finding my perfect setup for under $1000

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
One more question before I try and order a fee of these. My internet is not the fastest in the world (uverse) what is the minimum speed in order to be able to stream my video?
what is you upload speed?

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My upload speed is 1.57 Mbps according to M-Lab.
Does Andy have any discounts currently to put 4 of these cameras within my budget? I still have to build a media PC and buy cable and anything else I may need for the setup.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My upload speed is 1.57 Mbps according to M-Lab.
Does Andy have any discounts currently to put 4 of these cameras within my budget? I still have to build a media PC and buy cable and anything else I may need for the setup.
The price of the cameras is the price of the cameras, they dont change based on a random budget. As explained, it is within you budget even with a pc. You dont need to build anything. Building is for suckers. You can buy an hp 8300 i5-3570 for 100 bux that will run your load with zero issues

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A media pc is part of my budget though. I dont have to use it to run the cameras but I have to get it for our home entertainment center. I was hoping there would be some type of discount around the holidays.. I can always get 2 or 3 and just fill in with a few cheap cameras correct?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A media pc is part of my budget though. I dont have to use it to run the cameras but I have to get it for our home entertainment center. I was hoping there would be some type of discount around the holidays.. I can always get 2 or 3 and just fill in with a few cheap cameras correct?
You want to run BI on a dedicated machine not the same machine you are running all sorts of other crap on.
100-170 per camera is cheap. Dont buy crap cameras to save a few dollars.

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, so I should be able to get 2 of the cameras , the hp 8300, BI, and the cable to wire everything and that should at least get me started.

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was reading up a bit on BI and it sounds really complicated to set up if you are not an IT guy. are there any alternatives with similar features or is BI the best?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was reading up a bit on BI and it sounds really complicated to set up if you are not an IT guy. are there any alternatives with similar features or is BI the best?
Its not any more complicated than an NVR. In the last post you were going to "build a media pc". If you can build a pc, you can setup blue iris.
BI is the best value. Otherwise buy yourself an NVR, then when you toss it in the trash, go to blue iris.

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am very mechanically inclined but when it comes to IT related things im pretty lost. While reading about BI, they started talking about servers, dual LAN, DNS, etc. Then it got even more complicated when I looked into remote viewing. Im going to give it a shot though!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go read the wiki notes on choosing hard ware.

Buy an Intel i5 or i7 fourth gneration cpu, PC from eBay. Upgraded with a 120 gb SSD and a 4tb Western digital purple drive.

You will have e the look and reaserch and wait to find a good PC on eBay.

Please read the other posts on cpu advice. Search is your friend.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am very mechanically inclined but when it comes to IT related things im pretty lost. While reading about BI, they started talking about servers, dual LAN, DNS, etc. Then it got even more complicated when I looked into remote viewing. Im going to give it a shot though!
You don't need dual lan. A server is just a PC running blue iris nothing more. Secure remote viewing requires the same amount of work as an NVR.

Reaction score
Don't try to convince yourself you can't do it. Ken (the developer) has made Blue Iris incredibly easy to use. If you understand an IP address (TCP/IP) on your local network (LAN) behind your router/modem, you can do this. You may have a slight learning curve as you setup your very first camera, but setting up the others goes MUCH faster. Seriously, it's not difficult.