Gmail Setup .... "Test" Fails

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I assume tracecert time.windows.com would work as well to provide a functioning IP address?

At a bit of a loss at this point as to what to do next. Hoping to have email functionality setup in time for the holidays.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have tried both unfortunately.

Wonder if I can SSH into the camera via PuttySSH and somehow send a command to see if I can get out to the internet from the camera itself.

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have tried both unfortunately.

Wonder if I can SSH into the camera via PuttySSH and somehow send a command to see if I can get out to the internet from the camera itself.
@pcb,
You can, run a ping to 8.8.8.8 if it works your camera gets out. If the ping does not reach it then your good.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dont I want the camera to get out for it To be capable of sending me email alerts?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All my cameras are blocked from the internet both in and out bound. It is a major security risk. Use the NVR or bi to send.

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dont I want the camera to get out for it To be capable of sending me email alerts?
@pcb On my ASUS router I have a parental controls page. In there I put my cameras IP and that blocks it from getting out to the net but run an IPTABLE command to allow email alerts out.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thx.. Not sure what an IP Table command is.

But while I can get email alerts from my NVR (and I guess the NVR doesn't email video snips or pics unfortunately), my cameras don't seem to want to send anything out which seems to imply to me they are still blocked from communicating outwards despite all the changes I made above.

Frustrating as I find the NVR alerts somewhat worthless without snippits.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmmm....looks like neither the cameras nor NVR send out jpg's or clips of an event? That's odd as I could have sworn they did, but maybe I'm thinking of my old TP-Link camera that did that.

Crap, set up intrusion detection and line crossing, and getting about 80 emails an hour right now so clearly something is not right or I have the sensitivity too high (or low??). I think a flapping cover on my patio table is causing it for one of the cameras, not sure about some of the others.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
looks like neither the cameras nor NVR send out jpg's or clips of an event?
They both can send snapshots, check the email configuration settings.

I think a flapping cover on my patio table is causing it for one of the cameras, not sure about some of the others.
If you temporarily enable 'Rules' in the system settings, on Playback it will show you what triggered the event.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Rules? So it's in Config then System Settings? Don't see it there in the NVR settings.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks.. I solved this a few mo this ago. Could have sworn I put the resolution here unless it was another thread... Unfortunately now I can't recall what it was!