General exterior camera placement (I read the cliff notes!)

sippyCUP

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum! Looking for exterior camera location advice based on my house and yard. I will probably default to the 2mp Dahau camera for most positions unless you guys recommend anything else. Somebody on Reddit recommended a 5mp version for front and maybe back yards. I have read the forum's Cliff Notes but am obviously still learning. I've included many overhead plans and photos of the house below. I'm pretty handy with networking and will be able to figure out VLANing, POE, building a dedicated NVR PC, etc. I can run cat6 to my eaves pretty easily thru the attic but if I want to mount to the exterior wall, I will have to do my research. My eaves are at about 9' where the cameras would mount, which I know is a bit high.

Basically my desire is to identify a certain ex-girlfriend who I have learned was trepassing on my property recently for some unknown reason. My motivation for this would be to produce legal evidence of said trespass if it happens again. Bonus reason would be to deter other random property crime or again identify the criminals.

I've attached a couple overhead plans of my house (1500 sqft) and yard, sorry for the lame quality. It's a 1/4 acre yard that slopes slightly downhill from bottom to top (front to back yard slopes down). The covered deck is basically a vantage point looking over the left part of the road which comes up a hill. Once you get to the front yard, it's basically flat. Neighborhood is low-density urban (1940's neighborhood) with most yards in the 1/4 to 1/2 acre range. In the cleaner looking pic, the T's mean medium size trees (like about as tall as the house, 15'-20').

Edit: The soffits have a pretty nice exterior lighting system that turn on automagically around dusk. This could be of some use for nighttime surveillance.

Each photo has an overhead key in one of the corners to indicate where the photo was taken on the property.

As you can see in the photos, I have a very small covered front stoop for the main extrance. I'm interested in what you guys would recommend for that area (dome, "ringer style," light bulb style, or just stick with turret?).

The awning on the other front entrance could come off, but I prefer to leave it if possible. Also I can trim the trees some but would prefer not to chop them down again if possible.

The back covered deck is another interesting area. I feel like a camera pointing straight down the deck stairs might be smart to capture a face.

Cost is not critical but I don't want to burn money for no reason either.

Thanks very much in advance for any thoughts and advice!

tree placement.png

house plan v2.png The image is rotated 180 degrees here...
overhead gm house.png

front sidewalk.jpg
front doors.jpg kitchen front.jpg front left.jpg
left side.jpg back deck.jpg back addition.jpg back carport.jpg right side.jpg front of carport.jpg

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While you're waiting for some replies, play around some with IPVM Camera Calculator V3 ... type in your address, add some cameras to the Google Maps image of your property (I think you can add up to three), change the model numbers to cameras you're considering, then position them around the house and check out their simulated images.

If you want the best chance of ID'ing someone when the light is low (i.e. dusk to dawn), look at Dahua Starlight or Hikvision Dark Fighter models. 2MP Starlight models have been beyond popular here ... about the best low-light performance for the buck. Lots of review/owner threads in the Dahua forum here. Dahua recently came out with some 4MP Starlight+ models that might beat the 2MP Starlights, but they're so new that reviews haven't been posted yet. If it's not a Dahua Starlight or Hikvision Dark Fighter, you're not likely going to have a good low-light experience with it. And to be honest, as good as the Starlight/Dark Fighters are, it's more like "they suck the least in low light". It can still be a challenge with them to get blur-free motion video when the light is low, despite the fact that's what they're designed for. Non-Starlight/Dark Fighters will be way more of a struggle, IMO.

Also remember that when lights automatically turn on at night, if the camera is left in AUTO mode (where it flips between color and B/W based on the light levels... this usually the default setting), the light is likely to cause the camera to flip from B/W back to COLOR... takes a second or two for that to happen and the video quality while it's happening can be crap. So you may have to force your cameras to stay in B/W mode at night to avoid that. Even then, the camera will probably self-adjust, it usually isn't as abrupt. Lights coming on when it's dark can sometimes be more of a PITA for the camera than not.

Last edited:

sippyCUP

n3wb
Reaction score
While you're waiting for some replies, play around some with IPVM Camera Calculator V3 ... type in your address, add some cameras to the Google Maps image of your property (I think you can add up to three), change the model numbers to cameras you're considering, then position them around the house and check out their simulated images.

If you want the best chance of ID'ing someone when the light is low (i.e. dusk to dawn), look at Dahua Starlight or Hikvision Dark Fighter models. 2MP Starlight models have been beyond popular here ... about the best low-light performance for the buck. Lots of review/owner threads in the Dahua forum here. Dahua recently came out with some 4MP Starlight+ models that might beat the 2MP Starlights, but they're so new that reviews haven't been posted yet. If it's not a Dahua Starlight or Hikvision Dark Fighter, you're not likely going to have a good low-light experience with it. And to be honest, as good as the Starlight/Dark Fighters are, it's more like "they suck the least in low light". It can still be a challenge with them to get blur-free motion video when the light is low, despite the fact that's what they're designed for. Non-Starlight/Dark Fighters will be way more of a struggle, IMO.

Also remember that when lights automatically turn on at night, if the camera is left in AUTO mode (where it flips between color and B/W based on the light levels... this usually the default setting), the light is likely to cause the camera to flip from B/W back to COLOR... takes a second or two for that to happen and the video quality while it's happening can be crap. So you may have to force your cameras to stay in B/W mode at night to avoid that. Even then, the camera will probably self-adjust, it usually isn't as abrupt. Lights coming on when it's dark can sometimes be more of a PITA for the camera than not.
Thanks for the good points aristobrat! Luckily these lights only turn on once a night at dusk, they don't turn on when people approach by motion. Definitely looking at the Dahua cameras!