Focal Lenth Indicator?

Reaction score
I got my 4th camera as a turret with variable focal length so that I can determine what I might want for a few other places and decide if a fixed focal length would work, or a variable focal length. Is there anything that tells you what focal length the camera is currently set at? For instance, when I zoom, how do I know if I am at 6mm, or some other focal length (given same sensor size for comparable fixed focal length cameras). I'm using blue iris and also DMSS

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Whether you are using BI or SmartPSS is irrelevant - all zoom settings should be done within the camera GUI. Then you hover over the focus slider (set the speed to 1) and get that number and then do a ratio with what the max and min number is for the focus for that camera.

Unfortunately you will find there is no real comparison between the focal lengths of these cameras, not only across the same manufacturer, but others as well.

Heck even taking the 5442 6mm fixed lens and setting up the 5442-ZE to the equivalent 6mm and you will find the field of view is different for both. The 5442-ZE had to be set to a 9mm equivalent to get the same field of view as the 5442 6mm fixed lens.

You can see a member here (@samplenhold) demonstrated this:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay, thank you, now I understand. That's helpful.
I found that setting the varifocal to 4.5mm (440 on the slider) is very close to 3.6mm.