Foscam R2 video artifacting

Ankhman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there.

This is my first post on the forum, although it's been invaluable in the past in keeping my system running smoothly. I've been running BI for a little over a year. I have 5 Foscams (I know, I know). I have 2 of the newer 1080 R2 cameras. When viewed over a browser linking directly to the camera, I have no issues but through BI the both of my R2s have serious artifacting any time there's movement. This occurs both when simply viewing the camera in BI and in recordings. I know it's got to be a setting but I'm not sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated. I can/will post any additional information requested. I've uploaded a sample of the artifacting issue (the camera is set to 1080 but the sample was reduced to minimize file size) as well as the camera configuration (BI) and video settings (Foscam).

Thanks!
Jeff~

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there.

This is my first post on the forum, although it's been invaluable in the past in keeping my system running smoothly. I've been running BI for a little over a year. I have 5 Foscams (I know, I know). I have 2 of the newer 1080 R2 cameras. When viewed over a browser linking directly to the camera, I have no issues but through BI the both of my R2s have serious artifacting any time there's movement. This occurs both when simply viewing the camera in BI and in recordings. I know it's got to be a setting but I'm not sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated. I can/will post any additional information requested. I've uploaded a sample of the artifacting issue (the camera is set to 1080 but the sample was reduced to minimize file size) as well as the camera configuration (BI) and video settings (Foscam).

Thanks!
Jeff~
match the iframe interval to the fps in the camera
you dont have to block out local ip address or ports.

Ankhman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there. I appreciate the help and thanks for replying so quickly. Where would I find the iframe interval setting? Is that the Key Frame Interval on the camera?

local IP info.. hehe yeah, I know I'm paranoid. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there. I appreciate the help and thanks for replying so quickly. Where would I find the iframe interval setting? Is that the Key Frame Interval on the camera?

local IP info.. hehe yeah, I know I'm paranoid. :)
Yes the key frame... you do understand that local IP addresses are the same for millions of people and nobody can use them to access anyting...

Ankhman

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, I've reset the keyframe interval to match the camera frame rate in BI (15), rebooted the cameras, and I'm still getting the artifacting. I'm assuming it's pulling from the main stream and not the sub stream. Did I misunderstand what I needed to change or could it be something else?

Attachments

Ankhman

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried VBR and 2MB in the camera settings. Just to see I also tried lowering camera output to 720p, artifacting remained. The image looks perfect as long as nothing is moving. :p The slightest, slowest movement causes the artifacting. If there's any additional information I can provide for anyone to help me continue troubleshooting this issue I'd really appreciate it. And just to be clear this is happening on 2 different Foscam R2 cameras (one is an R2 and the other is an R2E), and the video looks fine in the native web based camera feed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried VBR and 2MB in the camera settings. Just to see I also tried lowering camera output to 720p, artifacting remained. The image looks perfect as long as nothing is moving. :p The slightest, slowest movement causes the artifacting. If there's any additional information I can provide for anyone to help me continue troubleshooting this issue I'd really appreciate it. And just to be clear this is happening on 2 different Foscam R2 cameras (one is an R2 and the other is an R2E), and the video looks fine in the native web based camera feed.
what exact version of blue iris? set the receive buffer to 20mb in blue iris

Ankhman

n3wb
Reaction score
Problem solved, thanks to another thread on this forum. Go figure. I promise I looked before I posted (but clearly didn't look deep enough).

Thanks to all those who tried to help, and to those who would have helped but didn't see the post before I found the fix. :)

Fix: Disable Hardware (HW) decode (set to 'no') in BI Video settings. Fixed the issue on both cameras in live feed and recordings.

Attachments