Gday from Australia

NVStrive

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
noob to the forum

im interested in running IP cams on NAS such as Synology surveillance as an alternative to using an NVR
Company i work for sells Hikvision/Axis/Bosch/Pelco so im looking to use these Cameras (maybe their NVR's depending on proving the NAS setup as a no deal)

ill search around, but im keen to hear anyones experience running cams on a NAS, is it as smooth a process as they advertise, what features do you miss, etc

At the same time, im in the process of flashing Hikvision firmware onto a SWANN NVR to access better features and far superior software/apps
so far, it hasnt worked, so roll back is in order before i proceed.

thats all folks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Also welcome to the forum.

im in the process of flashing Hikvision firmware onto a SWANN NVR
Is that one of the Hikvision OEM models that Swann sell?

I currently have a Swann NVR4-7082 on sale on eBay after I fixed it up (short circuit surge protector across the 48v power line) that I've looked unsuccessfully for any firmware for.
I know it's a discontinued model - but I'd hoped for some firmware that might extend its current zero support for anything other than a very specific model of Swann IP camera - but nothing. Such a closed system, unlike most others.
The odd thing is, there is lots of ONVIF code in the installed (GA 2.1) firmware that externally does nothing, so possibly just work in progress never finished.

NVStrive

n3wb
Reaction score
Is that one of the Hikvision OEM models that Swann sell?
Yes i believe so - i have the NVR8-7200 - managed a successful flash to the Hikvision firmware, but now it wants a new password, which it wont accept anything.
So successful, but failure at the same time :facepalm:
hoping to find some answers here. ill be trying the TFTP to roll back FW to Swann and try another meathod of upgrade
Really keen to get it working with the Hikvision FW, the Swann software and firmware is so far Behind, and their App is terrible
For another project :secret::rofl:im currently in "design" trying to figure out what the setup will be (Large NAS+Cams or NVR+smaller nas) should be fun