Firefox to kill all NPAPI Plugins: March 7th 2017

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just bumped into this issue on Firefox. Another PITA update feature breakage. I guess i will now move to IE. Joy. Thanks for the heads up @nayr

Mel!

n3wb
Reaction score
Uninstall Firefox 52.00 , install firefox 51.01, stop updating Firefox, and everything is okay.
Better off using the firefox ESR releases, which will still have security fixes for the time being.

Firefox Extended Support Release — Notes (52.0esr)

Firefox Extended Support Release — Notes (45.7.0)

The 45 version also still allows unsigned extensions with the correct config settings, but I believe is being killed off soon. I believe I read that 52esr is the last one that will support NPAPI plugins other than flash.

another temporary solution add to config "plugin.load_flash_only" = false see:- How To Re-Enable NPAPI Plugin Support (i.e. Java) in Firefox 52

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Correct, NVR's will cease to display video via plugins also..

IE (not edge) and Safari are the only 2 browsers still standing with NPAPI Plugin support.. RTSP is the long standing standard for video surveillance, however HTML5 has no support for this protocol and decent realtime video streaming has not achieved any level of agreement between the browsers or standards bodies.. thanks largely to patent encumbered video technologies.

Basically pluginless Video Surveillance in the Browser is still along ways away.. dont hold your breath for this functionality to appear soon.

Us in the IT world been dealing with this crap for a long time; we keep isolated VM's or machines around with antique web browsers to maintain the capabilities to interface with existing software thats never going to see a update to support modern browsers.. get used to it, this is what happens all the time w/embedded hardware, and its getting worse now that they are putting this shit into our cars and stuff, imagine how useful your CarPlay enabled car will be in 10 years when nothing talks to it anymore.
LOL another reason I don't care to buy a car with all sorts of fancy shit built in lol.