FPS/key Sometimes Drops

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a Dahua camera as an LPR. When I was scrolling frame by frame (scroll wheel) through recordings I realized that every 4-6s there would be a 0.8 - 1.2s jump from one frame to the next. As a result I missed license plates. I double checked my camera settings which are 15fps, every 15th frame is an i-frame, CBR, 8192kb/s. It's what I have for all other cameras as well. BI is configured as direct to disc. So I checked the Blue Iris Status -> Cameras. All cameras have FPS/key as 15.xx/1.00 where xx is some small variation around 15.00s. Only my camera for the license plates sometimes drops as low as 12/0.9 or some other number but quite a bit off the 15/1. What could cause this? dropped packets? Is there another way to confirm this without using wireshark (I have pretty much no experience with this program). Any other possible reasons? The camera is on the same PoE switch as all the other cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is normal to fluctuate a bit, but 15 to 12 is a bit much.

My LPR camera started doing that and it turned out being the POE switch going bad, so that is my leading thought is the switch or port is going bad or the switch is too close to POE capacity.

Either temporarily unplug everything else on the switch and see if that smooths it out. If not move the LPR to a different port. Or if you have a POE injector or another power source try that.