Firmware Update to Add Channels

acaudle-he

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I did do a serach before I posted but didn't find anything relevant, unless I just wasn't searching for the right terms.

Is it possible to flash the fimrware of a hikvision or variant 8ch nvr to a 16ch nvr? I haven't actually looked at the boards inside the NVR but I suspect they should be identical, minus the POE switch side of things.

For instance flashing an LTS LTN8608-P8 to LTN8716-P8.

I realize the complexity of the task and I'm familiar with the consequences etc. I just wanted to see if anyone has attempted something like this.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many times the firmware is the same, but it is hardware and hard-code limited.

But if you wanna try it for the good of the forum, go for it at your own risk lol.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible to flash the fimrware of a hikvision or variant 8ch nvr to a 16ch nvr?
The capabilities are coded into the bootpara data that's written into the flash during manufacturer - the firmware isn't different, it just adapts to the hardware it's executing in.

I haven't actually looked at the boards inside the NVR but I suspect they should be identical, minus the POE switch side of things.
The more channels and the higher processing bandwidth, the more RAM, clockspeed and CPU / DSP cores are in the hardware.