First time Amcrest setup, am I missing anything?

sevealin

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello! I am pretty new to purchasing IP cameras. I am looking for some assistance for a simple and reliable 3xPOE camera setup for outdoors. I've been doing a lot of research and found that Amcrest/Dahua are recommended a lot. Before I tell them to pull the trigger on the setup I have I wanted to see if I am making any dumb/noob mistakes. I am also open to any suggestions if there are better options.

3 x Amcrest IP8M-2696EW-AI - $140
  • 4k @ 30fps (with no AI - 20 with AI enabled)
  • 98 ft night vision
  • IP67 (they are going outside)

For an NVR I was looking at NV4108E-2TB, with the added convenience of the 2TB drive already installed. Is it silly to get a drive preinstalled?
- 2ch at 8MP Decoding capacity
This means the NVR can only stream to two devices at 8MP, correct? Recording would still work fine to other cameras?

As for the installation CAT5e directly from the camera to the NVR is the way to go, correct? The NVR includes POE for the cameras?

Thank you for reading my first post!

Reaction score
Those Amcrest cams are 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor with 2.8mm lenses. They will be very poor performers at night. Having 8MP shoved on such a small sensor will not allow much light to each pixel. Using 2.8mm lenses will give a nice wide angle view, but will not get you a useable face shot beyond 8-10 feet from the cam.

The current good night performing prosumer grade cams are the Dahua 5442 series and the Hik Darkfighters. I have Dahua cams and the 5442's are 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor. Having only 4MP on a bigger sensor allows more light to hit each pixel thus giving better night performance. They are available in 2.8, 3.6, and 6mm plus varifocal lenses.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
check the incoming bandwidth of the NVR. Calculate your incoming bandwidth for your cameras.
General recommendations , use a 1/1.8 CMOS sensor.
More Megapixels in not necessary better.
Buy the camera and the NVR from the same manufacture, You got that one correct.
Buy an NVR twice as big as you think you will need, bigger incoming bandwidth .
The max frame rate for surveillance video is 15 FPS, no need to go higher, you are not shooting a Hollywood movie
For three 8MP cameras at 30FPS, how long before you fill up the 2 TB disk ?
A 2.8 MM lens is a nice overview camera, but will not provide good face detection.

Cameras are for surveillance to get information for after the fact. Cameras are NOT a deterrent, they are not a security system.

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Doing it right the first time will save you money.
Test do not guess

Last edited: