Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is better!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Feral Kitten Gets Mauled
Warning: this ain't pretty. Youngsters and those with love of animals should not view this vicious attack on one of Midnight's kittens.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not going to watch it..but what attacked the kitten and what did you do about it? Is there e kitten dead?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dwight Gets Trapped
Poor Dwight is the first of the Colony to get TNR'ed (Trap Neuter Release). As soon as he was captured this morning I removed the trap so that the other colony members might not learn the perils of "the food in the tunnel." We used this remote control triggering do-hickey which -- along with the Dahua PC-HDW5231R-Z IP camera -- worked like a charm. Dwight was the cat we wanted to trap first, so it all is going according to the master plan. However, Dwight's vet neuter appointment isn't until 9AM tomorrow, so the little rascal is in for a long and hard 24-hours. But if all goes according to plan his life (along with the lives of the other colony members) will be better. So cross your fingers and say a prayer for 'ol Dwight.

TNR.jpg

Dwight.jpg

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder if sighthound could differentiate between a can and a raccoon.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like the cam \ remote trigger option vs the usual trap doors so you don't have to wake up to a skunk in the trap the next day. My local shelter recommended throwing a blanket over the cage with only the entrance open...They said it keeps the cats calmer since they don't ever have to see you coming up on them less chance of them freaking out inside the cage and hurting themselves....who knows. I caught one that way several years ago...He ended up sleeping on our bed too somehow.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Jeez...can you imagine finding a skunk in your trap? I'd be saying to myself...." ya shoulda spent that extra time and $$$ rigging up a remote control trap release....or a least hooked up a low-tech 25 foot piece of rope to the latch!"

My VERY near sighted wife would be walking up to the trap saying..."nice kitty, take it easy, kitty...TONY! You caught a black cat with a white stripe down it's back!.....OH........MY..........GAWD !!!!!!!!" :facepalm:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's been 6 weeks since I last posted about our effort to trap, neuter, and release all of the cats in our feral cat colony and I can report that this task has been completed. Dwight, Midnight, Uno, Dossie, TreyTrey, Tiger Girl, Odie, Fluff and Bee have all been trapped and fixed...and each cat seems to be gaining weight and -- perhaps -- a tad healthier. All appears to have ended well. In fact, our patio has become somewhat of a feral cat resort & spa...

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's amazing! So, how "feral" are these cats? Like can't get near them, shred you to get away if you trapped them in a corner feral? Or can you interact \ pet any of them?
They look pretty happy and laid back on your lounge chair.
Does your area have a cheap fix, shots and return vet or do you have to pay a bundle?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
There seem to be different levels of feral, don't there?

Our house has been something of a feral cat sanctuary for many years. The joke here is that we'll just keep them long enough "to nurse them back to health". Hah!

Excellent thread!

I've been wanting to build a chip-reader cat door, but even at $200, that already built unit looks good.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's amazing! So, how "feral" are these cats? Like can't get near them, shred you to get away if you trapped them in a corner feral? Or can you interact \ pet any of them?
It depends on the cat.. Can't get anywhere near several of them, but other will let you touch them.
Does your area have a cheap fix, shots and return vet or do you have to pay a bundle?
The radio-controlled trapping system cost around $350.00. It cost approximately $50.00 per cat for a lost-cost spay-neuter clinic to spay/neuter + rabies shot + ear tip each cat. So the entire colony of nine (9) cats cost approximately $800.00 to stop the cycle of kitten production madness.