test the sensitivity at the location of the incident..your day settings may not be sensitive enough either..

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Another thought - create a "group" for those two front cameras, and when one camera is triggered it will record from both (check the trigger camera group box)

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not good. That is why I have Sighthound set up so that it records everything 24x7 for 72 hours, and the rest is motion only. That way, I never run the risk of motion detection missing something. Perhaps BI can do the same?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I record 24/7/365, motion detection is for chumps... with x264 video and 4TB+ drives cheap I see no reason to record only when the camera thinks something is there.

it was useful back when we were saving MPEG2 video to 250GB HDD's, but those times have long since passed.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those cameras are 20 feet away from eachother and are crossed over on their exposures, so if one detects motion, the other is just seeing the opposite side of that person.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Those cameras are 20 feet away from eachother and are crossed over on their exposures, so if one detects motion, the other is just seeing the opposite side of that person.
lol, until he turns around and runs the other way

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've missed lots of things because of motion detect. It's 24 7 record now unless client refuses to do it. All of my nvrs save for a solid week or more

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just ordered 3 x 4TB seagate surveillance drives... will record 24x7 on an NVR and keep BI for motion and JPG shots.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just ordered 3 x 4TB seagate surveillance drives... will record 24x7 on an NVR and keep BI for motion and JPG shots.
you can have BI record both motion and 24/7 events, or even simply record 24/7 and have the motion events marked...