Ghosting; clock feezing then jumping forward

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 Hikvision 4 MP cameras (DS-2CD2342WS-I) connected to an NVR (7616-NI-SP). This is an offline system, not connected to the net.
This is a replacement system, installed by the security company to replace the previous system (3 MP cameras connected to a 7606 NVR - two of the cameras developed faults with the infrared function.)
The security company doesn't know how to fix the following problems.
I have very little tech knowledge. I'm hoping I can make some adjustments and fix the problems myself. I can log into the system as an administrator. The security company can attend, if need be, and do any adjustments that can't be done by me.
The previous system had none of these problems.
I'd be very grateful for any advice. Thanks.

1. Jolting motion - cars driving past the house are not moving smoothly.
Dropbox - ch01_20180202065058.mp4
Dropbox - ch01_20180202075649.mp4

2. Clock freezing, then jumping forward.
Bird flies up into the air, freezes, disappears.

3. Ghosting plus clock freezes then jumps forward
Bird walking on the ground

Last edited:

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually, I was wondering if the exposure rate of the cameras is synched with the exposure rate in the NVR. Could that be causing the problems?
Also, I've read elsewhere online that the 4 MP cameras can have ghosting if the DNR is set too high.
Any thoughts? Thanks for your suggestions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, I was wondering if the exposure rate of the cameras is synched with the exposure rate in the NVR. Could that be causing the problems?
Also, I've read elsewhere online that the 4 MP cameras can have ghosting if the DNR is set too high.
Any thoughts? Thanks for your suggestions.
That is not the kind of ghosting you see with DNR...that looks like dropped frames...
first try matching the iframe interval on the camera interface to the fps.
also what exact model hard drive is being used and what bitrates are you using...
The company that installed this should take their system back and issue a refund...they should be the ones ironing it out..

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
1. Jolting motion - cars driving past the house are not moving smoothly.
That's because the frame rate is set at 8fps - unusually slow.
Get a refund
Might be the best approach.
I have 3 Hikvision 4 MP cameras (DS-2CD2342WS-I) connected to an NVR (7616-NI-SP).
Despite there only being 3 cameras - that's an old, slow NVR that's not a good match to 4MP cameras.
Maybe ask if they would install instead an NVR that's a better match to the cameras, such as a DS-7608NI-K2 or similar.

Vico

n3wb
Reaction score
Turn off H.264+ or H.265+ encoding.
I get the same issue when i use H.264+ or H.265+

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, all, for your suggestions.

That's because the frame rate is set at 8fps - unusually slow.
Can you give me some idea of the range it at which it should be set?

It looks as if I am going to have to tell the security company what the problems are and how to fix them.

Despite there only being 3 cameras - that's an old, slow NVR that's not a good match to 4MP cameras.
Maybe ask if they would install instead an NVR that's a better match to the cameras, such as a DS-7608NI-K2 or similar.
I had wondered if there was a problem with the HDD in the NVR. Other problems I've noticed with the NVR: in Playback, the clock that runs on the footage is out of sync by one second with the small clock that runs at the bottom of the playback screen. And many files have start and end times that differ (by several seconds) in Playback, Export Normal and Export Event. The previous camera system had none of these problems.

I had been wondering if there was some problem with data transfer between the cameras and the NVR. It appears there is missing data. The suggestion that the NVR is too old and too slow for the cameras makes sense.

The security company offers one Hikvision system. They're currently offering
Hikvision HIK-7604NI-K1-4P NVR
Hikvision DS-2CD2355FWD-I 5MP WDR EXIR Turret Network Cameras

Do you think that NVR would be compatible to the 4 MP cameras?

Last edited:

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
Turn off H.264+ or H.265+ encoding.
I get the same issue when i use H.264+ or H.265+
As I understand it, turning off H.264+ / H.265+ encoding would result in files taking up more space on the HDD.

What part of the system do I need to access to turn off H.264+ / H.265+ encoding? (I can log in as Admin and change settings there, if that's what's needed.)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you give me some idea of the range it at which it should be set?
For surveillance footage, 15fps is a reasonable minimum, but 20-25fps is used by those who like to see a 'smoother' playback.
I had wondered if there was a problem with the HDD in the NVR.
Not very likely - however, if the web GUI on that firmware has the HDD SMART detail capability it would be worth checking the counts against the attributes that may indicate a problem.

TJ01

n3wb
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised to find that the hardrive you was supposed to have isnt the one installed. I purchased a nvr 7608 that was supposed to have a 3tb western digital purple drive in. When I came to add another WD purple drive for extra storage I found a Seagate 3tb desktop drive inside. After about 6months I started getting what you are describing where dropped frames and freezing. The read error on that drive is just one long number now. It doesn’t happen on the WD purple drive and I can tell which hardrive is recording just by this problem.
You can lower the frame rate and quality on a couple of cameras, that has stopped the birds freezing and time missed and keep the main camera like front area running normal.

