Gonna build 2nd BI system, questions

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Got a different model, instruction mention nothing about cascading a second router to set up a second subnet. I was able to get system running but I didn't like being able to access main router web page from second router subnet, which means to me it not separate unless I don't understand things. Because of this I got confused on how to allow port forwarding because allowing it on second router didn't allow access from outside, as I tested with canyouseeme and BI's Remote Access Wizard. So basically I have to port forward something (maybe 2nd router, which scared me) and so I not confident in playing with it, for now.

Its possible fios router will only see second router as a switch, not a install place so have to wait to play. Thanks Fend and Rupp, I learned from your posts.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can turn off the DHCP of second router and it will act like a switch. You would then configure router 1 to port forward for access to BI.

Sentusing Tapatalk

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
You can turn off the DHCP of second router and it will act like a switch. You would then configure router 1 to port forward for access to BI.

Sentusing Tapatalk
Thanks for info, unfortunately if I turn off DHCP on second router I cannot have a second subnet, everything will be on main router subnet. Well that might be only choice.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I already have this On-Q enclosure with cable splitter from ONT and Telephone splitter. I want to add a POE module for this unit, space is tight for place is it ok to use this ON-Q.

Attachments

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Specs suggest that it shouldn't have a problem. Going to need the power supply too for this device.

Sentusing Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That thing is WAY overpriced for a 4 port poe switch.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where did you see a price at? I would have mentioned something if I had seen it listed somewhere.

Sentusing Tapatalk

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yikes! You can get at least two good PoE switch for the price and 4 decent ones for the same.

Sentusing Tapatalk

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
This enclosure (in utility room) makes for nice setup space wise for planned camera network, space is tight in house, so for the bucks the DA1458 8-Port Gigabit Switch with PoE has to be able to handle 4 low light outside cams. that's my concern.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Each port gives 15.4watts which is more than you will need for a cam... You should be fine for four cams.

Sentusing Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This enclosure (in utility room) makes for nice setup space wise for planned camera network, space is tight in house, so for the bucks the DA1458 8-Port Gigabit Switch with PoE has to be able to handle 4 low light outside cams. that's my concern.
That switch is not significantly smaller than a 45 dollar 4 port poe switch...you can still put it in the box.