fine tuning assistance with IPC-HFW5231E-Z12

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My cam is getting great vid of license plates on 90% of vehicles that pass at night. Some cars have very bright brake lights that make the license plate vid/pic hard to read. My night profile has "Backlight" set to OFF. Gain is set to default which is 50. Any suggestions as to how I can fix this is appreciated. One pic of a "bright" license plate is attached.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My cam is getting great vid of license plates on 90% of vehicles that pass at night. Some cars have very bright brake lights that make the license plate vid/pic hard to read. My night profile has "Backlight" set to OFF. Gain is set to default which is 50. Any suggestions as to how I can fix this is appreciated. One pic of a "bright" license plate is attached.
see the lpr section of this forum...check exposure settings..

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I have just got it a few days ago and I'm playing with the settings. I'm trying Kevin's settings, but they don't seem to work right. Image is pitch black, lights ar OK, not blinding, but I just can't decipher the plates. To grainy.

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I have measured in Google Maps. 31Ft to the street and 192ft, to the spot where I have zoomed in the camera.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
This camera, should have visible IR light(s)?
No matter what I do with it, I can't see any light at the front of the camera. I have even tried a phone camera, to detect IR light and still nothing.
I have done both resets, just to be sure. Everything is on auto, on default. I know, if I chose color mode, IR won't work, but that is not the case.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
IMHO you dont have near enough lens to read plates reliably at 192' with a 5231. Im using a 60mm lens at 120 ft

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do you mean, with a 60mm lens? This one, has up to 65mm.

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you know, where could I find a firmware for this camera? Dahua site, does note have one yet. I'm thinking of re-flashing a firmware, to see, if the IR will turn on or not.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know, where could I find a firmware for this camera? Dahua site, does note have one yet. I'm thinking of re-flashing a firmware, to see, if the IR will turn on or not.
firmware wont affect ir...how are you powering the camera?

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
POE+ switch and I have tried, with a 12V power brick as well, same result.

Last edited:

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I'm back in business.
IR connector, was unplugged.
I have just opened up(Andy allowed it) the camera and the wire harness with plug, just came out easily.
I guess, the connector wasn't plugged in all the way.
Since I took it apart, I took a couple of shots:

Attachments

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you tried Backlight=HLC at night? Also, please post a daytime image of a license plate. thanks

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What did you do with the IO port wires(5 small wires)? Do they need to be sealed so they won't short out on each other?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have already updated the firmware and I haven't seen any issues. I have purchased it from Andy.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You've got your gain set way too high. You shouldn't be able to see the car's bumper. Here's what my images look like with 1/1000 shutter and 12 gain:

Attachments

Last edited:

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have already updated the firmware and I haven't seen any issues. I have purchased it from Andy.
You've got your gain set way too high. You shouldn't be able to see the car's bumper. Here's what my images look like with 1/1000 shutter and 12 gain:
Nice image, please share your other camera setting too.