lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Re: Huisun PTZ Deck Cam Pics and Vids

Might be a few cameras on that ship. :)

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Generally speaking, inbound to Oakland, Richmond or Sacramento ports usually nav between EssEff and Alcatraz, and outbound trends between Alcatraz and me/Angel Island.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Finally had the time to add BITools...thanks Mike!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Nice! Sorry for the delay, just noticed that you had posted that one for me. I went ahead an ordered one to test out and received a few days ago.

It's a nice addition to my collection, but unfortunately due to my surroundings and limitations within the unit, it's not going to be able to completely replace my current weather/nature cams...

1. Being surrounded by hills, I had to mount upside down in order for the tilt to actually reach the sky. Not a big setback, although having the pan/tilt controls working backwards takes a bit of getting used to (pan right button goes left; pan up goes down, etc.)

2. With the limited distance view, I need a wider viewing angle than the minimum 5.1mm focal length in order to get any scenery into the picture. Where your zoomed out can show a whole city skyline, this is the most coverage I can get fully zoomed out. The top of a tree and enough sky for one small puffy cloud.....
192.168.254.101_00_00_20160110113614546.jpg

On my wider angle lens Hikvisions, I can get a lot of sky, the trees from top to bottom and my bird baths and flower garden all in one image and makes the picture look a thousand times more scenic than only the top of a tree and one puffy cloud. Would work so much better if the minimum zoom on the lens went down to 3mm or 4mm...

3. The 1/25 slowest shutter speed makes my yard look completely black at night. The 1/3 shutter speed on the Hikvisions lets me see my flower garden in color at night with just a small solar light as well as being able to identify cloud types in the sky from just moon light and distant city lights.

Some of the speed domes may work better for me as the specs claim the lens zooms out to 4.3mm (closer to the 4mm hikvisions, which serve me well in terms of viewing angle) and a 1 second minimum shutter speed....Unfortunately, I've yet to be able to find any proof that these specs are accurate. Every example of the speed domes I've seen still limits the shutter at 1/25....The manufacturer has been absolutely zero help in helping me confirm the actual specs on the different model speed domes. I know of at least one speed dome model that lists a minimum shutter of 1 second, but screen shots from someone that purchased that specific model number confirmed it's only 1/25 second.

It's really a shame that Huisun has created these otherwise great cameras, yet do not have anyone that can provide honest specs for people that are interested in purchasing them for special needs. I would have purchased several speed domes (at over $400/piece) from them by now if someone at Huisun would take 5 minutes to plug up the cameras and take a screen shot of the available settings to prove that it can handle slow-shutter photography. I'm sure others have also had to skip on large orders for the lack of clarity in the specs.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Hey wxman...sorry the zoom/lens isn't meeting your needs. It fits my bill perfectly.. my ole 2.8mm Hik made everything seem so distant..reality is the city is shockingly much closer in real life, and even the Huisun makes it look further than it is.

Here is Hik 2.8:

And this fully zoomed out on PTZ:

Last edited by a moderator:

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Well, I guess I can't say that it completely "doesn't work" for me...If I want a closeup shot of a specific cloud during the day or a specific flower in the yard during the day, it'll get the job done and give a much better close up shot than using the "digital zoom" on the Hikvisions for closeups....It's just that I was hoping to be able to take down some of the Hikvisions and replace them with one PTZ....Instead it looks like I'll have to keep them up for night views and to get an overall look during the day, then if I see something interesting on them that I want a close-up of, I can flip over to the Huisun.

I've tried cranking up the gain, brightness and WDR on the Huisun at night and can get it to where I can slightly see a little bit with the IR off at night, but it's so much noise that it's hard to really make out what I'm looking at. The image reminds me of my DXing hobby back in the analog tv days (trying to grab tv station signals from 100 miles or more away at night) and the picture was so "snowy" that you couldn't even tell what tv show was on....But for that, you weren't really interested in watching the show that was on; the excitement was just for bragging rights about how far away you could tap into a signal. When it comes to a backyard nature cam though, the excitement is actually being able to watch what is going on...So noise on that image is frustrating. lol!

Just curious, what shutter speed do you run the Hikvision at night? Have you ever tried lowering it to 1/3 and cranking up the gain to 100 to see clouds at night? Giving how close you are to those city lights, I would imagine that you could get some good night cloud watching!

Here's some screen shots I just took with (1:40am eastern time, full darkness)....Cams are at different angles, so cropped them to be roughly the same area.

Hikvision at 1/3 shutter:
Night_Clouds.jpg

Huisun at 1/25 shutter:
192.168.254.101_00_00_20160112013714609.jpg

Will have to click on them to view full screen...but you'll see how little noise the Hikvision has (at least compared to the Huisun) and how you can easily identify the cloud type with Hikvision while Huisun only gives a faint white glow of the brightest clouds near the horizon. You can also clearly see where the trees are on Hikvision while it's much harder to identify them on Huisun. Can even see some blue in the sky on the Hikvision...and that's just with distant city lights....On a full moon night, it looks almost like daytime on the Hikvision.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Howdy wxman!

I removed the Hik for the Hui..as you can see, the view was both static and no where near 'true to life' (I know replicating the human eye perspective is unrealistic), at least the Hui gets into that territory, and the PTZ certainly alleviates the static view..I can chase things as I see fit, and there's just no going back from that. :) I will examine my settings and report back, but I determined early that less is more..if I want the image to look like what I see. I think rather than upside down, I would have gone with a wedged/shimmed mount, giving you just enough low coverage to see earth, but a vast above earth FOV. Hik obviously has better developed firmware, and it is a shame Hui is lacking, as the Sony cam itself is very pleasing..we need more code geeks tweaking the software! Cheers!

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
@wxman, I think Longse s500 that I have will be better for this type of job where motion at night doesn't matter. The shutter doesn't go below 1/25 in Manual mode, but it does in Auto mode.

@alphawave7 you will definitely benefit from Mini PTZ v2 to improve the landscape views. The new sensor shows less noise and more color

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@wxman, I think Longse s500 that I have will be better for this type of job where motion at night doesn't matter. The shutter doesn't go below 1/25 in Manual mode, but it does in Auto mode.
But those are not PTZ, right? For a static cam, even the 3mp Hikvisions work great for my needs with the 1/3 shutter speed. Only reason I'm wanting to upgrade is for PTZ function (or technically the zoom function in particular, as I could easily add a motorized pan/tilt device to the Hiks if zoom wasn't important)..

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i must say that i really like the image.
to be sure, this is this model correct ?

http://goo.gl/6UcMM1

Edit: i was looking at my phone when laying in bed.
Pictures looked so much better on that small screen, but there pretty good on the computer as well

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i must say that i really like the image.
to be sure, this is this model correct ?

http://goo.gl/6UcMM1

Edit: i was looking at my phone when laying in bed.
Pictures looked so much better on that small screen, but there pretty good on the computer as well
Correct... I have the version 1 of that cam. I'm pretty sure the pics posted here in the forum are further compressed. Cheers!

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well this looks good on the laptop as well, especially for this money.
Thanks for sharing, wish the Chinese sellers did this also on there pages , just a few simple pics and movies would save so much trouble and effort to speak decent and understandable English with them.
Glad this forum is here.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well this looks good on the laptop as well, especially for this money.
Thanks for sharing, wish the Chinese sellers did this also on there pages , just a few simple pics and movies would save so much trouble and effort to speak decent and understandable English with them.
Glad this forum is here.
Agreed! With the net as it is...it is surprising sellers and manufacturers don't capitalise on it!

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't think most of the Chinese sellers really care. They can offer prices so much better than other countries that they don't have to put any effort into the ad. Just copy/paste the specs from a competitors item (half of which are inaccurate for their own item) and put a low price on it and they'll still have more than enough buyers to keep them busy.

Heck, the way they butcher the specs with inaccurate copy/pastes, I wouldn't trust that pics/video clips in the ad actually came from the cam that they're selling anyway. Just last week we were looking at that speed dome that had a "live demo" link in the ad, which turned out to be a live demo of a completely different cam with different resolution and other specs.

Also, the way other sellers steal content, it really hurts any desire to put in the effort to create a good video clip. All would happen is another seller would steal your video, put it in their own ad and offer the item for $1 less. All that video creator's work just went to help their competitor sell more items.

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could be right, haven't fully thought about that.
Are you referring to the http://ipcctv8.oicp.net:9090/doc/page/login.asp?anonymous=true ?

i noticed that it indeed was a different camera as what i ask information about.
Also i said /asked nice can you just give me a video made with this camera, zoom in / zoom out, and the auto tracking that is working.
Then i got after a few messages this answer, and it literally shocked me, a Chinese seller that told me not to buy the camera ? haha

First i have seen in my life.
Dear friend:
Have a nice day.
i am sorry.
This camera is a simple tracking function.
I think camera can not meet your requirements.
Please don't send the order.
thank you very much
best regards

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Foreground cargo ship Sheila Ann, middle cruise ship is P&O Aurora, last ship is Crystal Serenity CL.