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
For surveillance footage, 15fps is a reasonable minimum, but 20-25fps is used by those who like to see a 'smoother' playback.
Thanks, Alastair. I logged in and looked at Maintenance-->System Info-->Record. The frame rate for the three cameras is 1/16 fps. The frame rate for the unused channels (displayed in paler, gray text) is 25 fps.

...if the web GUI on that firmware has the HDD SMART detail capability it would be worth checking the counts against the attributes that may indicate a problem.
Not sure I can look for that. I'm limited by having access only via Admin login.

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised to find that the hardrive you was supposed to have isnt the one installed.
This is alarming. Did you purchase a 'gray import' or the 'official' product?

You can lower the frame rate and quality on a couple of cameras, that has stopped the birds freezing and time missed and keep the main camera like front area running normal.
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm reluctant to lower the quality of images on any of the cameras. The system was installed after having home security issues. I've once supplied footage to the police (footage of an intrusion on to the property). I need the system working properly, in case of any further security issues.

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
Sincere thanks, alastairstevenson, fenderman, Bink, Vico, TJ01. Your comments and suggestions were very helpful and enabled me to make some cogent points to the security company. They eventually replaced the NVR.

New NVR: Hikvision DS-7604 NI-K1/4P. The security company said I requested this model. I did not. I'd never heard of this model. As soon as it was installed, a few problems became apparent. Screen goes blank (briefly) or coloured bars across bottom of screen (briefly). This seems to affect perhaps one file in ten. The previous two NVRs did not have this problem.
A few examples:

https://vimeo.com/285813871

https://vimeo.com/286660523

Could any of you suggest what might be causing this (and how to fix it)? Again, thanks.

Vico

n3wb
Reaction score
I think it is network packet loss. If check the diagnosis log on the camera, you will see the network adapter toggling on/off.
[33854.645552] net eth0: lp: sym: 0, asym: 0
[33854.645571] libphy: e000e000.etherne:01 - Link is Down
[33856.645459] net eth0: lp: sym: 1, asym: 0
[33856.645478] libphy: e000e000.etherne:01 - Link is Up - 100/Full
[35474.645456] net eth0: lp: sym: 0, asym: 0
[35474.645474] libphy: e000e000.etherne:01 - Link is Down
[35476.645456] net eth0: lp: sym: 1, asym: 0
[35476.645474] libphy: e000e000.etherne:01 - Link is Up - 100/Full

How long are you network cable runs?

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
The longest cable is perhaps 12 metres. Nothing has changed (with the cables). The only change is the new NVR. The two former NVRs did not have this problem.
The security company says it is "interference". I find that a bit odd. (Why did the interference start the minute this NVR was installed...?)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The longest cable is perhaps 12 metres. Nothing has changed (with the cables). The only change is the new NVR. The two former NVRs did not have this problem.
The security company says it is "interference". I find that a bit odd. (Why did the interference start the minute this NVR was installed...?)
No way... Demand your money back... If they refuse post their information here and file a complaint in small claims court. Point them to this thread and tell them that an internet search of their company name will likely point to this thread as one of the top Google results.

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
Vico, where can I find that log? I've found a general log in Maintenance->Log information. It logs events such as "start recording", "stop recording" and many other things...but none of the info you've shown in your post.

fenderman, thanks for your suggestions. I can't get my money back. The original camera system was installed more than three years ago. I need the system up and running, 24/7; it was installed after I had home security issues.
I presently have a complaint with Consumer Affairs, lodged last November. After months of the security company's messing about, things changed after I lodged the complaint. Within 24 hours he offered to replace the entire system (NVR and three cameras). With Consumer Affairs monitoring his actions, things are getting done. But still the problems persist.

He is due to attend this coming Wednesday. He says he has received advice from his supplier and the distributor; that he wants to try some adjustments which he hopes will fix the problem.

Vico

n3wb
Reaction score
System -> Maintenance -> Upgrade & Maintenance tab -> click button Diagnose Information.
Open the log in a text editor and under "dmesg", look at the bottom of that section.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Vico, where can I find that log? I've found a general log in Maintenance->Log information. It logs events such as "start recording", "stop recording" and many other things...but none of the info you've shown in your post.

fenderman, thanks for your suggestions. I can't get my money back. The original camera system was installed more than three years ago. I need the system up and running, 24/7; it was installed after I had home security issues.
I presently have a complaint with Consumer Affairs, lodged last November. After months of the security company's messing about, things changed after I lodged the complaint. Within 24 hours he offered to replace the entire system (NVR and three cameras). With Consumer Affairs monitoring his actions, things are getting done. But still the problems persist.

He is due to attend this coming Wednesday. He says he has received advice from his supplier and the distributor; that he wants to try some adjustments which he hopes will fix the problem.
In the US the statute of limitations for a contract matter is 6 years your location may be different. This thing never worked right. This is 99 percent a cable issue. They may have used subpar CCA copper clad aluminium, poor terminations, or damaged the cable somewhere during installation.